1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 512MB GeForce 6800 Ultra pictured

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 28 Feb 2005.

1. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

Yeah, after having a lookie at some Quadro's on google it appears to be the same PCB, although i didn't realise the Quadro 4400 had SLI. In his system specs it said he had a reference 6800, makes me think he could have transfered the sticker/whole HSF and be trying to flog it on, but as you say, we shall have to wait. :blah:

EDIT: Still, even if it is dodgy, if it's working as a 6800u, 512mb graphics is upon us, and if he got a second hooked up, well, :D

EDIT, EDIT: The PCB is exactly the same, in every detail. :blush:

Last edited: 28 Feb 2005
  2. bsslove

bsslove New Member

Wow

wonderful things

I like it

3. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

a 512MB videocard :eeek: :eeek:

4. Tim S

Tim S Well-Known Member

Well, I have a feeling that the guy on Guru3D works for a big OEM or SI, hence why he has the card, and has had previous NVIDIA reference boards. 512MB video cards don't just drop in to your hands, as they say.

My sources were pretty indicative that it was a 6800 Ultra, but, we shall wait and see - hopefully I shall see samples sooner rather than later - later being CeBIT. :)

5. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Super Moderator Super Moderator

or link from a dozen posts up the page :rolleyes:

seems a bit steep for a card that will have pretty much identical performance as a 256MB one
    i suppose it would just be for the sake of having one before all of your friends and gloating about it, until they buy an identical card a month later for less than 1/4 the price :hehe:

7. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

:blush:
    Nothing to see here...move along.

8. Is it a question..

Is it a question.. New Member

i thought exactly the same. the card looks, to the eye, to be stupidly long. look how far it extends beyond the back of the pci clip!!!! could be a problem for some small cases or lan boys.

9. Is it a question..

hes removed it from ebay sale... now theres a surprise!!!!! nvidia probably got a whiff and noticed they were one down... so they just popped round for a quick word. lol. only joking

10. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

lmfao...I wondered why nVidia would let a precious 512MB 6800 Ultra reference board get out on eBay...

People can be so extremely dense sometimes. Just what if someone did the buy now :eyebrow:

11. Is it a question..

so funny... you should all actually read the guru3d convo. was piss funny for me :D :eeek: :D cuz once i got a whiff of the story the item was on sale on ebay then i kept on checking back on ebay as i read the convo. literally every minute there was a new page of replies. they really did bite into the guy and it just all went to pot and as i read this the item was removed from sale!!! if he is pulling our leg i hope ebay sting him with a huge minimum reservation payment due to non sale. LOL :hip:

12. Thrillseekah

Thrillseekah New Member

It`s told at guru that it`s a fake. to bad, its just the qaudro i think.

13. Tim S

Tim S Well-Known Member

I don't personally think it is a Quadro. The Quadro's have specific face plates, which this doesn't have - this card has one with Nalu on it. Nalu has only appeared on reference samples for consumer GeForce 6 boards AFAIK.

The difference between a Quadro FX 4000 and GeForce 6800 GT is negligible, except for an extra power connector and the extra circuitry required for the extra connector on the Quadro. I would expect the differences between the Quadro FX 4400 and the 512MB GeForce 6800 Ultra to be even less, simply because both cards will have a single PCI-Express connector, thus there is no need for the extra power connector that was placed on the Quadro FX 4000, along with all of the extra circuitry that went with it. In terms of appearance, the Quadro FX 4000 is a GeForce 6800 GT with an extra power connector, in essence.

I am not 100% sure why the Quadro does have the extra power connector, but lets attempt to quantify why...

When you run the card in Quadro mode, it is basically doing Full Screen Anti-Aliasing all of the time, (not just up to 8xAA - Quadro's can set 16xAA) along doing so on much more complex data sets than could ever be found in any current game engine from the large numbers of rasterised points and lines that need much more multipassing through the pixel output engine (known as the ROP).

The pixel output engine is a pretty big portion of the die size and if they are used for certain types of offline 3D rendering, they could well be doing full 3D with upto 16xAA for days at a time. Taking this in to account, along with the fact that the FX 4000 is an AGP part, it'll draw more power more of the time, compared to a 6800 GT. Also, it makes sense for it to have a much cleaner power when being used for high stress rendering for days at a time.

Whether or not the pictures belonged to the Original Poster on Guru3D or not is a different discussion all together.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2005
  14. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

The top plate of the heatsink is the same on the 4400 and 6800, and he already has a reference 6800 with the Nalu logo, there are screws in the top, maybe they could have been swapped? However, it does say 6800 on the core, if the quadro is different, then it's surely real.

15. Iceatcs

Iceatcs New Member

personally, to me think it is fake too.
    then the picture i made, to see how much same between 6800 & 4400

[​IMG]

16. Leeum

Leeum New Member

I'd say that is tbh. Any shots of the underside of that Quadro?

17. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Looks like a highly skilled photoshop to me :blah:

18. Iceatcs

Iceatcs New Member

well go search google of 4400 but that picture i only can find. dont see any more pic of 4400..
    photoshop? nah i copied it from one of net... not me, maybe them :D

i mean i did that picture of 2 cards together to compare not I've photoshop it

19. Tim S

Tim S Well-Known Member

If you read what I wrote, I explain the reasoning behind why the GeForce 6800 Ultra 512MB and Quadro FX 4400 are more than likely going to use the same PCB.

http://kingfung.com.hk/products/d_qfx4000.jpg
    http://www.ixbt.com/video2/images/nv40-2/6800gt-scan-front-with-cooler.jpg

The only difference apart from the molex and extra caps is the white connector near the TV-Out. There was no white connector on that card from all of the images that were in the ebay auction, whereas there is a white connector on the Quadra FX 4400. ;)

Just some more food for thought.

20. Iceatcs

Iceatcs New Member

hmmm yeah i can see now,
    see how much same between
    it make sense to me, :thumb:

bullox now i might have to think more for my wish shopping list to saving up in summer job

*sorry for edit messege as bottom url didnt work but i found my way the normal 6800 picture*

Last edited: 1 Mar 2005
Tags: Add Tags