1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music 80s Throwback music

Discussion in 'General' started by glaeken, 1 Dec 2011.

1. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I really like songs like Digital Versicolor by Glass Candy, Sail by Awolnation, and the soundtrack to Drive. Maybe I'm not putting these into the right genre, but to me they just have a certain 80s feel to them.

I've already created a Pandora station centered about these songs, but I was wondering if anyone else had any good recommendations.

Bonus link of awesome Drive tribute video: http://vimeo.com/32905466

Last edited: 1 Dec 2011
  2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Look into the 'Italo Disco' genre for the real deal. There are loads of groups with that sound around. Digikid 84, Chromeo, College, Minitel Rose, Cut/Copy, Little Boots, Anorakk, Golden Filter, Fenech Soler, Futurecop, DigitalFoxglove, Tesla Boy... Well I could go on and on and on.
    For a good start you might grab some of the Kitsune Maison or Valerie Records compilations.

Last edited: 1 Dec 2011
  3. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Great :) Thanks for all the leads!

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Italo Disco... :) If you want proper 80s italo disco... I can accommodate. I did a mammoth 3 hour mix recently.

click

I wouldn't call what he's after Italo Disco though. 80s Italo Disco is mainly like the stuff in my mix.. and Hi-NRG/Gay Disco stuff.

5. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

I can appreciate something older, and am defiantly feeling the width. :thumb:

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

No the new stuff isn't Italo but is certainly where the roots are in a lot of Electro House. When I DJ I tend to mix both together in my sets and a lot of people can't tell what is old or new unless they really know music.

How different are they really?