1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The Division Heartland, a free-to-play game, is in development

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 7 May 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Being a fan of the division games I have very low expectations about the new game, given how they claimed they'd learned from their mistakes in td1, only to repeat them with even more vigour in td2. I fear it will be some sort of battle royale affair and good 'ol freemium will be there to milk the teats of gamers.

Whilst I am looking forward to the new content being released later this year, the thought of another level grind is not so welcome. While they were frequent in the first game, they were also expected and it didn't take too long to get you back to near min-max spec, but the rng in this one has been dire, not helped by a total needing of crafting. Optimization helped, but unless you're still playing and grinding, maxing out a few char's worth of materials, it's not super viable.

I really wish they'd make a single player game, along the lines of splinter cell conviction type of gameplay (I say conviction as it's the only splinter cell I've played). No shitty flag strewn "open world" bollocks, just a proper, level progressing, story focused game. You can still have a similar gear/skill development system by replaying levels, increasing difficulty, have a stash/crafting mechanic that can be done in between levels, add a multiplayer mode for the PvP focused players with conflict and skirmish modes so they're not alienated. It could be great.

I hope the new game follows the destiny model of game. It was made for big raids and they've been all too neglected. If it isn't, I really fear for the franchise, especially with massive having 2 new HUGE IP projects.

Last edited: 7 May 2021
    wardogz likes this.
  3. wardogz

wardogz What's a Dremel?

Sadly I agree, i love The Division games, but, Div2 has had constant crashes now for months and they are either unwilling or unable to fix it, so, i'm not going to hold my breath for ANY Ubisoft projects in future.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

When they'd been goading us with news about updates coming up to the 2nd anniversary, then for the news to be there was no updates for the foreseeable, that was it. Was bad enough with the crashes, but play through the seasons again? Meh, pass. I'd been clinging on for weekly clan raids and the odd raid with randoms trying to get a ravenous, but I couldn't be arsed anymore. It's been uninstalled for now and in the rare bit of spare time I've had in recent weeks, I've been playing battlefield 4. Blowing up tanks and blowing up stuff with tanks is just so much fun. :hehe:

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

By making it free to play they are at least being upfront about wanting it to be a miserable mobile skinner box, unlike the various pieces of software that charge £50 minimum upfront and then go full mobile skinner box regardless.

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I still play Div 2 almost exclusively since launch (SHD 6100+ now) but that has been for only three reasons;

1) to build all the different (and god rolled) builds for the different scenarios and situations (bit geeky but I love discovering the complex interaction between weapon/gear talents, gear set attributes, skills and mods - you can discover some strange and surprising results when you experiment). Trying out these different build combinations is fun if you are into experimenting.

2) ...and this is the primary reason... the people I play with on a regular basis. The co-op element, especially when complex coordination is required (e.g. Raids & Ledgendary) is in my mind under-valued. Yes a lot of "randoms" just play selfishly and ignore teamwork but once in a while you come across great team players who, once added to your game friends list, you can join or invite for some great coordinated "shootin' stuff" sessions. I find it satisfying when a good team, whose weapons, gear and skills all compliment the team, smoothly complete an action that is very hard when in a group of selfish individuals. I don't play solo, too dull.

3) to help those at lower levels with their levelling up, dropping them much better gear (I don't need anything any more so share all good gear and all exotics), helping them with their builds, missions and projects. Myself and a few friends even have a running joke when we get a "newbie" into the group - let's see who can be the first to fill up their inventory. We regularly shepherd/carry people through Raids & Ledgendary for example. We even "farm" rogues agents (easy if you know the trick) for fun.

Yes the regular freezes/crashes that occur are annoying, doubly so in a game that is 2 years old, and the lack of new content since WONY is disappointing, I keep coming back to play with a regular bunch of people and pleasingly find new people to play with. I am not in a clan (nor do I want to be) but I still manage to find great people to play with.

This is all PVE though, I don't play DZ or Conflict (PVP) as the cheaters are rampant with no desire from Ubisoft to stop them. Every time they changed things to try, it broke unintended things, so I think they just gave up. Now they won't spend the money fixing a 2 year old game.

Whilst I will reserve judgement until I see it, I am not holding out much hope for anything decent with Heartland and think it is likely to simply be a way of extracting money from a two year old game whilst they figure out if they want to do a Division 3.

(If anyone here still plays and wants to team up, hit me up in game with a friend connection, Ubi name is Fingers_66)

Last edited: 19 May 2021
  7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Not played Division 2 since they introduced that Tower thing.

I still cannot get use to the movement etc.

Tried Division 1 a few months back, but struggled to find other players.

The one thing I miss from Division 1 in Division 2 is the Skill Builds but to be fair they may be in there, but just not bothered to look in to it.

8. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I may take you up on that fingers. I loved TDV but stuggled to find good peeps to play tdv2 which seems to be really key for endgame.

Let's let tbc classic drop and see how much time I have.

Tags: Add Tags