1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards 5 week old machine no longer boots

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Impossible, 19 Nov 2009.

1. Impossible

Impossible What's a Dremel?

I have a msi p55-gd55, a dark power 650 PSU, i5-750 with some ram and a gfx card.

Its been fine for a good few weeks until late last night.

I was browsing (hardly any cpu load) then I hear a hiss /swoosh sound (like the kind of sound when a cable touches a fan) then the machine powered off.

When I press the power button the mobo blinks its onboard LED and spins the cpu fan for 0.5 second then goes off.

I guess its the psu, but I dont have another spare that fits my motherboard. I guess im going to have to pop over my mates on the weekend and borrow his.

Now I am guessing it is the PSU, but are there any hints it could be the mobo?

Just want to explorer a few things before the weekend arrives.

2. Flax

Flax What's a Dremel?

A few things are worth trying before you start pulling things to pieces, if you haven't tried them already.

Reset the bios, disconnect all harddisks/cddrives etc and try and POST with out. If you have more than one RAM stick try booting with each on its own. Check the cable from the CPU fan to the motherboard, sounds unlikely but if the sensor wire is damaged the machine might be shutting itself off because it thinks there is no CPU fan?

It could be a PSU issue but my first guess would be that the motherboard has taken a dislike to something.

3. Impossible

Thanks for the ideas.

The cpu fan is a good one!

Imp

4. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

If you feel up to it, take a paper clip and test the power supply.

Unplug all the power supply connectors including the cable going to the motherboard (both the p1 and 4 pin connectors).

Then unplug the power supply from the wall and we're ready.

1) Paper clip the GREEN wire on the P1 connector, the green wire is the POWER GOOD signal.
    2) Paper clip into any BLACK wire, this is a ground wire.
    3) Verify your paper clip is plugged into the GREEN wire and BLACK wire and IS NOT TOUCHING METAL.
    4) Plug in the power supply.
    5) If your power supply fan kicks on, the power supply is working.
    6) If not, replace the PSU.
    7) If your PSU works, you're looking at a fried CPU or motherboard. You won't fully know until you swap parts with known good parts and the problem is solved.

Chris

5. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

i had something similar to this a while back. if all else fails (psu, cpu etc) try another gfx card.

6. Impossible

Thanks again for the responce. I tested the PSU last night with a paperclip similar to RR5 discribed. That Spins up.

I have got my hands on another PSU and will be testing the mobo today.