1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V 50" Plasma suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ModSquid, 8 Jun 2011.

1. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Well AVForums has reviews on the Panasonic and the K variant of the LG. Not sure what the model differences are but I would believe the AV forums reviews over any other.

2. ModSquid

ModSquid Modder

Thanks Baboon - those are some pretty in-depth reviews.

They do seem to be about slightly different models, though - the Panasonic is the GT, rather than G model. It seems the main difference is that the GT is a 3D set (plus some more advanced processing features) but at this stage I don't think it's worth paying the extra for this one, as the cheapest I can see it for is ~£1200.

The LG review is for a PK350, which is a model or two down from the PK590 I've seen for about £600, but the main thing I took from this review was the following amended quote:

"At this price point I would consider the PK350 to be the very definition of a Best Buy....the excellent video processing means that both standard definition and high definition images look fantastic. With this kind of performance, at this kind of price I strongly recommend that anyone who is thinking of buying a plasma on a limited budget should take a look at the PK350."

This has kind of swung me towards the budget end - I can save the money for the PC build if I get this one, plus the Panasonic 50hz issue mentioned in the review has kind of put me off throwing the extra £300 at it.

It is a bit sad not to go for a Panasonic again, but in a few more years we'll see if 3D has really been adopted (whether due to price drops or consumer uptake) so maybe I'll upgrade again then. For now, I might just "settle" for the LG and pocket the extra.

Thanks all for your advice - much appreciated!