1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Is now the best time to buy PC hardware?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 13 Mar 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Gotta be honest, I'm leaning towards not buying a damned thing online. Who knows whether postal services will go skeleton staff at absolute most, resulting in lost parcels?

Seems easier to just not buy stuff for however long this ****-show runs for.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It's always the best time to buy new hardware, natch.

The_Crapman and kim like this.
  4. kim

kim hardware addict

It's a fact that prices are decreasing, Gaz-oil for exemple is getting really cheaper, and for hardware, well, this morning, I just bought a Gigabyte Aorus RX 580- 8GO for 220 euros, while it was 330 last month :naughty:, but TBH, I start to fear about future, many factories are closing here, or get rid of their tempers, and I feel some kinda hostile climat between people, even in my company, so better to stay home and buy new toys :grin:

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I've yet to see Amazon drop the price of the 9900K to the level I managed to snag one at back in July, £405.

I still wonder to this day if it was some kind of pricing error :grin:

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Definitely.

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

It's never a good idea to panic buy. That is what causes people to hoard stuff - I saw the salaryman in front of me in the convenience store with his arms full of toilet roll (easily 40 rolls) early last week. Next day the NHK News runs a piece about people panic buying and hoarding toilet roll. It turns into a kind of weird competition, too; some people freak out and start emptying the shelves of stuff, and then even people who aren't too worried start doing the same thing because they don't want to be "caught short". If people just bought what they normally do, maybe picking up an extra pack of critical stuff (not one guy emptying the shelves) when this sort of stuff first hits the news, by the time it gets bad - you've got extra supplies for a month or two.

If you've got the spare capital and want to buy some new toys, do so! But buying computer kit "on the off-chance" - or worse, spending money you don't have(!) - when you may have other things to worry about than HDD prices or RAM prices or what-have-you - is foolishness. Justifying it by saying prices might go up... yes, and? Markets fluctuate. Things will get cheaper again. And if all production stops, and you can't buy any more, everyone will have bigger problems.

adidan likes this.
  8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I have panic bought 300 packets of super glue and 50 inner tubes.

The_Crapman likes this.
  9. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

I have been receiving steady packages from china for my electronics side gig (to my electronics job), delay doesn't seem to be package delivery, that is almost all automated until it hits your home town, its labor and backlog

that is now, what will it be in a month or 2? dunno

10. kim

kim hardware addict

I dunno if your post was correlative to mine, I felt so as you used my words (buying new toys), and I also slightly felt an antagonism :grin:, but it is a public space of expression so anyone can express his opinions, whether we're agree or not, as long as we respect each other's and remain polite, that's the purpose of a forum, so no harm.
    What I meaned to say is opposite to a panic behavior, I don't want to stress and brake out in a panic, what will happen will happen, I won't hoard any toilet roll or food, I didn't changed my behavior except taking more hygiene cautiousness, and lessen interractions with the crowd, but I don't spend money I don't have, I have money and I work hard enough to offer me the things I want, and it's often hardware, and if prices decreasing, I take this opportunity, that was the topic here, and if comes a day where this pandemy is spreading around my area, I might start to worry about other things than HDD prices, until that day, I dayly open a good bottle of wine and enjoy the good times while there are some still....carpe diem

Last edited: 14 Mar 2020
  11. Paradigm Shifter

It wasn't aimed at you.

It was not meant to be rude or antagonistic.

I know that opinion columns are just that, but this one rubbed me the wrong way, which may have come out in my writing.

12. kim

kim hardware addict

Fine, I misunderstood, but even if, I didn't feel any rudeness in your words, just a different opinion, sorry if it rubbed me the wrong way too, like I said, no harm :grin:

13. Paradigm Shifter

Sweet. :D Have a good one. ;)

kim likes this.
  14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Regardless of what's happening in the greater world, I think now is a good time to upgrade if you need/want to. AMD has some bargain cpu's, ram and SSD prices are pretty low and there's been a mini price war in mid range gpu's. There's always something new coming and you never know what can happen as the market can be pretty volatile anyway, so I wouldn't wait for anything in particular.

kim and adidan like this.
  15. Xir

Xir Modder

It's a great time to revive the "Hardware Buyer's Guide" :grin:

The_Crapman and kim like this.
  16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Agreed.

I'm not going out of my way to buy anything but if you need something now is a great time.

The_Crapman likes this.
  17. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

I honestly think the prices will drop.....am i alone in that thought?

In a global health crisis, surely things only deemed necessary to the security of life will exceed their perceived value?

Last edited: 16 Mar 2020
  18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Only if Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Asus etc drop the prices, the shops have basically no margins to speak of and can't do it.

There is however another aspect to component pricing:
    All prices for PC components are decided in US$.
    So it depends on how the exchange rate will develop.

Tags: Add Tags