1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution gets warm reception

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 24 Jun 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

I was pleasantly surprised at how well this actually works when in motion. I'd happily play on quality mode, which lets me turn raytracing on (at ultra) on a gtx1080 on a 1440p monitor.

The Riftbreaker: Prologue is free on Steam, has been updated for FSR and has a benchmark mode, so it's easy to have a play yourself.

3. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

How do you access the benchmark mode? I can't find it in the options.

4. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Launch it with the play button within the steam library page (rather than thw desktop shortcut) & you should get 4 options; Play, Config, CPU bench & GPU bench:

[​IMG]

grimerking likes this.
  5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Even though it is decent (and let's be honest, it ain't more than that given the gap in quality it shows to DLSS 2.2), it works only in games very few people care about. It might work in big/popular titles in the future, but right now it's in the same sad corner DLSS 1.0 found itself in at launch. By the end of 2019 it was supported by 9 games, but some of those were popular, at least.

6. impar

impar Minimodder

VictorianBloke likes this.
  7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Problem with both these techs is the same thing that techs like SLI had, it required work and driver support, so is not just a trivial switch.

The other issue of course is that it is just fakery, SLI at least gave you the performance for full native render, these do not, whilst some things can appear better with DLSS it has had image and latency issues, so its not all positive.

Lets just have better GPUs please none of this rubbish and at 50% of the current price of course :D

I did try Anno with FSR though and yup it help push my frame rates from ~23 to ~30 but I'll take the slow native thanks very much.

8. perplekks45

This tech certainly has its place and I'm glad we have it. Obviously, it would be better to just be able to run a fully ray traced game at native 4K/120 on a 350 [currency] GPU, but... it's not 2045 yet.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

That very much.
    Plus game developers could do their f**king jobs properly.

If games like Doom Eternal, Death Stranding, Resi Remakes, Forza Horizon 4 etc can run at acceptable framerates on a potato then the rest of the industry has literally zero valid excuses.

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The problem isn't always the developers. Graphics engines, graphics APIs (e.g. DirectX, Vulkan), platform overheads, DRM, etc, all play their part too. All the optimising in the world isn't going to help when the publisher comes along and tells you you've got to slap something like Denuvo all over it. Most of the time companies don't re-invent the wheel with this stuff when they push out a new big-budget title, they tend to stick to known tools and technologies and maybe refine & tweak here and there. Hell, there's lighting code in Half Life: Alyx that dates all the way back to the original Quake game engine!

It's true that there's some really shockingly bad optimisations out there, including games that can't even use >4 threads very well. But unfortunately, as with many things, it's not just as simple as "game devs should do their jobs properly".

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Of course it is that simple.

If you are selling a product you have a duty to make sure it is fit for purpose, imagine if someone insulated a house like Koei Tecmo builds games or built a car that goes up the hill as well as Watch Dogs Legion runs on a 1080TI.

We really need to stop accepting shoddily made software with tons of issues (and that doesn't just apply to games).

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I never said we should accept or be happy with shoddy quality products, I said it isn't as simple as "developers should do their jobs". Developers in the game industry are often worked so hard that it literally harms their health. The ones you need to blame for shoddy rushed games are the not the ones who have to work long hours to meet the completely unrealistic and arbitrary expectations set by those who earn more money than can ever be spent.

Like I said, it isn't that simple.

13. perplekks45

Wait, did you just imply capitalism isn't perfect?

... decisions made in board rooms are often too far removed from what's actually possible further down the ladder. That is true and it's bad, but we should still stop accepting this and pre-ordering the next CoD, the next Ubi open world game, the next FIFA, ...

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Guy in the comments there saying "even Quake's work is based off Half-Life." Dude, you'll make Baby John Carmack cry.

Byron C and perplekks45 like this.
  15. perplekks45

They'll make me rage. Then I'll make them cry. While they'll be on their knees, praying to our graphical lord and saviour: the smart one of the two Johns.

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Exactomundo.

Plus smaller developers need to stop chasing an easy payday by selling their souls to blood sucking publishers in the first place.

If you sell your studio to Bobby "flipped his moms ashtray for profit" Kotick you don't exactly get much sympathy if you then complain that he works you to the bone and throws you out like last nights chutney when the game is "done" according to the release schedule dictated by some stock analyst.

perplekks45 likes this.
Tags: Add Tags