1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU 5950X: strangely low benchmarks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boiled_elephant, 23 Nov 2020.

1. sandys

sandys Multimodder

So here's what mine looks like when running default PBO, you can see the EDC on the right is maxed out so my chip in multicore full load will not top more than 4.4Ghz, which is what limits it, opening up EDC sees me at 4.65-4.7 but that on my board caps single thread to those clocks too wierdly and actually whilst gaming on stock PBO with limiter in place I will see 4.8-5.1Ghz, so as this is predominantly a games machine I leave it capped.

When I finally get hold of a fast GPU I will spend more time tuning per core clocks but as my 1080 is my limiter really it is all good as it stands.

upload_2021-9-9_12-27-57.png

Sgoaty likes this.
  2. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

I was maxing my EDC too. I managed to increase it to 300A but that meant losing all the auto PBO settings so I actually dropped a few hundred points.

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup that was the same thing I experienced, it got the multi core up but low thread scenarios was not so good then.

I was playing with it last night again pretty much leaving EDC where it was but playing with the curve optimizer and with a negative 15 on that I could get 4.6-4.7 all core again and single core was back to a more respectable 4.9-5Ghz.

this pushed the CB23 from S/C 1565->1650 and M/C 28.5k -> 31.5k which is a nice jump, I just need to understand how to test the stability of this change as and how to tune it per core, you know finding out which core is unstable at which voltage offset, that will likely be a lengthy process to tune this for Max performance and stability.

Last edited: 10 Sep 2021
  4. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

Today I'm wishing I left well alone! I'm getting crashes in game now. Despite reverting everything i did yesterday (aside from downgrading the bios) :wallbash:

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I had an issue recently with my 3600. It wasn't doing what I wanted it to. It seems that power options in Windows now have control over your clocks and ETC.

[​IMG]

Have a play with that and see what goes.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Unlucky these things happen.

I did some further playing it does seem like PBO and curve optimiser is where it is at, leaving the board EDC where it is happy at 215, so multicore gets dropped to contain power but due to curve offset still runs a decent multiplier.

With my curve offset on -20, which seems aggressive but have found no issue yet, a little bump in vcore so it doesn't crash at low loads it seems to be working out, but I don't know the robust way to test the overclock on these clever chips, obviously full load stuff is easy but the stability issues are rarely there, it is normally found at low and partial loads when you play with voltage curves.

16.5k 3dmark CPU score

3Dmark doees suggest 14k is the average for these CPUs So I won't obsess about it too much.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X,Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X570S AORUS PRO AX (3dmark.com)

CB23 on this setting, so kind of what is possible middle of the road, I can get better single and multi scores but not on a setting that gets good performance on both at the same time.

upload_2021-9-11_16-25-1.png

Last edited: 22 Sep 2021
  7. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

I've now done some system juggling and have 4 X 8gb sticks. Same RAM except for capacity, same settings and I'm getting around 14.2k rather than 12k. This dual/single rank ryzen performance difference is really a thing. Incidentally my OEM Samsung 32gb dual rank kit at 3200cl16 was also faster than my Corsair single rank 3600 cl16

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yep I have 4 sticks of single rank, it seems to be doing Ok but I think some board just have different settings I have two x570 systems and with the same chip ones scores higher in most things without much tweaking, the other my Gigabyte games board has required a lot of twiddling to match my Asrock NAS board.

I've mostly been trying to get my memory clocks up and timings down to reduce latency from the out of the box levels of 60+ ns, trying to crack 50ns to be more Intel like which is why they do so well in games generally, failing hard at the moment, I can't run CL14 without getting WHEA errors which are errors the the Ryzen helpfully corrects so you feel the system is stable but it is not, there should be no WHEA in the event viewer, need to figure out which of the many voltages etc can help, not got there yet, around DDR3800@CL16 seems to be my error free spot, in that I can get zero WHEA and can pass ram stability tests.

No way I am going to knock 4ns off with these sticks, might see how tight I can go at 3200 later, but probably need me some low latency high speed dimms for anything more, which I can't be arsed to do for negligible gains really, I have had these sticks since Ryzen launch and obviously at that time RAM was not targeted at any AMD platform, so I am sure there is better out there now, I just like playing with this stuff, not enough to switch out.

Need to get me a graphics card now and move on from my 1080Ti, that is my systems biggest limiter making all this messing about redundant :D Just satisfying my desire to mess about with stuff really.

upload_2021-10-18_10-56-52.png

Last edited: 18 Oct 2021
    Sgoaty likes this.
  9. guru7of9

guru7of9 What's a Dremel?

Don't know why you didn't use 3600mhz straight up! Running at 3600 is optimal and anything faster is a bonus but can quite often be achieved.
    I did heaps of research and a safe bet for Ryzen has always been Samsung B die mem chips .
    Obviously you would want to check your QVL list for memory module compatibility.
    Modules below are probly on it already!
    But If I were you I would just go buy Gskill Ripjaws V 16gb 2x 8gb F4-3600 C16D-16GVK 16 16 16 36.
    It uses Samsung B die mem chips and are single rank . They are Super compatible!
    Not very expensive for what they are!
    If you want 4 sticks, buy 2 kits . I paid $169 per pair here in Oz and they readily available !
    I done this myself and the build dates are 2 months apart but they work sweet as on MSI X570
    Tomahawk wifi and 5600X .
    I am running them at 1900mhz (3800mhz) rock solid !
    Pumped up the voltage from 1.35V to 1.4V and kept all my timings. No fancy lights but I'm not after bling! Just good performance and compatibility at reasonable price!
    If your cpu memory controller could cut it at 2000mhz i am sure these sticks would get your there too!
    Not really sure how much better your 3dmark and CBR23 scores would be be ? At worst the same but probly a little better ! Be marginal but for both 3dmark and CBR23 !
    But it will be stable and faster overall for everything!

Last edited: 30 Oct 2021
  10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Arise, thread, long since dead etc..

Interesting stuff in here - I'm not fussed about overclocking but I am interested in undervolting my 5950x.

I did something potentially silly yesterday. I was sorting through my pile of tech junk and fished out a long forgotten Corsair H75 and thought "I wonder...". An hour or two later, after hunting down my Asetek AM4 mount, I was successfully cooling my 16 core beastie with a single 120 AIO with one Noctua A12x25.

Heat soak peaks in under five minutes but a 30 minute cinebench run saw the temps peg in the mid to high 70s.

This is stock performance, obviously, but I'm very impressed.

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Curve optimiser is your friend if you want to maintain good clocks and lower power.

There is actually an interesting mode in Ryzen master called Eco mode and it caps the chip to 65w, it is still very fast in the mode just drops the clocks on a lot of high thread usage.

Last edited: 16 Mar 2022
    David likes this.