1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 560 ti crashes

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Toga, 10 Jun 2011.

1. Toga

Toga What's a Dremel?

Decided to make a thread about this instead of clogging up the Hardware buyers guide thread.

I'm having some problems with my MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC which I'm using with the Antec TruePower New 650W. After running for between 15-30min when either watching a video on youtube or playing a online game that takes up a lot of resources, my PC with completely freeze up & requires a hard reboot. Once rebooted, my mouse (Mionix Naos 5000) always needs to be unplugged & put back in before it will work.

The clock speeds on the card are not stable either, see image bellow:
    [​IMG]
    Image is poor quality as I've taken it over teamviewer, but it shows the default clock speeds it's set at, at the monitor shows them all dropping down to ridiculous levels. Core clock drops from 880 to 51, Shader clock from 1760 to 101, and the Memory clock drops from 2100 to 135. It will quite often jump between the 2 levels at random intervals.

I have tried the last 5 drivers from nvidia, all to no avail. I've tried underclocking it to the base 560 ti clock speeds, i've tried a slight overvolt on it. What I've recently found out is that the card requires the 12V rails to be rated at 30A, but the antec highest rated rails (3+4) are rated at 25A. As was suggested in the May hardware list thread, i tried running 1 6-pin from rails 3+4 instead of it just taking it from the 1 rail, but the problem still exists.

I've found an old 850w non-modular psu that has a single 12V rail rated at 38A, so I'm going to give that a try tonight, provided it has sata power connections. But what i want to know is, does anyone have any other suggestions to try and fix it, or does it sound like this card is goosed?

Full PC specs:

Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz
    Asus P6T Deluxe OC
    Corsair CWCH50-1 Cooling Hydro Series H50
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC
    Corsair 6GB (6x1GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3
    Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro 7.1 Soundcard
    Antec TruePower New 650W
    Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB x 2
    Antec 1200 case

Thanks

2. CDomville

CDomville ^ I am THIS Possum

I have almost exactly the same graph when I start up Afterburner, and I have exactly the same GPU (though not the OC version, it seems) and PSU.

Underclocking the GPU shader is done to save power/reduce temps when it's not needed, it's a 'green' mode that the system does so it only clocks the GPU when it needs to, much like Intel's TurboBoost, but for GPU cards. Running at full load and clock all the time would (most likely) fry the card after a few weeks of usage. There's nothing that appears to be wrong with the card itself. Not quite sure what the problem would be, though.

EDIT: Also, I've got my card going through the non-modular rail, no problems. PSU related?

Last edited: 10 Jun 2011
  3. Toga

Toga What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling it might have been something like that, but wasn't sure. I'm more convinced that it's the PSU now, so gonna fit the card into my old machine with the 30A+ PSU, might need to reinstall on OS on that though, last one on it was the Win 7 beta :p

Gonna cancel the RMA on it the now since it's not due to be uplifted until Monday. I'll be out £100 on the PSU though since it's too late to return & there technically isn't anything wrong with it. Ah well, lesson learned & such.

Will post again after tonights tinkering.

Edit: out of interest, what PSU are you using?

4. TraumaticHug

TraumaticHug What's a Dremel?

Why do you say there techincally isn't anything wrong with the PSU? I checked around and quite a few people seem to be using this Graphics Card/PSU combo.

I have the same graphics card as you (though a diff PSU), and spent an embarassing amount of time looking into it. As such I read this (and many another :geek:) detailed review: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=29469&page=9
    This shows the power usage at idle, under load (playing CoD:Black Ops) and under mage-stress-load (FurMark).
    The highest power consumption was 357w. Which at 12v is just under 30A.
    Playing CoD, which would still be far more stressful than watching videos, is 271W, or 22.6A.

So even though MSI say use a 30A 12v rail and your PSU has 25A, watching videos shouldn't be stressing it.

Also, you mentioned using a diff rail for one of the power cables, so this would allow well above the 30A, so no reason for the PSU not to be supplying enough amperage.

However, looking at your Afterburner pic and looking at mine, my Core Clock is a steady 405, Shader Clock 810 and Memory Clock 324, though my Memory usage is 409. All I have open are several IE windows.

I'm interested in seeing if your other PSU makes a difference.

note: My PSU is a XFX Black Edition 750w, which tbh is overkill, but I look to the future (often with fear). This has a single 12V rail rated at 62A max. Your Antec has 52A max over the 4 rails so not much diff.

5. Deders

Deders Modder

Note these figures are for total system draw from the wall. Technically the Truepower new is more than ample, I'm running 2 168W 9800GTX+'s from one with no problems. Also remember that up to 75W of this will be drawn through the motherboard connector via the PCIe slot, so the 2 6 pin connectors will draw an absolute maximum of 12.5A between them. (2x75/12)

TraumaticHug likes this.
  6. TraumaticHug

Heh, I had honestly thought that was just the graphics card.. :rolleyes:

Their test rig is :
    CPU Intel Core i7 980X Extreme Edition (3.33GHz, 12MB L3 cache, hexa-core, LGA1366)
    Motherboard ASUS P6X58D Premium
    Memory 6GB Corsair DDR3 (9-9-9-24-1T @ 1,600MHz)

Which (I presume) would draw equal or more power than your's. So yeah, a healthy 650w Truepower New shouldn't be causing an issue.

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Don't assume it's a GPU problem guys! I would suggest you look at the 'Event Viewer' under 'Administrative Tools' and see if any problems were reported just prior to your hard reboot. It might be a simple storage driver issue AKA 'Iastor' which fits the problem you describe.

8. Deders

Deders Modder

If I only had one gfx card and both machines were at stock, yours would draw more, factor in the overclocks and it probably evens out.

The highest reading I've had is 555W from the wall, so about 470w from the psu (prime64 blend and furmark multigpu). During normal gameplay for modern games it's about 320-380W from the wall, depending on the game.

9. TraumaticHug

Have you tried changing the drivers? I notice you are using 275.33.

I'm using 266.77 without issues at the moment.

10. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

I've got the MSI 560Ti and the 650w TruePower New and don't have any problems.

I've maxed out games such as Bad Company 2 and Just Cause 2 and not had any problems after playing them for hours.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2011
  11. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

I have the same card and ran into a similar problem recently, although only whilst in Bad Company 2. BC2 began to crash an awful lot, occasionally back to desktop, but usually with a full blown BSOD. The BSOD message would vary so it wasn't very helpful. I don't recall anything changing on my system to cause the crashes and I hadn't updated any drivers for a good while.

Solved it in the end by doing two things; lowering the clock speeds to default, and upgrading my audio drivers. As I upgraded the drivers for my Asus Xonar STX Essence PCI-E soundcard at the same time, I can't be 100% sure that lowering the clock on the graphics card solved the crashing problem, although it's probably a good opportunity to check for newer drivers for all your hardware - just in case it's being caused by something else.

Looking at your Afterburner screenshot and comparing to mine, it looks like your voltage is a tad lower, I wonder if this is causing the instability? Maybe try bumping it up a bit to see if it sorts things out, mine is set to 1012mV.

[​IMG]

12. Toga

Toga What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the responses guys. I put my back out at the weekend so couldn't move the old psu into my main rig, but I popped the 560ti into the machine that had that in & it played through youtube vids all night without any problems.

I've had a few crashes with the GTX285 in the main rig now but only during online games, it kept going through Duke Nukem SP no problem. I'm starting to think it's more than likely a conflicting driver somewhere so I've downloaded all the latest ones for my mb & audio, will try them out tonight when I get back in.

13. Toga

Toga What's a Dremel?

Driver updates didn't work, and the PSU didn't work, even though it worked perfectly on the other machine. I'm convinced theres a driver somewhere that I've missed but I've no idea which one & the event viewer doesn't give me any step for a hint as to whats causing the crash.

I'm ordering up an SSD today so I'm gonna try a clean installation on that & see how it goes. I was gonna be getting one soon anyway so may as well do it now.

14. Toga

Toga What's a Dremel?

Issues all fixed now. Did a fresh install on my new ssd & everything is working perfectly. I'm positive it was a driver conflict somewhere but couldn't find out where. Thank you to everyone that helped with trying to find solutions for me.

15. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Glad you got it sorted in the end, these kind of issues can be a bugger to track down to the root cause.