1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 45% of all traffic is P2P, say Sandvine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Jun 2008.

  1. jweller

    jweller What's a Dremel?

    Joined:
    18 Jul 2007
    Posts:
    24
    Likes Received:
    0
    Tiered Broadband Usage Pricing on it's way?

    Stay tuned. Tiered broadband usage pricing will be here soon, Comcast, Time Warner, At&T and Verizon are "testing" it as we type. (See my links below)

    The 1.5 - 3.0 mb DSL plan I pay for never goes but a smidgen above the 1.5 mb minimum (http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest). I'd love to experience that theoretical 2-3 mb download speed I have purchased. I don't know if so called broadband "hogs" are the reason I don't get that speed.

    Comcast, Time Warner : http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/03/AR2008060303248.html
    AT&T : http://www.thestreet.com/story/10421256/1/att-mulls-surcharge-for-high-dsl-use.html
     
  2. jweller

    jweller What's a Dremel?

    Joined:
    18 Jul 2007
    Posts:
    24
    Likes Received:
    0
    75% of all statistics are made up

    75% of all statistics are made up. The other 25% of statistics come from a conspiracy of chimpanzee's in a secret room deep in the bowels of the pentagon.
     
  3. naokaji

    naokaji whatever

    Joined:
    8 Dec 2006
    Posts:
    1,879
    Likes Received:
    10
    I only believe in statistics I faked myself...

    anyway, everyone who has ever used p2p and looked at how hard it clogs down the connection even when its downloading at slow speeds knows how inefficient p2p is, It sends and receives far more data than you actually download.

    one click hosters Cheesecake
     
  4. rollo

    rollo Modder

    Joined:
    16 May 2008
    Posts:
    7,886
    Likes Received:
    129
    iwelller distance from exchange effects dsl speed to get anything 2mb + u need to be within 3mile of exchange.
     
  5. edjay

    edjay Wet and Gwyntog

    Joined:
    22 Jun 2008
    Posts:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    The CRTC (Canadian Radio-television Telecommunications Commission) seem to have found that it was all of a 2-5% inconvenience over a 2 month test for BELL CANADA. I have not studied the article, but at a glance, even that estimate appears to be putting forward a misleading picture for the general public.

    http://www.rgbfilter.com/?p=67

    It needs looking into by someone with more eyes and brains than me.
     
  6. ParaHelix.org

    ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

    Joined:
    19 Jun 2008
    Posts:
    279
    Likes Received:
    0
    Best Linux distribution = Ubuntu.
     
  7. edjay

    edjay Wet and Gwyntog

    Joined:
    22 Jun 2008
    Posts:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    Aye, Hardies the best to date: I believe it's also responsible for 45% of congestion on the Internet! :jawdrop:
     
  8. smashie

    smashie Cupid Stunt

    Joined:
    2 Jan 2003
    Posts:
    561
    Likes Received:
    4
    Good grief, I've been using joost a lot over the past few months, that's P2P as well. Although I've no idea how popular it is.

    I'm also seeding hardy as well.
     
  9. impar

    impar Minimodder

    Joined:
    24 Nov 2006
    Posts:
    3,109
    Likes Received:
    44
  10. led_zeppelinzoso

    led_zeppelinzoso What's a Dremel?

    Joined:
    13 Jul 2006
    Posts:
    184
    Likes Received:
    0
    Extra Extra, we’re getting ripped off!

    Atlantic Canada has horrible ISP choices and service. I’m paying through the nose for a 7 mb/s connection and it only clocks at 3, 5 at the most. I call to complain and they tell me its my computer, not them. BS it’s my computer… and now they slap on a 60gb download cap, so, no more folding, and I have to limit my torrents. AND the government has taken away our digital rights act. F this, I’m not going to pay 22.99 for a Metallica cd, I’m steeling that. And hey, when you make such crappy albums, you shouldn’t get any money.

    Sorry, I’m tiered…
     
Tags: Add Tags

Share This Page