1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 660 ti review

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thaifood, 1 Aug 2012.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

2. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

So the 660Ti is finally released and in the review it's not compared against the 560Ti which is, arguably, the target market and those with 560's (yes, myself included) are the ones who will really want to see what the 660 is capable of.

I'm sorry but that's some pretty slipshod reviewing Bit, you've not included the number one consumer who wants to see how this performs.

As far as the card goes, well it seems largely pointless to me. Nvidia have left a massive gaping hole in the mid range by pricing this so high. Yes it performs extremely well but they've put themselves out of the mid range market now and I can see them losing a lot of sales to 7850's, 7950's and 7870's. The low-mid range people will go AMD and the mid-high range will just go for a 670 leaving the 660 sitting there doing nothing.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

As I just mentioned in the review thread, I wonder if the partners will price the 580 below £200 and keep shifting stock?

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Your colon is the real winner :)

The long winded way of doing it is to open the 670 review in a separate tab, 3 out of four of the benchmark sets are the same.

5. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

YAAAAY ME!

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Not sure how US tax would work for me... but I could buy a 660 ti for around £190 delivered to works US office in the IT guys name. They would then dispatch here for free and everyone except where I work and the US is better off. Ten thumbs up... the only issue being if it goes wrong.

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I really, really do wish that the reviewer or person in charge of the charts would think more about the people actually looking to upgrade and how many more fps it would give them. I.e. where's the 5xx range in the charts?

8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Agreed.

Pretty poor set of cards for comparison in the charts.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

This card only struggles price wise in uk

670s are 80-90 dollars more in USA for example which is the cost of a decent ssd.

It's a good card performs only slightly slower than a 670 in bf3 for a lot less cash if your outside of uk ( we getting ripped off )

£250 is now the mid range as far as nvidia cares to support, nvidia like intel have relised competing to the bottom isn't the best idea for profit.

650 660 might make it into the £100-200 slot but I dout it. ( 610,20,30 are not Kepler either despite the name) AMD has effectively at least in the uk got the sub £200 market to themselves problem is its still not a huge market, consumer gpu sales are falling not increasing and if the results of AMD and nvidia are compared one made a huge profit the other is struggling badly. ( down 20% vs same quater last year at just nvidia)

A lot of pricing will be due to yield issues as well with the 28n processing, which should improve the. We get a cheaper card

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Yield issues or is the 28nm capacity being used for something else?

11. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I really really wish people would understand how long it takes to test GPUs and the politics involved. If I test a 580, i have to test a 6970 too, a 570? A 6950 too. Adding last-gen cards to the benchmarks is something we do, but only once a year because it takes so much extra time (2-4 hours per card depending on how fast/slow it is). I'm updating the whole benchmark suite and system next month, so we'll add-in some 5 and 6 series, and even some 4-series cards then.

David likes this.
  12. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

But next month is too late as other companies will beat you to it by a month....The 660 TI has been released, the 560ti and 570 should be in those benchmarks.

An extra few hours is nothing to ensure you provide detailed and useful results surely ?

13. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Got to agree.

Reviewing several variations/overclocks of the same card isn't as useful as stock card examples of previous generations.

14. Thaifood

Thaifood Minimodder

So who's going to buy one then?

15. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Alas, I am but one man and do not have the time to re-test every card from the last two years every time a new GPU launches. Sorry to say, but that's the size of it. It's a truck-load more work on an already very busy schedule.

16. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Don't mean to sound like a tool but..get more men ? Be a shame to see a good company go down the sh1tter.

17. David

Meh, going for a 670.

Just bought one of dizzi's 670 waterblocks, so no turning back now! :D

The 660Ti pricing is just too high.

18. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

To be fair, its quite sneaky of nvidia. Everyone will just say 'its only £40 more for the 670'. That £40 adds up to quite a lot when 1000s of people do it :D

19. David

I could understand that, if it was a paper launch. i.e. not much stock, due to 28nm shortage. They'd want to capitalise on their higher end models.

The relatively poor overclocking capability, paired with the 192 bit memory interface AND the price nailed it for me.

20. David

Intrigued!

Are you just talking about the games used to bench the cards, or are you looking to update the 2007 benchmarking suite too?