1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage 4 TB becomes a 2 TB and all datas are gone ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kim, 13 Aug 2020.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

Hello guys
    First of all, I want to thank again all those who are reacting, replying, commenting or supporting , I am very happy and proud to be a part of such a community :clap:
    Easeus scan managed to find more than a TB of my lost datas, and the rescue has just ended. I didn't lost a lot except a few pictures, I am rather happy, but what pisses me off is why it happened ???
    It's like Windows simply cancelled the GPT formatting, and refused to consider the drive as a 4TB :rollingeyes: ...honestly, I never thought this could happen :oldconfused:

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Glad to hear your recovered most of your data mon ami.

But as to why it happened and why you've had data problems twice in the past three months, that's puzzling.

kim likes this.
  3. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you my friend :happy:...yep, puzzling indeed :rollingeyes:

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

If I was a gambling man I'd put my money on wither a bad sata cable or (most likely) a power issue.

kim and adidan like this.
  5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Quite possibly.

You've reminded me of a few years ago I was having drive issues and other annoying glitches - turned out to be just the sata cable.

kim likes this.
  6. kim

kim hardware addict

Well, guys, I agree that a bad sata cable is very often the guilty, or a power issue as well, but in my case, I don't think so, and if I was a gambling man, I would bet on Windows itself, especially when the drives are linked by an external solution... I mean, when not directly plugged with a SATA cable on the MB.
    For exemple with the first 3TB I lost, I used a SATA/PATA/IDE to USB adapter converter cable. I had a Windows crash after an update, and the drive was unfortunately plugged on, and after the restart, it was in RAW with no more partitions...:miffed:
    This time, the drive was inside an HDD enclosure, linked by USB as well :rollingeyes:
    On the top of that, I already experienced issues with a drive full of movies, simply because the datas have been recorded on another computer, with another OS (Windows 8.1), when I plugged it on a Windows 10 PC, the movies were still visible, but there were no way to read or copy them, and the error message was talking about incompatible "fonts" ??? I started to read about this kind of issue but it is still unclear to me, anyway, at this moment, I thought about opening the drive with a Linux PC, and effectively, I could play the movies under linux...
    What I mean to say is, I love Windows, but I know it is still pretty unstable and generates a lot of issues, especially with hard drives...that is why I am building the Datamaster :
    https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php?threads/datamaster-a-monster-from-the-past.368570/
    With server Hot-swap cages, I noticed that there were no drive issues when they are are managed by the cages themselves...

7. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Did it not die once you connected it to the port on your motherboard?

8. kim

kim hardware addict

well, regarding my last issue, you're right yes, it died when I plugged it on a sata port of my MB, so you are right on this, it could have been a faulty sata cable, I reckon I have dozens of Sata cables, I just picked one in the box, hard to detect any defection, I gotta be more careful from now :grin: