1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews Death Stranding Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 27 Jul 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

worth getting on pc, since my kids have basicly taken over my consoles, i had to get this game again its only lacking the cross save function. on pc i am on chapter 3 still take ages despite trying to take the odd shortcut

3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

It sounds shite.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It's the most marmite game ever.

monty-pup likes this.
  5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

£55 for a coin toss on whether you love it or hate it? Nah.

6. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

i love hideo, but my god this game was ****. massive disappointment.
    I really enjoyed the delivery thing for the first few hours, taking in the scenery using the tools and what not, but it gets old and never changes up game at all.
    The story is also the worse work of hideo. It's very forgettable and whatever.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

...so it's a typical Kojima game then.

8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

What the HELL is up with that last photo?!

Or do I not want to know...?

9. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

I like marmite.
    I loved and hated this game at the same time. (Played on PS4)

I loved the openness; the bleakness. I really enjoyed (after many months of full on action games) the slow-paced exploring and the story. Suddenly finding a bridge appear, or ladder ... OMG someone else has been here!

“Hello?”

“Hello!”

“Hello!”

I loved that feeling of dread at seeing or hearing BTs and trying to work my way around them.

But I hated fighting the BTs. Any cockup and it felt like I had lost so much time and effort. I got caught a few too many times and gave up.

I’ve added the game to my Steam Wishlist ... but I think that is a mistake and the same fate will befall me. If I could spread out the BTs by a few metres I think the game would be perfect.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2020
  10. Fizzban

So it would seem. Usually you can get a rough idea of if you would like a game from the varying responses to it. But this game? I can't get squat. I'm still on the side of "it's shite" though.

Maybe I'll buy it on steam for £2.50 in a few years and see for myself.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  11. Vault-Tec

The reviews tell you everything you need to know really. It's a walking simulator, with incredibly complex menus. If you are down for that sort of game? it's right up your alley. Sometimes I feel like I would like it a lot, other times I look at it and just think it would be a bore and a chore. Oh and it's quite beautiful and everything else. Still not enough to make me want to risk £55 on it. I have not bought TLOU2 yet because I heard it's pretty miserable and I am in the best frame of mind I have been in in many years. I will save that until winter, then dine on my own misery.

12. Fizzban

Hmm, reviews used to tell me enough about a game. But I've noticed in recent years that nothing short of playing it really tells me. I got excited about a few games and then when it was in my hands it doesn't click with me. Maybe I've gotten fussier as I've gotten older? I suppose I could call that more refined..but I'm not that up myself..yet.

13. Vault-Tec

I am so fussy now I hardly play anything apart from older games. Played through a crap ton of older games when the covid thing happened. About the only new one I fell in love with was Everybody's Gone To The Rapture.

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Hang on, the reviews tell you everything you need to know to determine whether you like it, but at the same time you are in two minds as to whether you'd like it yourself? :D

15. Vault-Tec

Well yes, because I am bipolar. No jokes, I could see myself liking this but only if I were in the correct mood. Sitting there for hours upon hours walking across terrain in this weather really doesn't appeal to me. Get me all depressed and bored though? yes, this could well be the game for me.

I like the presentation, the characters look awesome etc. It's quite beautiful too to look at, yet my mood is way too high right now to be playing something so painfully slow and long. I'm also not paying £55 for it either. I could probably get it a chunk cheaper for my PS4, and tbh? I can't see me sitting out 20 hour sessions at my desk. Not when the sofa is a few ft away.

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I've been on the edge of buying it for what feels like forever. But I don't want to pay 60 Euros and I don't want to buy from a dodgy key reseller.

I suck at waiting, though. This'll be interesting...

17. Fizzban

It is refreshing to hear/read someone else say this. I barely play new games. I mostly only play older games. Thankfully I like rpgs (replayability) and I also like replaying games in general.

I actually have a backlog of them because I have become so used to disappointment that I'm afraid to try them. My depression getting in the way of my gaming now too, it seems. Young me wouldn't have had a back log. I would have tried them all.

18. Vault-Tec

The late 90s into the early 2000s were my fave gaming years. There was no MMO at the time, so a lot of care and time went into games to make them killer. Stuff like Half Life, Need For Speed Underground (and 2 !) just dripped quality. They would even hire artists to make songs specially for the games, and A list celebrities to star in them (Brooke Burke yummy yum !). Then it just got sloppy. Every one busted a nut over online games but they just stripped out all of the single player content and released a few empty maps. The gameplay relied solely on the people creating it. Without people? there was no gameplay. That sucked for someone like me who isn't very social at the best of times, and was made worse by logging on to find pre pubescent oiks that wanted to tell me to have sex with my mother in their lovely little squeaky "unbollock dropped" voices.

I drifted around aimlessly and then HL2 came out. The next game that truly blew me away was Fallout 3. I figured I was going to be sorted forever, but Bethesda have too succumbed to the lazy trap like EA and all of the others. Bought that Star Wars game, fired it up very excited then realised it was totally empty. Yeah, didn't exactly make me happy I had spunked £35.

I remember a time when the online multi player was released after the actual game. You know? the game itself, what you were handing over £40 for. Then it all just became the same as everything in life now. Buggered until it had a ringpiece the size of a 50p and turned into nothing but a way of making money. Gone were the days of actually making killer games to be proud of. Now it was all 100% about money. Then came the loot boxes, then came all of the other ways they could find to bugger people out of money. Gone were pushing boundaries and raising the bar. The bar was stooped to the lowest level ever because who cares when you have a goose that lays golden eggs right? just cut the bugger open and let it bleed all of that lovely money.

Yeah, the video game industry has gotten itself into a really big mess. Maybe when it hits rock bottom and the arsehole finally collapses out of it from being screwed so hard we may see someone actually make an effort again*

*up to this point I have not yet played HL Alyx, but it may be a sign of change. I hope so. There are so few actually really good games now. They are all just meh.

monty-pup likes this.
  19. Fizzban

Dear fu*k. I remember. They made a game. If it was successful they released a multiplayer. Now they make half a game with multiplayer. And then say "you like? You like it? e eh eh? and Then sell the other half of it back to us like fu*king chumps.

monty-pup likes this.
  20. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

While I agree to a large extent, there are still great singleplayer experiences to be had in modern gaming. Take the excellent Doom and Doom Eternal. Or, even though I didn't get into it, Prey, a slow and story-driven innovator in the FPS genre. Then you have Control and the Metro games.

And let's not forget the indie scene with more gems than any of us has time to play. Roguelite games en masse, beautiful pixel art games, oldschool point & click adventures (if you like Lovecraft definitely give Darkside Detective a go). The list goes on and on, to be honest.

Always-online is a concept I just can't get behind. Multiplayer games have their place (I'm an avid arena FPS player myself), but the really outstanding achievements in game development have always been in the singleplayer space.

Tags: Add Tags