1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bethesda donates $1 million to COVID-19 relief efforts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 28 Apr 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Many of those dollars will be offset against tax, making it a low cost way of appearing generous.

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Being cynical is fine up to a point, but this place drives me round the bend sometimes.

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

What, you mean you see the good in companies?

I really enjoy seeing more people/corporations acting like they should've done all along, but I'm 100% sure things'll return to "normal" as soon as this blows over. Helping each other, being there for people who need support, thinking about others instead of yourself, .... that SHOULD be the norm, but unfortunately it's not. Not even close.

These gestures by companies are good and I'm glad they're doing something. But forgetting about their usual behaviour because they pulled a PR stunt in a global crisis? Come on, stop being that naive!

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  5. misterbuggerlugs

misterbuggerlugs What's a Dremel?

Just waiting for EA or Blizzard to do the same............. :/

6. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

They're valued at $2.5bn and their revenue is about $500M per year. To put that in perspective that's like living in a $500k house, bringing in $100k per year and donating a whole $200

Pete J, Impatience and perplekks45 like this.
  7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

"EA fires 90% of their staff, closes 4 studios, releases their newest game for $200... and donates $1m."

8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

But before you donate that £200, there's the mortgage on that £500k house, top band council tax, income tax, you have to pay the Gardner, your hairdresser, your accountant, buy food, clothes, car.....

9. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Indeed, there are overheads. However, I doubt someone bringing in 100k per year or a multi-billion dollar company can claim to be poor, or that donating 0.002% of their annual income is anything but a pittance to keep up appearances.

perplekks45 likes this.
  10. perplekks45

If you make 100k a year and you don't have £200 to give to charity (which you can deduct from your taxes later) then your money management is roughly on the same level as any Premier League club's apparently. I'd be worried in such a case.

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

They don't have to donate anything you know, and $1m is a lot of money. You guys act like they've got their employees to go round and **** on all the mass graves. Get a grip.

adidan and bawjaws like this.
  12. perplekks45

Thing is, they kinda do. Since they all depend a lot on brand image and public perception, they'll endanger sales numbers for future releases by not donating anything. And yes, I'm 100% sure that's why they do it. Call me cynical, but I don't believe anything these companies do is without one eye on securing and/or increasing revenue streams.

13. perplekks45

And those I celebrate, even without knowing any details. The ones made by "we just donated a cool million, folks!" Bethesda, though? Nope, marketing.

14. perplekks45

*cough*Fallout 76*cough*

Tags: Add Tags