1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Features Why I'm excited for the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater Remaster

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 28 May 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

You could link tricks with manuals in thps2 as well. Venice was a particularly deadly level for horse. There was one side of the level with a bowl in one corner, a nice long line of wall and fence to grind on and a vert at the other end. You could run back and forth for an age building a massive combo and some ridiculous scores.

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

This is true, but manuals gave you far, far less scope for infinite tricks then re-verts did. Re-verts actually killed a lot of the enjoyment for me because every level turned into a three-minute combo whereas THPS2 had a much harder cap on combo length, which made it much more interesting to play.

4. The_Crapman

It got harder to keep manuals and grinds going the longer the tricks went on, especially when your stats were pants, but from what I remember (many brain damaging alcohol intakes later) you could continue a combo after a vert trick in 2 still? I remember not liking 3 very much and that's when I stopped playing the series, maybe reverts and the easification of combos was why. Who knows.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I don't think you could go vert -> manual -> vert because you lost too much momentum doing the manual, so couldn't get air for the second vert. That was pretty much the entire point of introducing re-verts.

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Eh, my first THPS game was 3, since I never had a PlayStation 1. I bought the THPS1 port when it hit Steam, but I can't actually remember even having played it. I borrowed 1 and 2 from friends to play and enjoyed them, but I'd like see the series head back to its roots and remaster 1-4. The ones after 4 didn't exist.

I remember watching the Rodney Mullen short video in THPS3 and thinking, "is this guy human?" :D

7. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Spent a lot of time THPS2 but I preferred Dave Mirra 2. Probably a steeper difficulty curve but more entertaining overall I think

8. rollo

rollo Modder

You could vert manual vert, just needed a decent speed stat, was very hard before max stats to do often

9. graphitone

graphitone What's a Dremel?

Best thing about THPS2 was the soundtrack. In those pre-Spotify times it was a playlist that got me into all sorts of bands I'd never heard of.

Paradigm Shifter likes this.
  10. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

The same could be said for a lot of games from that era. THPS, Need for Speed (the original Most Wanted soundtrack was pretty good), Burnout...

That said, they were good at picking the one track from an album I actually liked.

11. The_Crapman

Tags: Add Tags