1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8800GTX What gives ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blarte, 21 Jul 2008.

1. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

I have two systems running at home both using 8800GTX (one gamer machine with three on and a work horse)

BOTH Systems last night got blue screen .... Is this a underhand Nvidia Ploy to force me to upgrade you think ?

Any one else get blue screened last night ? :wallbash:

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

8800GTX Folding all weekends, only paused to play during alst night. no bluescreen, only restarted once for Vista updates.

it's rock solid stable. might just be your drivers. i find nVidia drivers needs to be updated after a while, i had 175.16 for more than 2 month, then it started to became unstable. updated to 177.41 w/ modded INI and it's fine ever since.

3. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

WUY,

I have ntune thing that alerts me to driver updates .. so they always have the newest drivers loaded, just last night both went blue screen (they recovered BTW) but it was right in the middle of Gears Of War on line (when for the first time ever I wasnt the worst player lol) Typical

4. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon What's a Dremel?

I also have a 8800GTX but haven't had problems
    I didn't update drivers either

but I must say, mighty strange they both blue screen at the same day

5. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Weird I know.. Annoying Definately.. Ah well back to being the worse player again online gears of war for me tonight (if I dont blue screen)

6. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

you probably had a power brownout or something

7. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

a power burn out ? on both systems within an hour of each other ? ... Hmmm.. even I am not that misfortunate .. (mind you going off my scores at GoW online.... yes I am) lol

8. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

No! A brown out is when the mains voltage drops, usually because the grid can't supply enough power. In order to keep things ticking over, they reduce the voltage so they can supply more current. This keeps some things like lights on but can cause problems with some other things like computers.

We get them all the time here as we have huge pumps in the cellar for all our water :) when they start up all the lights dim

9. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

ah got you... I have investigated this further and the card seems to be on its way out (The main gaming system is fine though (puzzled look))
    I got several blue screen last night when attempting to recover the older driver etc .. just doesnt want to play happy bunnies any longer
    at £425 quid ya think they'd last a bit longer than 5 months huh .... evga contacted .. for technical support prior to the inevitable RMA (dam it just added UV coolant too and it looks very funky)

10. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Sorry to hear the bad news.

If it's any consolation I have an eVGA 8800GTX, had it for 2 years. Sorry should say I have had 4 cards in 2 years! A new one every 6 months since they keep popping their clogs :|

eVGA RMA is awesome though :D

11. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

i have 8800GTXs and have never had a problem with them. my orignal 1 is an XFX and my second 1 is eVGA and they have both worked fine maybe i got lucky

12. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

I think I have found the problem and solution, I'm running Vista Ultimate ... (I know dont all hiss at once) ... there is a Nvidia Hotfix for the Sata HDD's thats caused issues... My card (s) might not be goosed afterall....(fingers crossed....) Mind you if I can stay blue screen free long enough to down load the hot fix is an other issue huh

These problems constantly eat into my serious gaming time ... pah Come on Nvidia ...MS ... get it together !