1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 5-20min Load Screens on STALKER

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kraemer, 17 Jun 2012.

1. Kraemer

Kraemer What's a Dremel?

Now first time I played this game was when it was released and I never had this issue. But I got to playing it on my Laptop about 2 months ago and the loading screens are terrible. When I first boot the game everything runs fine, even the game play is great. Then when I try to load the game save data it can take a guaranteed 15min to load. Sometimes I have recorded 20min, and if lucky 12min. Now in STALKER (as most would know I am guessing) you have like 12 sections on the entire game map and you have a load screen for each section. Every time I transfer from one to another the load screen takes 5-7min. It makes no sense.

If it matters the game is running out of Steam.

Laptop Specs:
    AMD V140 2.3 GHz
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
    2GB DDR3 Memory
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

I am mainly just curious as to of why if anyone knows and if someone else has experienced this.

2. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Aren't any power saving settings that could be limiting the hard drive are there? Certainly seems HDD related.

3. silky

silky What's a Dremel?

I remember there was some bug that caused this, but I can't remember what the solution was. It was a long time ago that I played this game :(

A quick google search suggests that you turn on dx10 or 11 to fix it (not sure if you can do that with your card?) But beyond that you are going to have to do some serious google searching until you finally come across the answer. Unless you get lucky on here and someone can remember!

4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

De Frag your HDD. If it's Clear sky get it patched, it was a hard drive bug. Your computer's a bit slow too. But that's another issue in of itself.

Also disable prefetch, where you make a shortcut with the command -noprefetch.

5. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Also Stalker recommends 1 GB RAM and and a 256MB graphics card just for itself, and Windows 7 requires 2GB RAM to run smoothly- so I think that a laptop with only 2 GB memory total would also the most likely cause.

/2cents

6. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Hmmm, actually seems fast for a laptop... what have you done to get the load times so fast? On my GF laptop it takes 1 hour to get past the load screen.

7. freeclout

freeclout What's a Dremel?

Been playing stalker SoC and CS at the moment, thankfully not having any problems on my new pc. However I had plenty of issues on my old pc and remember having to increase the size of virtual memory by changing the pagefile setting. Not sure if this will help but could be worth checking out. These games are well worth the effort.

8. Kraemer

Kraemer What's a Dremel?

I couldn't find any power saving options, or something that was affecting performance.

I'll have to defrag later when I go to bed as I know it will take a long time on this computer. I googled disabling prefetching and got some thing and will maybe get to that. Sounds like a useless thing. Also it's not Clear Sky and if it's running on steam they usually keep the games up to date so no patching should be required.

And I understand having little RAM but the game play is smooth even with medium graphics which really surprised me.