1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits 64-bit: More than just the RAM

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 Oct 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

Last edited by a moderator: 16 Oct 2007
  2. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish New Member

Quite interesting article

Added a bit more detail to what i new about 64bit before :)

3. culley

culley New Member

Well done, very good article I've got to give it to Brett Thomas, he write a informative article which i can now use as reference to the ranting mobs who hate 64bit OS and only claim its better for more RAM.

"However, it is worth noting that this writer has installed Vista 64 on five different setups with completely different hardware, and never found a piece that didn't work which wasn't tremendously obscure to begin with. "

I have spoken to loads of people who have had no problem with Vista x64 and i hate people who criticize and berate it when in fact they have never tried it, and if they have they blame Microsoft when actually its the manufactures of their devices.

4. naokaji

naokaji whatever

good article, i hope it helps figthing peoples scaryness about 64 bit os'es...

xp-64 really put a dent into the reputation of 64 bit, with vista i dont see a reason to stay away from it, actually, i woudl go as far as saying even offering a 32 bit version of it was wrong from ms, afterall, a lot of people had to upgrade anyway ot be able to run it.

5. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

Excellent article Brett. The public transport explanation is golden ;)

I'm also running vista64 on a amd64x2 and have yet to encounter a problem/error/bsod on it. It was a natural choice ,since there where 64bit drivers available for the vidcard anyway. Although primature at the time of release, it did work and even could play games on it. The problem is, i did not know a game (or any game) did support 64bit instructions. And i still dont know wich games are supporting 64bit. Its not on the box or in the setups either. I wish they would put a sign up saying 64bit version or show something on the screen to notify, like nvidia meant to be played spinning logo for example.

6. TreeDude

TreeDude New Member

Very good read. One thing that has kept me from 64bit was the fact that I knew it used more RAM. But since it is only 10-15% max it's not so bad. I was under the impression is more like twice as much.

Drivers are not such an issue anymore. I can find 64bit drivers for everything I have. The problem is most games don't support it.

7. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Most games run fine on Vista 64, i have found, i think im one game down, and thats because of the copy protection.
    I think it is fair to say that brett has sat down for the last 2 months compiling all of that, and very well done too.

Sam

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

Thanks that explains some things, i was compiling a kernel on a 32bit install and it took x time but with the 64bit install it took good a chunk less on the same box.

9. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Great article this, I loved Vista 64 Ultimate, only problem I had was there seemed to be no Logitech Mouseware drivers, there were drivers but called something else and lacked all the features of mouseware so my MX510 felt like a brick and most of the buttons would not work, everything else worked perfect even my network card which is years old :) Back on XP now though with a working mouse lol

10. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

well, i had a crack at 64bit Vista after reading one of Bittech's staff post in the hardware/software section. and i must say, Windows does feel a lot faster.

HOWEVER, the lack of drivers, and the fact that if i wrongly install a 32bit driver (eg. hamachi) i will be executed with the need to disable that driver and live without the application in question. and last week, 1 day, i found out that ANY internet related application will not work for some unknown reason.(they will just crash upon startup) so rather than try to fix it, i decided to put off 64bit for at least until Vista SP1 has matured. and live with 3.325GB of my 4GB RAM.

for the average home use, i would stick to 32bit due to it's been tested and proven to run very well. only run 64bit if there are any real application requirements. in my opinion, 64bit still isn't mature enough for the big time, especially the drivers, and even some Vista sidebar gadgets (MSN Messenger gadget, for example)

11. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i actually tried out xp-64 and specifically farcry64 and was very impressed i dint have any other use for it so switched back onto xp32 my new box will be 64 bit as with the games for windows initiative in order to acheive the tag the game must work flawlessly in vista 64 giving us the confidence in the new technology.

12. zerolock

zerolock New Member

nice article, too bad i don't have a 64-bit processor, i could've tried a version of 64-bit linux..

13. metarinka

metarinka New Member

I've been running xp64 for over a year now, I like it. Also I should note that some virii won't work on 64bit platforms, I've found.
    my only compliant is that I've never found good creative soundblaster 64 bit drivers, and I whad to search for the ralink wireless nic card drivers. Besides that smooth sailing, and every game I have has worked

14. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

If I've bought and installed 32 bit Vista do I have to buy it again? I'm sure I remember someone saying that both versions are paid for when you buy either. My PC can definitely take it and I want to see my 4 gb!

15. zoom314

zoom314 New Member

Very Good article, I've found over several PCs that I have that I've had no problems with drivers and all the programs I wanted to run run just fine in XP x64.

16. koola

koola Banned

Probs as I bet their keys are of a different subset to differentiate them.

Good article btw!

17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Super Moderator Super Moderator

From what I understand, retail keys are inter-compatible with either 32 or 64-bit versions of Vista. My key can be used for either 32-bit or 64-bit versions anyway.

The only issue I've had with Vista 64 is one with Creative, unsurprisingly, as they've still not pulled their finger out and got some 64-bit E-Mu drivers together. But the same goes with 32-bit Vista as well :/

18. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

I can confirm this is indeed the case :thumb:, my copy of vista ultimate comes with a single key to use on either the 32bit or 64bit edition.

Great article Brett!!! Has both confirmed much that I knew before about 64bit, while educating me further on other aspects.
    Thanks!

:thumb: :clap: :clap:

19. cpu121

cpu121 New Member

However, OEM copies are limited to 32bit or 64bit.

20. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

I REALLY want to read this article but I`ve been drinking beer all afternoon I`ll pop back laters :D

Tags: Add Tags