1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 400,000 Wiis sold on Japanese launch day

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 4 Dec 2006.

1. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Its just a bit of sarcasm that site.

2. EQC

EQC New Member

First off, let me apologize for the following post...I'm bored and feel the need to make stupid logical arguments. Anyway:

bah! All that tells you is the AVAILABILITY of the consoles...not how much people want them. AFAIK, every Wii and every PS3 that has shipped has been sold. So you can't use any sales numbers (whether sales rate or total sales) to compare consumer demand. Even if they weren't both selling out, the price discrepancy alone is enough to add another variable to the equation -- there are people out there who want the PS3 but (1) can't afford it, or (2) can't find it. Honestly, the same can probably be said of the Wii, though the number of people who can't afford it would be smaller...even the 360 still fits into category (1).

Most wanted? Possibly...but sales numbers alone aren't enough to say so. By that logic, Christmas Wrapping Paper is the "most wanted" -- I bet Christmas wrap outsells all three consoles combined for Nov-Dec '06, whether you look at number sold or total dollars in sales. Perhaps a better indication of "most wanted" would be the percentage over MSRP that an item sells for -- in which case the PS3 would win....but again, the logic is flawed in that it really only applies to a few consumers who are willing to pay so much, and is strongly related to supply limitations.

even the site: http://nexgenwars.com/ that DXR_13KE posted doesn't reallly give you true idea of real world demand -- I've already pointed out that the sales numbers only reflect manufacturing capabilities at this point. In addition to that, the survey results are going to be drastically skewed towards the type of people most likely to even go to the site and pick a console (along with the number of people who go repeatedly and select the same console multiple times for some reason)...what percentages of the consoles do you think will be sold to parents buying for their begging children? How many of those parents (or their begging children) do you think will be going to the site to assert their opinion? (my estimates: 80% and 4, at least over the life of the consoles).

If we'd like to compare "success of the manufacturing" of the consoles...then that would be a topic for which numbers might directly apply.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2006
  3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

how is there 700,000 PS3 out there and there has only been sold about 369,231..... half of its stock.

4. Boon

Boon New Member

I tried to preorder a Wii at launch but was simply too late. To tell you the truth I've moved away from long gaming sessions and am looking for something a little easier to get into. Something to pick up and play with a few mates and the Wii seems to fit the bill. That plus Zelda and Mario will keep me happy.

I've played the 360 quite a lot (although no GoW yet) and I found the console admirable. One thing I couldn't stand was the noise; I know I'm being anal but I found it all very distracting. I'm not necessarily looking for the all encompassing, big set, big sound experience but others are.

In the long term although the 360 is a solid machine I just wonder how well it can survive in effectively two markets. The sales figures for the 360 in Japan thus far are simply unbelievable; I think less then 200,000 units sold in a year at last count.

Tags: Add Tags