1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling 4870x2 cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mhadina, 9 Mar 2010.

1. mhadina

mhadina What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I need an advice because I am not happy with my temps.
    I have a Swiftech MCP350 pump + EK TOP + Magicool Extreme III 120.3 rad + EK Multioption 150 res + 3 x Scythe 1900 rpm fans + 3/8" fittings&tubing + Ek Supreme LT cpu block and Aquagratix 4870x2 block. Radiator is placed on teh bottom of the case with fans pulling air out.
    All this is inside Gigabyte Aurora 3d case and with open case I got max of 90°C under load and
    my i3 350 at 50°C. It is too hot and too loud for my taste. I have a fan controller and feeling is that cooling is doing a job because really hot air is coming out from radiator so maybe I made a mistake with rad on the floor?
    Should I change a fans with better ones or add a second radiator or something else?
    Please comment.
    by

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

can you post a photo of your machine.

I am finding this most complexing, you must have done something a little daft....

3. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

Have you tried changing the fan orientation and getting them to pull cool air in from outside the case?

4. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Change the fans so they are intaking cool into into the case. Unless you have a really open case (with a big mesh side panel for example) or a good few 120/140mm fans pumping air into the case the rad should always be a intake.

Even then with a triple rad your temps are incredibly high. :S

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

sounds like shear lack of TIM or really poor contacts

6. mhadina

mhadina What's a Dremel?

7. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

+1

Are you sure the VRM's have a physical contact with the block? Sounds like you could do with slapping some thermal pads on the VRM's

8. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

I switched cases from a very open well vented case to a more compact case and got similar results. Ended up with a simple cure turning the exhaust fan to draw air in and adding a fan to the side panel.

9. mhadina

mhadina What's a Dremel?

I will try that

10. mhadina

mhadina What's a Dremel?

I have done the installation of the block according to the manual but how can I be sure?
    tnx

11. mhadina

mhadina What's a Dremel?

I put some links to pics :)
    tnx

12. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

If it's any use, my 4870x2 runs at 30degrees idle and 50degrees full load according to CCC. Everest Ultimate says that the VRMs and I/O chips run a bit hotter under full load, around 70degrees.

13. mhadina

mhadina What's a Dremel?

Tnx.
    I am using GPU-Z and I can check what max temp was recorded in log file for every sensor.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

just thinking about this.

With the radiator in the bottom of the case, its still pushing or pulling air in and around the 4870X2, so there is no static air build up, which can be a cause of a temperature rise.

So this then got me thinking, did you get all the air out of the 120.3, most likely what has happened is trapped air has travelled out of the radiator and got stuck in the 4870X2 waterblock causing a cavity.

The bummer is everything can look fine at times, until its shifted and bubbles come out like crazy. I suggest running just the pump and move the case around you will more than likely find a whole load of air.

15. mhadina

mhadina What's a Dremel?

right

That's a powerful opinion - I'll try this.
    What you think about one more possible problem in this situation- hot air from radiator hits the 4870x2 water block worming it. Let me call it positive temperature feedback. Energy from cooling the water block is returning and worming a same water block again. Bad thing it is.
    by:nono:

16. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

The air from the radiator isn't focused at the waterblock so returning heat energy to the block is minimal but may cause some heat to be re-absorbed into the block.

I wouldn't worry about it, because the air movement is helping to cool the passive components that the waterblock isn't in contact with.

I still think your dealing with trapped air in that loop somewhere.

17. mhadina

mhadina What's a Dremel?

So an air could be trapped in radiator or water blocks - thats three possible places for me.
    I will try to run a pump only and move a case in all directions if there is some air inside.
    tnx

18. mhadina

mhadina What's a Dremel?

pics

Lot of pics....
    Does it look ok or not?
    There are some issues with a few holes at water block and vga doesn't mach 100% at the end near power connector on both sides of water block / vga....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits