1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding 7 CD DRIVE CASE JUST BOUGHT IT, NEW TOY

Discussion in 'Modding' started by icutebluezone, 19 Feb 2008.

1. icutebluezone

icutebluezone The meaning of life is to MOD

Ok the full size of the case is.

220m wide
    460mm high
    330mm deep

The top part of the case is its own case size is.

220mm wide
    95mm high
    330mm deep

The bottom part of the case is the 2nd part of the case its.

220mm wide
    365mm high
    330mm deep

The top case part little vents on both sides and a place for a power supply in the back what i was thinking it cut out the pus hole in the back and cover the hole with a new panel and install a 80mm fan in the front of the case and a 80mm fan in the rear were the new panel is like the drawing.
    [​IMG]

The bottom part of the case i was thinking of this.
    [​IMG]

Only thing is getting a mobo thats going to fit in the top as only 220 wide. Mite have another idea on how to do it going to have tea and a think. :)

Update
    ok found this mobo it would fit in the top of case but with hardly any room around it.
    http://www.asus.co.nz/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=534&l4=0&model=1705&modelmenu=2

I will have to use a SFF mobo so that will fit in the top and the plugs will be in the back of pc for the usb and screen plugs and that. Because if i want to ever install or update any thing on the windows or maybe even linux install i will want to be able to hook up a screen and mouse and keyboard

Last edited: 27 Feb 2008
  2. icutebluezone

Been looking on net and found this little baby. If i had 2 of them in the hdd tower i wouldnt need a mobo/pc in there right? and theres a cable for it and if i installed 2 of the units into my pc thay could go up to a PCI sata controller card. ? sound right?

2x of this in the hdd tower.
    http://www.pcssl.co.nz/productdetails.aspx?cmd=585-46

2x of this in my pc tower
    http://www.pcssl.co.nz/productdetails.aspx?cmd=592-46

2x of this cable.
    http://www.pcssl.co.nz/productdetails.aspx?cmd=586-46

2x sata pci card like this.
    http://www.pcssl.co.nz/productdetails.aspx?cmd=334-46

would that work? any ideas?

3. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I see what you're doing - sounds like a GREAT idea!

No experience with it myself, but it may end up that you have to have one RAID drive per SATA controller - ???

4. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Reminds me of R2D2!

5. identikit

identikit Minimodder

That is an insane solution btw. It's an infiniband high speed link. The setup you're posting will go like this:

SATA Drives x4 > Infiniband >
    > SATA Raid card.
    SATA Drives x4 > Infiniband >

In other words; slow, mega fast (and expensive), slow.

Try to find a mobo small enough to fit. 220mm is huge in the world of mini and pico ITX.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2008
  6. icutebluezone

tower

Thanks for help wasnt to sure about that type of setup. did find a itx mobo thats 9.6" by 9.6" inchs but no sata on it. Man sum of the SFF mobos cost loads and the itx more.

7. skybarge

skybarge just chilling at work

hey man, looking absolutely awesome :)

another lurker here from NZ, first post as I've only just signed up, woohoo :)

I really like the idea you've got, but I know ITX boards are hard to find here :S

Do a search on Pricespy.co.nz for ITX and look up the Intel D201GLY2
    It's only a 1.2ghz Celeron based board, but it'd be perfect for a file server, it's a 64bit processor, so can run Win2k3 64bit, has 2x SATA Channels, fast post once you disable the legacy USB etc
    You could get that board for $105NZ(90US), pickup a PCI Riser card off ebay for $20, a 6 port SATA card $50US and a 1GB ethernet single or dual port card $20-$40NZ, and then you'd have a very nice file server :)

I've used the D201GLY, older model with no SATA and I currently have it booting into a stripped version of windows at around 15 seconds, running a few laptop drives 20GB, 80GB and a CF Flash 2GB adapter and it runs flawlessly

Although I'm getting the D201GLY2 next month and selling my old one off due to the no SATA issue and the fact I want to run some SATA-CF adapters for my CarPC

I reckon you could also get a little 7" screen and mini keyboard mounted in there somewhere :) instead of using the bulky PSU, get a 150w ITX style PSU and external AC adapter, it'll power the 8 drives + ITX board and screen and mount the AC adapter in the case too, but yeah definitely looking forward to what you do with this :rock:

8. icutebluezone

Yeh another NZ Modder. SOOOO we do have modders in NZ i was thinking i was the only 1. lol.

Yeh theres a ITX mobo on trademe at moment. But no SATA.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Motherboards/auction-142674683.htm

yeh a little car lcd or sumthing would be cool on the front at the top and get one of the micro mouse's and one of the fold up mini keyboards and have a holder on the back or sumthing to hold it.

9. skybarge

yeah that's a nice fast board, pity about no SATA though :( means you'd probably have to get a dual PCI or triple PCI riser and use 2x SATA PCI cards, would still be a nice low power setup though

are you planning on hiding it somewhere and using it for movie/video storage to other devices?
    I've got a similar setup in mine, with 16 cat6 ports round the house - all connected up into my linen cupboard with a patch panel, VFX(digital phone) router, ADSL model and 2x 8 port 1gb switches, works very well indeed :)

10. icutebluezone

yeh thats a idea..

Storage movies music and that just a hdd stroage unit really.

Sounds mint. :) Running 5 hdds in my pc at moment all being used so thats why this other unit would be good and would use it as a backup to have a couple hdds as backup drives

11. skybarge

Yeah definitely a good idea, i'd fully recommend a gigabit ethernet card to make copying between the two faster too :)

12. icutebluezone

Yeh got onboard network plug on mobo thats free as i have wireless boardband. you got any links to photos of your pc? mods?

13. skybarge

yeah, wireless plus standard ethernet should be all good then :)

My current PC is this:
    [​IMG]

Thermaltake Lanbox Lite with dual side windows
    Asus M2NPV-MX
    AMD AM2 5600+ @ 3.15ghz(equivilant to a 6400+)
    Blue-Orb II cooling the CPU, usually sits at around 24-25 idle, 35-40 in games
    4GB DDR 667 ram running at 777mhz due to overclocking the FSB for the above speed :)
    Albatron 8800GT @ 742(600 stock) core, 2000 memory(1800 stock), 2000 shader(1800 stock)
    Zalman VF1 with seperate Thermaltake ram sinks
    2x 250GB Western Digital SATAII running in RAID 0
    Logitech MX3000 laser mouse and keyboard
    32" Acer screen for games 1366x768 8ms and 20" AOC 1650x1200 2ms for intense games + web
    Wall mounted with Panasonic high def HDMI upscaling DVD player :) 5.1 surround

Running Half Life:Lost Coast in 5.1 digital on the 32" Screen :)
    [​IMG]

CarPC to be assembled soon into a double-DIN headunit slot, standard keyboard for reference next to it:
    [​IMG]

Here's the mini keyboard, 2.5" USB, ITX motherboard, power supply 12v dc to the left, test ATX power supply to the right, to give you an idea of how small it is :)
    You can see the stick of 1GB 667mhz ram in the bottom of the shot installed, this board is so tiny :) the keyboard is small too, 3.50US + $5 shipping on ebay, the board is currently mounted on perspex, i'm considering making the case out of perspex to show others how it's done, because i"m taking it to a few sound offs(SQL comps) because I'm thinking of getting into Sound quality in cars, instead of the SPL(bass)
    [​IMG]

14. icutebluezone

Looks good man 32" screen mmm. Im running 2 22 widescreens on my pc. Link to my custom pc.
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=145706

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spent about 1hour last night sleeving the fan cables and thermal probe cables also made a cable up to a rocker switch for the laser led lights.
    Hidden more of the cables also.

This links to a project log on another custom case i built.
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=137743

Hope your not running that pc out of the box like that on top of every thing thats a bomb waiting to happen.

That small keyboards kool.

lol just looked at your screen again and its this forum lol crackup.

15. skybarge

oh mint :) that's a damn sweet setup :thumb:

most of my cables were sleeved from factory, but i'm working on getting some of the ones that aren't sleeved done, plus maybe getting some proper rounded cables instead of using standard IDEs cable tied

Damn that iCute job is very nice, well done :rock: I might have to butcher mine this year sometime, but i've got 2 cars to finish off first :(
    Like the old ford though that's mint :) i've done a similar thing with a 1989 Skyline here, just ripped it to pieces, repainted it all, put new seals in, redid the engine and reupholstered the interior in red leather, still waiting for a good day to put it back together and colour sand it, but once it's done I can sell it and start some real modding

How much was the laser cutting? did you just take it plus some CAD models to a workshop with a laser cutter?
    I might do a similar job and get a case cut for my ITX board so it fits straight into a double DIN, although depending on my new car, it might be 2.5DIN, so i could add in slimline cd-rom and volume controls

16. icutebluezone

yeh my PSU was cable sleeved factory all other cables i did got round ide cables.

Yeh icute case took a bit of time to do was my 1st ever pc case mod i have done 4 xboxs mods befor all had mod chip and bigger hdd. one i cut windows in the top of it and painted with the flip flop paint. One of the others i made into a slim xbox no dvd drive just a big hdd in it. other one was a clear case and did cable sleeving and made insides nice.

Laser cutting cost a bit got 2 lots done theres a setup cost and then product cost and then the cutting. I used Turbocad pro 14 designed it all up on it to scale with sizes and saved it and emailed the file to them and thay cut it all and posted it all to me. :) lazerstream is place i got it done.

I tryed Autocad 2008 but its so hard to learn and all over the show but i didnt really try much on it i already have mu turbocad pro 14 so used it its easy to use and layouts nice.

that mobo is small man.

17. skybarge

Man, i'm still way behind in the PC modding stakes, i've had 13 cars though, so i can hopefully use the cutting/welding and painting skills
    I think I'll definitely get some laser etching done for my PC case
    I've decided to use the perpsex motherboard base still, but use an old black case I've got an make a custom aluminium designed carPC with perspex side windows and maybe replace both teh motherboard coolers, with a 40mm northbridge blue LED cooler and a slim profile CPU cooler from an old P3 then throw another blue LED fan on top of that

Yeah it's tiny ITX form factor, 17cmx17cm :) so tiny as, they are only going for just over $100NZD now too :)
    http://www.expressnet.co.nz/products/product_form.aspx
    That's the cheapest I found, under components, motherboards, Intel

18. icutebluezone

man 13 cars. lol i have had 2 and 1 moterbike and a offroad mountain bike now. :)

Sounds like a cool idea pc in car. :) big hdd loaded with music and movies have a lcd screen in the car to. :)

didnt no about that site got sum good costs on it.

19. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Mini-itx.com has the EPIA EN 15000G C7 Mini-ITX which has 2 SATA onboard and supports Raid 0 & 1.

Towards the bottom of the page here:
    http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=2#p1662>EPIA 5000AG</a><br />CLE266 Chipset:<br /><a href=

Take a peek.
    John

20. icutebluezone

sweet theres sum with 4 satas. :p