1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8 billion dollar fraud...

Discussion in 'Serious' started by ou7blaze, 17 Feb 2009.

1. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Absolutely, but that's easier said than done. One day those modest expectations might suddenly change to "I'm tired of driving this used car. I'm rich, I can afford one shiny new toy. Just this once." Greed kicks in and the rest is history.

I read once that if you're content before you win the lottery, you're more likely to be happy after you win. If you're unhappy before you win, you will have all the same problems you had before - you'll just have a bunch of money as well. Of course, if you're content then why are you playing the lottery?

With my limited knowledge of human nature, I tend to think a lot of people would end up broke and unhappy, despite their best intentions going into the game. People show who they truly are when they can do whatever they want.

Edit:
    (Checks post count) Sounds good to me! Actually, I'm pretty happy with my current computer. Can I have an equivalent cash value instead? :p

-monkey

2. Major

Major Guest

SM, I don't care what research has been done regarding money handling, seriously I don't. What I do know is myself, and I know what I would do with the money, doing anything else with it is stupid.

People are all different, I remember reading about an idiot who won £8m and gave £7m away to charities and family, now that person needs to be shot. And you have that big chav who won £20m or whatever it was and wasted it all on drugs etc.

People are different, and many are idiots, but if I had £1m, that would keep me happy for the rest of my life, period.

And TBFH, we are all geeks on here, what do we like? Games, PCs, Cars, Tech, not exactly expensive stuff when you got a £1m giving you interest now is it. After all, the majority of people on here work all year for £20.000 at the end of it.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Haven't you been paying attention?!?

[​IMG]

4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Interesting. Just before that you said that you honestly didn't care about any of the research that has gone into money handling. In my opinion, if I suddenly had a small fortune I would be keenly interested in money management. As you said, we're all geeks, and I certainly wouldn't want to blow all my cash on shiny cars and fancy computer upgrades assuming the interest from my $1 million would cover it.

I couldn't agree more, and that was part of my point. A lot of people think $1 million is a suitable amount to live a comfortable life. For some, like you, that is true - for a given value of comfortable. In my opinion, for most others it is not true.

-monkey

5. Major

Major Guest

$1m is different to £1m, by about $500,000. :)

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

indeed... BUT I LIKE IT!!!!:rock:

7. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

*double checks the 'about' page* :worried:

8. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Actually 1,000,000USD would be more like 700,000GBP

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

dont ask, but it is a nice direction for the thread to move, considering its less depressing!

10. Major

Major Guest

Eh?

1 British pound = 1.4232 U.S. dollars

Today

11. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Yes, so that's just over 2/3 of a pound to the dollar. Hence the £700k figure.

12. iggy

iggy Minimodder

HNGGHHHHH TARD. if 1 pound = 1.4232 dollars then 1 million dollars does not equal 500'000 pounds does it. LETS DO SOME MATHS

13. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

I suggest opening MSCalc and doing the following:

1000000 / 1.4

Hell, even do 1000000 * 1.4, you still wont get 500000 can you still wont be as wrong as you are now.

14. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Oh for the days when the exchange rate was $2 to £1

15. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

OMG Someone posted an incorrect mathematical calculation on bit :eeek:
    HNGGHHHHH FLAMEWARRR!!!! LETS DO SOME FRICKEN MATHS!!!111

:eyebrow:

16. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Yes, I'm aware that $1 million does not equal £1 million. I was basing my argument on a very common sentiment over here in my neck of the woods: A lot of people here think that $1 million is some vast fortune, but they don't realize that unless they live a fairly simple lifestyle away from any metropolitan area, it's not likely to go very far.

And yes, I had a good chuckle at Nexxo's 'About' page, and the flaming that erupted over bungled maths. Only on Bit. Only on Bit.

:)

-monkey

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

there are grammar nazis and there math nazies... we have both!

18. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

19. Rum&Coke

Rum&Coke What's a Dremel?

20. Major

Major Guest

Tis £1million, not $1million

Eh? You are all douchebags, so jump on ya pink bandwagon. :)

I started the £1m statement, so $1m does not exist, it was always £1m. Get your brains into gear.

1,000,000.00 GBP
    =
    1,439,627.59 USD

So nearly a $500,000 difference, Need I make myself any clearer?

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Feb 2009