1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC 720p, 1080p and the stutter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ModMonkey, 27 Feb 2008.

1. ModMonkey

ModMonkey Size 11 Carbon footprint

This has been driving me nuts since I'm fairly sure my PC should handle this without too many issues.

1st off the rig

AMD 64 X2 4200+
    ATI X850 256Mb PCI-E
    2Gb DDR RAM
    36.5Gb Sata drive (OS)
    4 x 500Gb Samsung Spinpoints (SATA)
    Auzen X-Mystique 7.1 Gold

Running
    Win XP 32 sp2 and Meedio frontend.

The Board does have space for 2 DDR2 sticks so I'll try that 1st off but i'm getting really bad stutter on 1080p and more importantly getting stutter on high action scenes in 720p

I can live without 1080p since theres barely any discernable difference on a 42" screen but 720p is too damn important.

Anyone got any ideas??

2. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

Compressed video (like h264 trailers) or from an HD-DVD or Blu-ray?
    My first guess is realistically the GPU as I don't think the X850 really offers much in the way of video decoding acceleration, the reason I say that is that my old x800 was totally unable to assist in decoding HD trailers from say the Apple site which resulted in stuttery playback.

3. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

By the sounds of things it doesn't accelerate high def stuff, leaving all that to your processor which wouldn't be able to cope.

Sell your x850 (I think there was someone on the for sale forums after a cheap PCIe card) and get a low end AMD or Nvidia card.

4. ModMonkey

Cheers guys, thats really helpfull.

Any suggestions as to the Card? Not got lots of cash to splash but want to get it right!

5. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

i have the 2600xt, cheap, full video acceleration and (relatively) quiet, just right for videos :D

6. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I think all of the 8 series cards have video acceleration too. That said, they will probably be worse than your current card for gaming!

7. mushky

mushky gimme snails

720p/1080p WHAT??
    hd-dvd? bluray? wmv? x264? h264?

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

UVD is only useful it you're using something like PowerDVD with Video Acceleration Enabled, otherwise it's still done on the CPU if you're using say, VLC and FFDshow.

9. ModMonkey

Mainly 720 MKV files that are around 7Gb in size. Not sure on the rest of the details.

Gaming is not an issue on thid machine. its purely media

10. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 New Member

Have you tried Videolan? As i have tried hd files before which have stuttered on certain programmes but it was due to bad codes etc rather than hardware. I see no reason why your spec cant play hd. Its similar to my old machine and it played hd matierial without a glitch.

11. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Download CCCP and give that a go.

12. ModMonkey

I have CCCP installed already (did that before I learned the evil ways of codec packs). I guess it may be due to using Meedio's internal player. I'll try calling VLC or Zoomplayer and checking if that'll work.

Bindi, Are you aware of any way of utilising UVD (or nvidia equivalent) for .264 etc? Seems like a useful technology for me!

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Depends - UVD offloads the whole bitstream, regardless of what you play, but you need a player like PowerDVD which features hardware acceleration to use it.

14. ModMonkey

This makes my head hurt.

Think the CoreAVC decoder might help?

15. mushky

mushky gimme snails

That hardware should be able to use FFDshow fine, especially for 720p. I was thinking about recommending CoreAVC but there is a problem somewhere.

16. kitt

kitt Michael Knight

I find Media Player Classic good for .mkv's files, vlc seems to stutter sometimes for me (and iv got virtually the same hardware as you) but MPC works absolutely fine.

hope that helps

17. ModMonkey

I think its probably going to be the codecs OR the internal player, or i guess the internal player using the wrong codec....

I'm going to try the CoreAVC option first since i have it already on another machine. If that works I'll look into editing the internal player graphs to use the CoreAVC for mkv files.

If all that fails i'm going to buy a vhs player and a 14" screen and marvel at the quality.

18. Hamish

Hamish New Member

i have a 4400+ and have zero trouble decoding 1080p x264's
    hits about 40% cpu or something with coreavc and about 10-15% higher using ffdshow

you really shouldnt have any trouble

and yes if you want to use hardware decoding stuff your codec/player needs to support it, ffdshow does not nor does coreavc

19. ModMonkey

Ok I put my hands up... I'm a Donkey.

I've managed to confuse myself a little with this and mixed up my Rigs. The media PC atually has an Intel 775 3.0Ghz processor.

As far as I'm aware that should still handle 720 though so still not entirely sure whats going on.

I tried the CoreAVC option last night and whilst its improved MKV playback its still not right. Was watching the Top Gear Polar challenge for instance and had framerate slowdown on some of the more frantic scenes. Not tried the other players yet though!

Thanks for all the input so far. And sorry for the blonde moment.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It also depends what else your PC and hard drive say are doing in the background - how clean your install is, etc

Tags: