1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC 720p, 1080p and the stutter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ModMonkey, 27 Feb 2008.

1. mushky

mushky gimme snails

That CPU shouldn't ever go over about 30% using FFDshow on 720p x264 files. It shouldn't break a sweat with 1080p either. What sort of CPU utilisation are you getting? I was using a 2ghz 32-bit athlon XP which was playing 720p files without a hitch!

Like Bindi mentioned, a clean install might be on the cards. Have you installed lots of other unnecessary codecs? I just put the CCCP on (and AC3 filter cos I prefer it to the FFDshow audio which also works) and away we go.

2. ModMonkey

ModMonkey Size 11 Carbon footprint

I'll try a clean install and add the DDR2 memory.

CCCP are the only codecs i've installed, and its never connected to the internet or network so its not even got anti virus on there.

XP sp2
    Meedio
    .Net 3.5
    CCCP

Thats about it!

3. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Are you getting 100% CPU utilisation while playing the files?

Got the BIOS set up right?

4. crapster

crapster What's a Dremel?

I googled '1080p stuttering' and this thread was the first result.. :D

Anyway, I have a similar rig as ModMonkey's. A 3.0GHz Intel HT (Prescott 630), 2 gigs of DDR2 (800) and an X1950 pro. While the playback on 720p is perfectly fine (saw Top Gear Polar Expedition last week, it owned!), the stuttering on 1080p is unbelievable. I was just running an HD rip of Tokyo Drift (1080) and just noticed that the CPU usage goes through the roof! 100% constant that is!

Using Media Player Classic btw. Help me out pliss.. :S

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I just don't think a P4 is fast enough, unless you invest in something like PowerDVD and make use of that X1950 horsepower.

6. crapster

Yeah. I thought it'd be a codec prob or something. But I guess its the aging processor really. Shall upgrade to an E8400 soon. That should solve the prob right? Or how about overclocking the 3.0?

7. Jammy_eel

Jammy_eel What's a Dremel?

i used to have the same problem but im now using KMPlayer to run my videos and havent had any stutter at all and my desktop isnt as good as yours, so its not the specs its the codecs IMO.

Here is the link: hxxp://www.free-codecs.com/download/KMPlayer.htm
    replace "xx" with "tt".

Last edited: 2 Mar 2008
  8. crapster

Thanks. While the CPU usage has dropped (to about 90% and thereabouts) with the KMPlayer, there's still a lot of stuttering. Thing is, Audio moves at normal pace, but since the video stutters, there aint no sync (audio moves wayy ahead).. Not much of an improvement over the Klite and MPC.

Seriously considering a CPU upgrade now, even though short on funds..

9. dukester_uk

dukester_uk What's a Dremel?

Hiya!

I've got a dual core E4500 with 2gigs of memory running Vista. 720p x264 files run fine but 1080p files stutter like an absolute nightmare! I'm using MPC with CoreAVC. Unfortunately KMP didn't work for me. Does anybody have any further ideas on how to get 1080p files to work?

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Overclocking? What's your typical CPU usage, what kind of files do you play back (so we know the bit-rate) and what motherboard/other features do you have.

11. ModMonkey

ModMonkey Size 11 Carbon footprint

Just an Update to my story...

Clean build with CCCP installed along with CoreAVC. (Added the ddr2 as well)

720p runs beutifully now.

Interestingly 1008p runs really well when stored on the OS drive but stutters on the storage drives.

They are on the same controller so I can only assume that the spin and seek speeds are more suited to this media (10000 compared to 7200). CPU usage is roughly the same at about 85%. As previously stated though I only have a 42" screen so 1080 is not needed.

Thanks for all the input. Really helped!

Tags: