1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$500 Installation of 46" HDTV

Discussion in 'General' started by Gooey_GUI, 20 Dec 2006.

1. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

I just bought a Sony Bravia XBR3 46" LCD and the store offered to hook up everything (but speaker wires seperately for $300) for $500. They gave me $200 credit towards whatever installation(s). I decided to mount and hook up everything for the TV to save the $500. Then, I took the opportunity to have my speaker wires run into the ceiling or walls (haven't decided yet) for $100 total. So, I figured to reduce an $800 installation down to $100.

I really have to wonder why they charge so much to install the TV. Is it possibly that they are building in costs for dropped TVs or what? The TV weighs 80 lbs (36 kilos). The store said the installation company wouldn't provide their own wall mount. I think it was around $250 that I paid for one from the store.

brick store vs e-stores

I also saved $100 when I signed up with my cable company for HD channels (which is $5 a month). They also gave me a $100 gift card. With the deal on the wiring and these others, I feel that I did better than e-stores on the whole. Plus, I get free delivery!

I paid $3,800 for the TV by itself. Then, I spent another $900 on a Yamaha 6.1 reciever and five Klipsh speakers. I also bought a 10" sub woofer. The total (with mount and surge protecter) was a few dollars less then $5,000.

Again, why is it so much to install the TV and components?

:confused:

BTW, I saved 90% on cables when I went here Monoprice (US, Canada)

Monoprice has all kinds of stuff. There was a TV mount for $29 that saved over $100. I even found a network media player! :clap:

Last edited: 27 Dec 2006
  2. aye

aye What's a Dremel?

Because all they want is your money.

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

^^Bang on there.

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Hell, I'd drive to Salem and install it for you for $500!

They're probably trying to bed you over on installaton because they are barely breaking even or taking a loss on the TV itself. Same deal as with the warranties. They lose money on every unit sold, but try to make it up on the accesories and warranties and other add-ons. That said, wouldn't pay $500 to have anyting smaller than a mobile home installed! :jawdrop:

5. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Thats bloddy robbery,the installation is almost as much as the tv im thinking of buying

6. dom_

dom_ --->

Why do we care how much you spent on a tv and crummy 5.1 system?

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

It tends to be a fixed price to cover all situations. Some installations will be simple while others will just be an awkward time consuming p.i.a.

8. Loz

Loz Blah Blah

Basically, they figure that if you're spending $5000 on a TV system then you're probably willing to pay a bit more to get it set up professionally.

$800 minus the $200 voucher is only 12% of the cost of the hardware.

9. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

Relativity and info for the situation. Maybe this would help others facing the same decisions. Like, watch out for store add-ons when you spend a lot.

I told the sales guy, "It was like buying a car." He answered, "He hears that all the time."

10. offroadracer789

offroadracer789 What's a Dremel?

...and that is the reason why i install everything myself.

I do not know how much work was involved, but from my experience, the costs to have stuff installed usually is not very bad considering the high cost of gas and labor. However, i do not have experience installing electronics as a job, just experience with general contracting.

I assume that the costs are higher since they are installing such an expensive device, and the possibility that it may easily break is the reason. Remember, these people are trying to get done as fast as possible, so their chance of screwing something up is much higher than yours.