1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 84 per cent of tablet owners play games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 11 Apr 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

What else are they good for though?

3. line2008

line2008 What is this "dremel" you speak of?

pr0n on the move?

4. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

The statistic about people not using tablets on the move is interesting, but more because of how it flies in the face of the touted advantages of tablets and the advertising thrown at us by the manufacturers than as any kind of surprise.
    Come to think of it though - Did Apple ever really market the iPad on its portability, or was that more of a media obsession? I can't remember.

From what I've seen and read the majority of consumers buying tablets are doing so because it's the 'in' thing right now and because there's a lot of buzz and excitement around the latest fad in the industry, not because it fulfils a particular need.
    I'm sure there are people who find that tablets like the iPad and the Xoom are ideal in filling a gap in their own usage pattern and lifestyle, and they seem to have introduced a lot of people to the idea of touchscreen gaming; but I think the people who find tablets genuinely useful and worth their price are in the minority for reasons of practicality.

Maybe I'm wrong and totally out of touch - I never found a place in my own computing lifestyle for netbooks either, so I already know I'm not the target audience for these devices.

5. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Exactly, tablets are currently consumption devices and what with the lack of portability of the 10" tablets like the ipad ect, people are using them at home where watchig videos isnt really an appealing option when you have the TV there, music you have your smartphone, so the only use left is gaming

This will only change once more media creation apps are created, for example the photoshop apps recenlty announced by Adobe, or when someone FINALLY creates a good video editing app for tablets that you can import video from a camera for editing (i would love a 7" tablet that I could carry round with me for this)

6. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

What games can you play on those things? I thought they were more underpowered than a laptop even?

7. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

It just goes to show a few things:

It's a pretty expensive and console replacement, video editing on the move, ouch man, thats gonna be slow and kill your battery - sounds like a plausible use though.

Given that people hardly use them on the go might be a testament to the cost/quality of roaming internet and the probability of being mugged and robbed by using your latest fashion accessory in public being quite high.

The pluses of course are that they are light, easy to use and probably more comfortable to use than a laptop/netbook when you are sat on a sofa/bench with no table to use.

Given what we now know - the conclusion suggests that sony xperia play or xboxlive equipped smart phones could possibly suit the needs of many, and maybe a 7" device is as big as anyone really desires as a real portable multimedia device?

8. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Reading between the lines: 80% of people are already irritated about having to bend over and get reamed by expensive data plans for their smartphone, so arn't interested in their wireless carrier double dipping on a tablet. The other 20% have money to burn, are hotspot jumpers or have figured out wifi tethering.

9. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

So you spend £400+ on your new ipad 2 just so you can play games and use the web solely in your home. Okaaaaaay.

10. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Making the assumption that the games are very similar between the Ipod Touch and the Ipad (no reason why they shouldn't be similar) there are a few decent games mixed in with an absolute truckload of utter tripe*.

For me the lack of tactile controls is an instant killer for all but the simplest of games (although I did enjoy the demo of dungeon hunter 2 on my Ipod).

*This could also be applied to the apps in general.

11. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Lack of tactile control means room to innovate. Yes, most people are using this as a desktop replacement for Facebook, or simply using this to watch the odd Youtube vid....but this is the most desirable device currently and yes, people will bend over and get reamed by data plans. That's what you get for being first AND best in market.

12. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

The lack of physical controls is an issue, but only if the game has been poorly designed IMO, as long as the game works to the strengths of a touchscreen device then it can work, for example strategy games work really well on my iPhone and would also work well on an iPad.

Id love to see a total war port for tablet

13. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

I don't own one yet but it's more than a little obvious WHERE at home these things are used.
    In the bathroom! A netbook is too bulky and a tablet is the perfect size to use in the porcelain-tiled library.
    Here I was, thinking you people were smart. I am disillusioned!

14. digitaldave

digitaldave What's a Dremel?

there are a few good games for the ipad but most or just time wasting things like you would have on your phone.

but garageband for ipad is worth buying an ipad for not a game but it makes your ipad a very powerful music creation tool that you can scribble ideas on then export to make a complete track out of once you are back home.

I use mine mostly for note taking and passwords when working on site at clients, it replaces my notepad, its cheaper too as my mont blanc pen and piquadro notepad cost more than the ipad.

15. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Minimodder

a lot of people playing bejeweled then. What a bunch of muppets

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Got it in one. People want to browse the web the way they read a magazine or book. They want to email and Facebook the way they chat to friends on the phone. On the sofa, feet up, leaning back. Not perched on an office chair leaning forward hunched over a keyboard.

'cause, like, most people are not geeks, ya know? Surprise!

17. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

I kinda want one as a portable media player as I travel a lot, but I'm holding out for the market to mature. Whist the Ipad2 is no doubt a nice little device, without media expansion and flash support I'm playing the waiting game as I'm not fully sold on the alternatives yet either.

I doubt I'd use it at home much though.

18. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

College ruled or legal ruled tablets?

19. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

People don't use tablets on the move because the 3G/4G plans are too expensive and nobody wants yet another monthly bill. Also - they are impossible to read in the sunlight.

20. storm_temple

storm_temple What's a Dremel?

All these Gadgets and Gizmos are taking the living out of living.. Overly attachment to material things.
    Yeah go on browse thousands of photos , See endless hours of videos. Play those games to waste precious time..

Tags: Add Tags