1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MSI announces 400 series motherboards will support Zen 3 processors

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 19 Oct 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I guess this was caused by the recent "announcement" by Asus. MSI are clarifying in advance, and possibly taking a bit of a pot-shot at the competition at the same time.

From what I've seen of it, it basically boils down to:
    1) Person contacts Asus technical support asking if X470 board (Crosshair VII) will work with Zen 3.
    2) Asus technical support person has not one iota of a clue, so replies to e-mail saying no, while saying they asked an engineer.
    3) Person runs to reddit with "story".
    4) Tech media reads this, makes a song and dance about it.
    5) Various bits of the internet explode.
    6) Asus issues statement attempting to clarify and do some damage control.

The difficulties surrounding PCI-E 3-based and PCI-E 4-based boards, AGESA etc do muddy the waters regarding this, so some confusion is reasonable. However, I thought it was annouced a while ago (May?) that initially only X570 et al would get Zen 3 support day one, while X470 and others would be Jan/Feb 2021...?

The only times I've had any engineer feedback from a technical support query was when they were copied into the e-mail, and provided a nicely detailed expansion to the boilerplate response e-mail. Man, I miss DFI; they really seemed to care. Although I admit I don't miss boards which aren't stable at stock - at least in Linux, Windows XP didn't care as much.

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

MSI actually said this back in 2019 about the MAX boards when they released them.

https://www.msi.com/blog/msis-max-motherboard-lineup

With that line they were promising to cover future AM4 releases or at least getting into a bit of bother if they couldn't I guess.

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

The way MSI have been going about things in the background with partners and with the recent news of them scalping. I won't be buying their products.

Hats off to Gamer Nexus standing up to them too.

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yes, I remember. But it blew up again recently (thanks to TechPowerUp/Reddit, I believe...)

As for MSI in general; I have bad memories of their kit from way back when they still branded boxes as Micro Star International. I have one MSI board at work right now, and aside from being a temperamental wossname for the first 12 months of its life (settled down after a string of BIOS updates) it hasn't been too bad. I still try to avoid them, though, simply from historical poor experience.

adidan likes this.
  6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yeah i'd not had the fondest of memories but I have to say I have nothing but praise for my B450.

Can't say it sounds like they've done themselves any favours of late though.

Tags: Add Tags