1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics 640x200 LCD Display, SED1335 controller

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Twyst, 11 Jun 2004.

1. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

So, a couple of months back, I snagged myself a 6" x 12", 640x200 Graphic LCD (An Epson EG-7004-AR) , and a SED1335 controller board to go with it. One thing I was missing, though, was the DC-DC converter - which finally came today. It's one of the DC-32 converters from allelectronics.com, and it looks like that's all I'm going to need.. Well, a few capacitors, as well, but that's pretty simple to get.

Now, the one problem that I have is the fact that there's no software to run this beast. The largest LCD panel I've seen supported is something like 320x200, if I recall correctly. In theory, all the software should be simple enough to make work - the controller board's already supported, from what I see.

So.. Any suggestions? I'd really love to get this panel fully functional..

2. infernis

infernis What's a Dremel?

I assume that you're not able to do it yourself. Perhaps you could request support for it? Maybe offer some money to one of the programmers of existing software (like PowerLCD or LCD Studio), or something.

3. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

LCDInfo might be able to do it. Program works with SED1335 controllers, although Henri (the programmer) only tested it with a 320x240 display. If it doesn't work, then get in contact with him and play guinea pig.

4. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

Also, you could try LCDStudio forums. LCDStudio also supports the SED1335.

What your gonna need is a plugin from either software. The software already is configured to initialize SED1335 LCDs, you just need 640x200 pixel space to go with it.

5. coorz

coorz Miffed

Most LCD apps support the SED133x series. Nearly all of them can be set to custom display sizes. I know for sure that LCDInfo and LCDStudio can do that.
    Did you buy the SED 133x controller board seperately from the LCD?

6. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

Coorz: sure did - the guy sells them on EBay, and they're VERY professionally made. Before I start wiring all this stuff up, though, I'm going to make sure I have all the parts I need. I did work out the wiring, though, but I might post links to the spec sheets and what *I* think the wiring is - wouldn't want to make any mistakes!

On the component side, it looks like all I really need to pick up is the caps for the DC converter - 3x 10 uF 50V caps, and one 220 uF 10V cap. And perhaps a variable resistor, for contrast.

Wish me luck!

7. coorz

coorz Miffed

Care to share with me the source for those SED boards? Because Henri (LCDInfo), perhaps i'll get Zotty from LiquidMP3 into this too, and i are also firing up some 640x200 LCD's, but we haven't got the controller boards (yet). Once Henri is on it, you can be sure it works! BTW you're always welcome to the LCDInfo forum if you need any help on yours.
    PM or mail me if you want.

8. Jedi

Jedi What's a Dremel?

nice lcd, that's gonna look sweet.

I jus got me a seiko g321ev which is half the width at 320*240 and uses teh 1335 iirc. Still need to wire it up tho :p

9. nosmo

nosmo What's a Dremel?

I read that lcdhype is good lcd program and has very good support from the author in the forums.

10. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

Coorz: Sadly, I don't have his info anymore.. But he's often selling the graphic controllers on Ebay, usually only one at a time.. I *think* his ebay nick is Ashokm or something like that. ^_^

I'll keep an eye out on Ebay, and if I see one, I'll post it here. =)

11. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

Okay, here's the pinout listing of the LCD panel:
    Code:
    1 | VDD  | +5V
    2 | VSS  | GND
    3 | VLCD | VDD - VLCD = 22V Max (negative voltage for contrast)
    4 | LP   | Latch Pulse
    5 | FR   | Frame Pulse
    6 | YDIS | Display control 
    7 | YSCL | Row Scan Shift Clock 
    8 | DIN  | Syncronising Pulse (Row Scan Startup Pulse)
    9 | XSCL | Data Shift Clock
    10| XECL | Enable Transition Clock
    11 - 14 | D0 ~ D3 | Data Inputs

Here's the pinout from the SED board for going to the LCD:
    Code:
    1 | XD3 
    2 | XD2 
    3 | XD1 
    4 | XD0 
    5 | XECL 
    6 | XSCL
    7 | LP 
    8 | WF
    9 | YDIS 
    10| YD 
    11| YSCL 
    12| Vcc 
    13| Gnd 
    14| Vee 
    15|N.C.
    16|N.C. 

And from the SED board to computer:
    Code:
    1 | VeeIn 
    2 | Vcc 
    3 | Gnd 
    4 | RST 
    5 | RD 
    6 | WR 
    7 | CS
    8 | A0 
    9 | D0 
    10| D1 
    11| D2 
    12| D3 
    13| D4
    14| D5
    15| D6
    16| D7

There's also a wire link to put in that transfers VeeIn from the computer side, to Vee on the LCD side - simple enough. The N.C. pins are for optional backlighting.

Now.. the way that I figure the connection from the SED board to the LCD is like so:

Code:
    LCD | SED
    1   | 12
    2   | 13
    3   | 14
    4   | 7
    5   | 8
    6   | 9
    7   | 11
    8   | 10
    9   | 6
    10  | 5
    11  | 4
    12  | 3
    13  | 2
    14  | 1

Does that make sense?

12. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

hmmmm, me to needs a controller-board.... well schematics at least, cos I'v got the SED, memory, LCD and many other parts.. wanting to fire up my 600x200.. :naughty:

13. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

Well, so far, no luck. I've wired it all up using plugboard (for two reasons.. 1. Easy to adjust stuff. 2. Easy to pull the power off in case of explodies.)

Possibly, the problem is that I'm using non-polarity 10 mF 50V caps backed up with a diode. The local electronics place didn't have any normal ones. Stupid.

Or maybe I just don't know how to use the DC-DC converter.

See, nothing at all happens when I apply power. It just sits there, even when I fire up LCDInfo or something for testing with.

grr.

edit:

Well, turns out I had those diodes backwards. Switched them around.. and now when I plug in the screen, it goes mostly black with all kinds of gibberish.

I'm glad it was just the diodes - since all that did was stop the system from getting power.

Now I don't know if this is normal behavior or not. :/

Last edited: 12 Jun 2004
  14. Hazer

Normal behavior. Have you adjusted the contrast while this stuff was up? If the contrast is too high, you'll get mostly black stuff with a few pixels fluttering around.

The SED has only one draw-back. It has a pretty rigorous initialization. If you dont have this setup just right, things get all kinds of messed up. If your not even initializing the SED yet, then gibberish is all you will get (lines going up and down,etc etc). This is a good sign, since it means you didnt wire things up wrong and blown the LCD. Now all you need is a way to initialize it and start displaying some stuff.

15. tapius

tapius What's a Dremel?

would you please post a picture of your display in action once you get it functional? i would really like to see it :naughty:

16. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

Hazer: phew! And here I was worried..

Yea, that's exactly what's happening - mostly black, and a few lines...

I haven't touched the contrast yet - I have to re-wire the variable resistor back in - but I think I might have to get a more robust one, since this is just a simple little trim pot (ripped off of my old 4x20 LCD - which I need to rewire anyways...)

As for initialization - LCDStudio, LCDInfo, and LCDHype all support the SED series of controllers.. So I need to make a test screen for one of those, and fire it up.

17. Hazer

Assuming your using the -19VDC out on the DC-32 converter:

The load calls for 4.87k Ohm load. A 5k Ohm trimpot should be used.

18. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

Ah, that helps. I'll definately have to look at what I've got - or get the right thing.

19. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

Okay. I've wired in a 10k trim pot, since that's all I have (too much?) and I can now adjust the contrast.

Still, I get nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

Well, nothing meaningful. The screen is just black.

I'm using this wiring scheme for the parallel port:

CS -> pin 1
    A0 -> pin 17
    WR -> pin 16
    RD -> pin 14
    D0 - D7 -> pins 2 - 9

I *should* be able to at least use half of this thing, at 320x200, even if the software doesn't handle 640x200. But no.. I get nothing from LCD(Studio|Info|Hype). I'm beginning to think there's a messup in the wiring between the LCD and the SED. ...

I've dug up the datasheet for the SED chip, and WF = Frame Pulse, YD = Scan Start Pulse, like I thought. So I'm really confused at this point. :wallbash:

20. Hazer

The SED is supposed to work with almost any size LCD in this range. This requires a specific setup for the LCD you are driving. Just loading software for ANY SED1330 LCD may or may not work.

I would suggest though, trying it with different softwares. It couldnt hurt. Also, make sure you can drive your parallel port. There have been issues with Port95.dll and other such things.