1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding 5.25" bay drawer *NEW* How to make it

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MrWillyWonka, 28 Jul 2004.

1. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

U gonna create a guide??

2. cogitoergosum

cogitoergosum What's a Dremel?

well...with a little creativity I came up with a drawer from an old 6x cd drive!
    Unfortunately my camera f#@&%@ up and I have no pictures...:(

What I did was to gut most of the thing, leaving just the motor controller and rails and such. I then cuth the tray, so that most of it was gone, only the sides and enough structrue to hold the pos together. Then with a little creative soldering and a 9v battery, I used the motor to push the tray and front out, leaving an empty shell that is perfect for pens. Pop a pen in, and then push the close button and it closes up.

This isn't really a practical solution as you have to have two free 5.25" slots to have room to fit your hand and this leaves a large hole in the case....unless you glued a front 5.25" cover to the front of the cd tray!!! hmm...I smell an idea! :idea:

3. todi1010

todi1010 What's a Dremel?

i think if you guys would just gut out the try of the cd/dvd drive. You can attached your tray to the mechanism that pops-open the tray. So when you press the open button, your tray comes flying out. And that's my $0.02!

4. x3x3non

x3x3non What's a Dremel?

LoL i love this mod! what creativity!

5. MRKIKKOMAN5645

MRKIKKOMAN5645 What's a Dremel?

lol cardboard careful of fire hazard.. anyway good idea :rock:

6. MrWillyWonka

I finished making my modded draw, its really easy to make, I'll explain how to make it later.

When Shut:
    [​IMG]

When Open:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Side:
    [​IMG]

Its really useful for storage, I put pens, blank DVD/CD-R/RW's, backup files, installation files and boot files.

Doh, the computer looks bad on camera!

Last edited: 24 Aug 2004
  7. MrWillyWonka

How To make it

Its fairly simple, only basic tools and materials are needed.
    - the obvious - a 5.25" tray (CD-ROM drive or something like that - a non-working one would be sensible!
    - a spare 5.25" space
    - screw driver
    - drill
    - 1x screw
    - front bezel
    - superglue (extra strong) - u can use solder if you have a metal bezal
    - file - like a sander- pliers
    - grease - like vaseline
    May be Necessary
    - soapy water
    - scourer
    Optional
    - paint/spray paint
    - gloves
    - goggles
    - some sort of lining (I will explain)

How I did it:

Right, the first thing to do is to take apart your broken (unless u rather use ur brand new 16x DVD-RW drive?) CD-ROM drive, and keep large metal covering, just the boxed bit, not the flat part. Wash away any thermal grease on the cover, if there is padding on the insides, get some warm soapy water, and a scrubber thingy (get it off ur mum - [​IMG]) and scrub off the padding, just be really careful not to cut yourself on the edges of the metal, I got a few cuts from doing this, so u might want suitable gloves.

Next, get a pair of pliers and cut off any pieces of metal sticking out, and file it down real smooth. This is the optional part, you can paint or spray your drive, I sprayed mine silver.

Get your bezel and clip off with the pliers the clips which holds the bezel in place in the case - not doing this will mean that when you close your draw, you'll never be able to open it again.

Now for the handel, you can use what you like, but I have a door, so my handle couldnt be more than 6mm thick. I simply drilled a hole in the centre of the bezel and screwed in a case fan screw (not all the way), this is now the handle.

Grab some extra strong superglue (or solder if you're using a metal bezel), a superglue pen is easier, and stronger, dab glue around the edge of the inside of the bezel which will be in contact with the metal tray and stick it on the tray. This is where gloves come in, getting superglue on your skin can be uncomfortable and bad for your skin, and the fumes of lots of superglue can hurt your eyes, so wear goggles. - There are other glues you can use, but this is the only one I had strong enough!

Because the of the metal in the tray, I decided to line the insides with some coloured cardboard, you dont have to do this. When done grab some grease or vaseline and rub in on the outer side and underneath the tray - not too much, but make sure that it is covered, just to reduce friction. When done place it in the empty 5.25" space.

You may want to bend the walls of the tray inwards slightly if you have any friction.

The only flaw is that you have to use common sense not to open the tray all the way so that it falls out. The bezel should stop the tray from going all the way in, if it doesnt, you'll have to make some sort of stopper!

Good luck.

What I would like to see is:
    1. A draw with a more professional finish and using materials from scratch
    2. A draw with lights
    3. A motorised draw - I was gonna do that, then realised that the motor would take up a lot of space.

8. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom What's a Dremel?

I'm working on one right now, I'm going to leave the shell of the drive in the bay, and have a drawer move in and out, and have the bezel on the drawer.

But what to make the drawer out of? I don't have any metal thin enough to work with, wood won't work and, no plastic to work with either. I know, cellulose fiber composite. :hehe:

I have the drawer curing right now, I made a paper drawer, dropped a pile of epoxy into the center of it, put my hand in a baggie, and smeared it all around, I worked it good into the bottom front and back. Right now it looks like wax paper. But I'm out of epoxy, so for the second layer of (cellulose) fiber I'm going to have to get some more because the only other thing we have is JB weld, and that is too thick to work with. I'm hoping 3 layers of paper should be enough to make if firm enough to use.

The next modding trend, use of cellulose fiber compostes. Paper case anyone? It might even be lighter than an aluminum case. :naughty:

EDIT: I bet I can make some awesome fan ducts with this :clap:

9. MrWillyWonka

Whats this:

cellulose fiber composite

:confused:

fibreglass, and btw, you spell fibre this way, not fiber!

10. xmario_sx

xmario_sx What's a Dremel?

I like the mechanism idea! Like the magnets and such or spring activated.... hmm i have two open drives sounds like a plan! :D

11. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod What's a Dremel?

very cool.. but just in case you didnt realize.. draw.. is actually spelled drawer.. peace out.

12. MrWillyWonka

And to me, realize is spelt realise.. peace out. :D

13. BvBart

BvBart What's a Dremel?

Right-Wicked idea there, and I'd just like to point out MrWillyWonka... that you = have the same case as me, but mine is black... Silver would've been so much cooler!

14. MrWillyWonka

bit off topic here!

I was gonna get black, but I have silver stuff like keyboard and mouse, my bedroom lights and nothing black, so I thought it would look better, but it was a hard choice to make!

Now... you're the first person I've seen that has the same case as me, have you got access to the firewire port in the front? I cant figure out where it goes on the mobo cos the connectors are different to standard.

/end off topic!

15. ZeroX

ZeroX What's a Dremel?

i just got a realy nice idee...
    I'm putting a remote controller in my next case (on/off, CD-out asf)
    the set is capable of 12 differnt thing to handle and 2 styles on each
    moment or permanent....

now to the plan...a you mentioned MrWillyWonka, a motorised drawer! the realy cool thing is that is going to be remote controlled! :D

16. MrWillyWonka

even cooler, let me know how that goes!

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Not in america. Anyways, it's pronounced like fi-ber not fi-breh

Great idea, I may have to try it out :)

18. fg0d

fg0d Banned

im working on this one, expect to see if V. soon :)

19. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom What's a Dremel?

Paper soaked in epoxy my friend, I don't feel like shelling out for glass, or having to learn to work with it so I figure paper is good enough for now. I just made a little paper box, rubbed the epoxy in, and it is cured now, it is still weak, I will probably need 3 layers, but it is definitely stronger than normal paper. :D

20. dmcm01

dmcm01 Banned

STOP PRESSES! there must be some way of keep some circuitry in there so that the PC still reconises it! so you can right click and eject it in explorer!