1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News US Department of Justice files lawsuit against Google

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 21 Oct 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

If I had to bet, I'd bet Google probably has done the bad things it's officially accused of. I don't though feel like I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to use an alternative - like when it was frustrating trying to get rid of IE completely as website compatibily was an issue even though other browsers were better.
    Every now and then i give other search engines a go and am always left dissapointed - maybe i'm not in the know but I'm not aware there's a better all round search engine than google - maybe google has me sheilded from all those google beating alternatives.

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I couldn't agree more. While I understand the appeal of something like DuckDuckGo for searches and Firefox as a browser, Google and Chrome just work for me.

4. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I've found Google to be getting worse. The first few hits are ads which may or may not be relevant, the bottom text is other suggested searches, and in the middle might be 4 hits from the same site. I appreciate some of my searches may be a little... niche.

02david likes this.
  5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I use DuckDuckGo by default, second line is Bing, Google is last resort, very rarely needed and I never sign-in. Microsoft may not be perfect but, if I search for something on Bing, I don't get related ads following me around the web. For browser I use Vivaldi. Used Opera for many years, since version 7.5 but, Vivaldi comes up against site compatibility issues much less often, whilst still being much like Opera to use (it was developed by ex-Opera people)..

02david and Fizzban like this.
  6. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I use DuckDuckGo as my default everyday search engine and it is great. Google not only have their searches bought by people so their searches come out on top, it also censors searches..yeah those can be bought too. DDG is more than good enough 99% of the time. And as more people use it, the better it gets.

Not used Google search in YEARS. Not needed to.

02david likes this.
  7. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I can't figure out how to get the Duck to show me shopping, like Google does. I must be missing a setting, but it's stumped me.

So it's the Big G for shopping searches and DDG for the rest.

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Shopping searches (tech shopping, that is) on Google don't work in Germany. I mean, it'll give me some results but they won't be relevant or useful in most cases.

9. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Tags: Add Tags