1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8800 GTX GPU Heat

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by The Jambo, 29 Apr 2008.

1. The Jambo

The Jambo Last on the scene

just got myself the ol' favourite, a 8800 GTX, and for a start, im thoroughly impressed, having just tried an NVidia product for the first time.:eek:

Im no stranger to overclocking, as my past 3 systems have been overclocked (thats all except a 90's apple mac). But looking at the temperatures here, 49c on idle in the cool, and 80-ish on full blast in a warm room.:jawdrop:

The wonderful Q6600 has been on 100% on all 4 cores for about 2 days now and not reached 50 degrees.

Should i be crapping myself with these load temperatures?

2. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

The GTX runs on a G90 chip, and are well known for being pretty hot, however I'd still be slightly concerned with overclocking when it's at those temperatures.
    If you feel adventurous, perhaps remove the stock cooler and clean the chip, then reapply some better Tim to see if that reduces the problem?

Also, what are you using to measure the temperature? Rivatuner always gives off a good accurate reading on Nvidia cards, try that if you haven't already.

Edit: After having a look around, seems those temperatures are the norm, and when overclocking the idle temperature rises, but load doesn't too much, and apparently you don't need to worry until you either smell smoke or the temperatures reach triple digits.:eyebrow:

Last edited: 29 Apr 2008
  3. The Jambo

The Jambo Last on the scene

8800 GTX is G80 Based, i dont think there is a G90 :p

While overclocking (675mhz core + 2200mhz Memory bus) it reached about 85, then crashed.

On a repeat, i saw the artifacts began the second it reached 83 degrees.

Is it normal to crash at such low temperatures?

FYI, the stability test was Furmark.