1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU 4670k OC very high temps on h80i

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by total zombie, 20 Jul 2014.

1. total zombie

total zombie What's a Dremel?

hi, can any think why the cpu temp's are going quickly to 90c + on a h80i
    any idea's would be great, thanks

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Are the fans working, are they configured push / pull and is the pump working, check the TIM is applied correctly and it's properly tightened down.

FYI I found the best TIM for those coolers is the diamond paste.

3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Is it installed correctly? If the block doesn't make contact properly temps will shoot up.

Is the pump working?

4. total zombie

fans are spinning, pretty sure the pump is working as there a reading in corsair link, but could be
    a false reading, ive seen someplaces saying there can be a issue with the back plate, its kinda hard to say as its my mates pc who lives miles away.

5. Teelzebub

I have the H80i on the rig in my SIG and the temps are excellent idle @ around 19c max's mid 60c on prime 95 as I said the best TIM is IC diamond paste for them dropped my temps by about 5c.

Tbh I would suspect bad contact tell him to get some diamond paste warm it up first and put a pea sized blob in the middle and tighten the block down tight.

6. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

How much voltage is he putting through for his oc? What's he got it clocked at?

7. total zombie

1.26-7 for a 4.6 ghz, he's gonna try reffiting the back plate.
    thanks for the suggestions

8. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Are you stress testing or is this just during "normal" use?

If stressing, that sounds about right for those settings, even with the h80i. I have an h100i currently operating a prime95 smallFFT 4.5ghz and 1.264 volts and it's only been going for the time it took me to type this post and I'm already at....91c max.

I thought the plate/mounting was wrong somehow when I installed mine, and I'm not sure if the h80i uses the same system, but I too thought it was very loose like something was installed wrong. Turns out it's designed that way, and should tighten up as soon as you screw it in.

Haswell and Ivy just plain run hot due to Intel's design choices and there's nothing you can do about it without de-lidding.

Now at 96c after about 3 minutes.

Thing is, I NEVER push my CPU that hard during normal use, and I don't even know if there's any program I could run that would, so that is not a realistic scenario. For me, I do renderings from AutoCAD/3DS Max, etc.. and during those, even when they last several hours, I never go over 75c.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2014
  9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

How cold is your room? Is that 19C Delta T or the actual temp? If the actual temp, something's not right there.

10. Teelzebub

Lol been through this before I never have heating on in that room and the temps are a combination of the case and the cooling tunnel I built to isolate the cpu cooling from the rest, it gets air directly from outside the case via two inlet fans and is pulled through the cooler via one fan, Those temps are real

11. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Has this just been fitted? Or was it fitted a while ago, worked fine, then started overheating?

12. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Oh yeah... remember now. That's going back a bit though.

Bit unfair to give your temps without an explanation as the uniqueness of the set up though, as 19C is most definitely NOT normal :) The reference to it in the sig is a little obscure.