1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Press Releases Razer Huntsman V2 Analog Keyboard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 10 Feb 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

Ugh. I see that it's marked fairly clearly as such, so this could be worse, but please don't serve us a press release as "news". I gave up half way through the first paragraph, I can't stomach that much marketing hyperbole.

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

How would you suggest we make it clearer then? I feel like we've marked it as clearly as possible everywhere we could.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2021
  4. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

Thanks for the response MLyons, I appreciate it! It's not often you can post on a forum and get an official response.

I don't have a problem with how clearly it's marked once you click through to it, but as viewed on the homepage:

[​IMG]

There is only the text "Razer™, the leading global lifestyle brand for gamers" that immediately makes it apparent as a press release, and thus only if you are familiar with the kind of terms marketing people use.

Once you actually click it, then it's clearly marked, but on the homepage it's not clear that it's different from a regular news story.

My objection wasn't so much about the clarity of marking it though, as the fact that it's run as a story at all. My preference, if you just want to cover the release of a product without doing a full review, would be to just write a paragraph or two about it and link to the press release on the official site, rather than run the entire press release directly.

I always feel that running these things makes a site seem like a mouthpiece for a company and less objective in terms of their coverage - but please note that's just a general feeling/observation on my part, I'm not trying to have a go at you personally!

5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's the first time we've ran one for a while but it's something Myself and bedford have been asked to do but I'm open to feedback .What if we implemented a policy of doing something like "PRESS RELEASE: Razer Huntsman V2 Analog Keyboard" for the title of the article?.

Omnislip likes this.
  6. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

That would certainly be a big improvement - it would be clear even from the front page then before clicking through onto the story

7. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Agree with what's deing said. Would never have clicked through if I'd known it was just a press release beforehand. Would be nice if it was labeled better on the homepage for those of us that only read the headline!

MLyons likes this.
  8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

There's nothing misleading about the article - it clearly looks and reads like a press release.

You clicked a link, and got a press release. The world didn't end, you weren't rick-rolled or dragged off to an unsavoury corner of the net and had your identity cloned. Why you mad bro?

monty-pup likes this.
Tags: Add Tags