1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gigabyte and MSI launch 7GB/s PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 18 Jan 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Yay it's like Sandforce all over again.

Let's add a sticker and call it ours!

There was like what 3? Drives for the Sandforce stuff back in the day but about 5 gizillion SSDs claiming be be fastest and better than the next (that probably came from Kingston or adata anyway)..

3. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Does this really make sense to add such extreme looking heatsink?
    Seems like the faf from a decade ago of RAM heatsinks connected to the NB or HDD coolers.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Under non stop load those fast pci-e 4 SSDs do indeed get hot enough to thermal throttle without cooling, except in real world use you are probably never going to write 400GB in one chunk to it (writing 400GB in one go was what it took to get the WD Black SN850 to thermal throttle).

So for normal users the answer is overwhelmingly no.
    But chonky heatsinks are necessary to avoid losing in reviews under artificial loads.

Paradigm Shifter likes this.
  5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I'll freely admit my SSD use-case is unusual, but I can write 1TB to an SSD in one go with some datasets. And when individual files are 33GB+ (and each processing iteration writes out four of them) it is really, really not fun waiting for a HDD to read or write.

But on my gaming rig? Even installing the largest games I own wouldn't stress it enough to worry.

Tags: Add Tags