1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Features Minecraft RTX is a surprisingly convincing ray-tracing showcase.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 23 Apr 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. zimano

zimano What's a Dremel?

I remember seeing a game on Youtube years ago with real time raytracing elements thinking it looked really nice. The game looked really basic but the lighting made it look way better than other stuff out at the time (to my eyes anyways). I don't own an RTX card so can't test this kind of thing but to maintain speed, I think I'd prefer to run a game with raytracing elements set to max with the rest of the gfx details set to low.

3. Monkfish

Monkfish What's a Dremel?

Speaking from a purely graphical point of view... adding raytracing to minecraft is like gilding a dog turd!

4. Zak33

Zak33 Staff Lover of bit-tech Administrator

I just showed this to a devoted minecrafter... a lad nearing his treens who has crafted mines for many years - and he liked it a lot. I bet in real time movement it's stunning

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I saw the announcement for RTX on Minecraft about 4 weeks ago but, as the article date was 1st April, I dismissed it as an obvious April Fool prank.

Despite all evidence to the contrary, proving otherwise, it still feels like one.

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I tried the beta and it does look good but the performance is bad.

On my 3950x and 2080Ti I can only get 60fps at 1440p, so either the performance is poor or it has Vsync that doesn't go off your refresh rate or use Gsync.

Still though if they can increase the performance or remove Vsync then it might be better and also allow it on the none windows store version then I will play it more but until then, I won't be touching it.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Is that MS trying to make GFWL look good by comparison?:wallbash:

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

No, it's a completely rebuilt version of Minecraft.

There's the original Java version, which has piles of mods but also runs like.. a Java app. i.e. absolutely abysmal.
    Then there's the C++ version that makes up the 'Win 10- edition' used here, as well as all the other versions (Android, iOS, FireTV, PS4, XboX, Switch, Hololens, the desktop and mobile VR versions, etc). Actually runs very well, but has a different modding system and does not read the same world files (though these can be translated across as long as they do not rely on a pile of Java mods) or use the same texture/mod format. Install base of the C++ version overtook the Java version sometime in 2016, and was more than double by 2017.

The RTX version has some additional texture channels that did not previously exist in either version, so needs some dedicated texture mods to get proper reflection, specularity and emission mapping.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

You do realise I was mocking the 17 hoops they make you jump through to install it rather than just putting an "install RT version" button in their store?

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It's almost as if they are using the beta as an actual beta, requiring enrolment into a build management system and bug tracking in order to access it.

Tags: Add Tags