1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 770 GTX SLI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bugste81, 13 Dec 2013.

1. Bugste81

Bugste81 Stephen

Just upgraded to a GTX 770 SLI set up. One card is a bog standard issue card with default clocks while the other is an MSI Twin Frozr card which has better clock speeds and cooling. Does having different clocks have any side effects to smoothness and FPS in games? I've got MSI Afterburner installed and generally have just turned the fans to 100% and left it at that. Am I able to configure each card separately and if I overclocked them what is the general ballpark settings for memory speed and core clock etc.?

Cheers

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

They have to operate at the same speeds AFAIK. The MSI card will downclock to match the standard card. Setting fan speed to 100% doesn't automatically clock them both to maximum.

I'd be very surprised if the standard card doesn't match the MSI card using Afterburner to overclock it. Memory should be able to get up to 7000MHz. Just whack up the power limit to 106% and start having a play with the core clock!

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

As far I know afterburner will apply the same settings to both cards

4. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

In MSI afterburner; the options are there to unlink the cards, so you can overclock each individually. As for the Actual Overclocking; giving each a voltage bump and upped power targets is usually a good start.

The only thing to watch out for is that Afterburner doesn't try to apply the same settings to both cards, as i would expect that the MSI card would overclock better.

The two cards will also natively run at different clocks, owing to GPU Boost. Contrary to popular belief; differing clock speeds don't cause Microstutter, not unless you're already maxing out both cards to the limit anyhow, at which point; the additional stutter caused by one card rendering slightly faster than the other is going to be negligible.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

They can run independent clocks without effecting the smoothness, I ran a stock GTX680 and a MSI Lightening together and didn't notice any issues, strangely my stock 680 ran better than the Lightening with power bars up.

Ultimately though I flashed them both to the same settings as I preferred to see them operating the same, can't say I noticed any benefit from doing so.

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I would install the best clocking card as your primary for the benefit in non-sli games.

Tags: