1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory 8gb ram question

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by NeedlesKane, 24 Jul 2009.

1. NeedlesKane

NeedlesKane You're a Dremel

hey guys,
    hope this is the right place for this.

ive just bought a sony vaio vgn-aw31m laptop and it says it can take up to 8gb ram (4 fitted)

http://vaio.sony.co.uk/view/ShowPro...s&category=VN+AW+Series&assetid=1218032875460

theres two ram slots underneath the laptop 2 x 2gb.

does this mean there will be two more slots underneath the keyboard, was wondering if anyone knew as it would save me having to take it apart to find out.

cheers.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

No. It says that your 4GB memory option is formed of 2 stick of 2GB.
    If you want 8GB it will be 2x4GB... meaning 2 stick of 4GB... 2 times 4 is 8.
    If you had 1 stick of 8GB of RAM, then it would be 1x8GB.. meaning 1 stick of 8GB.

Laptop usually have 2 RAM sockets.
    The RAM location is under the laptop, there is usually a RAM compartment which varies in position between laptop models and size.

3. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Well-Known Member

like GoodBytes said it will just be the 2 ram slots you would need to fit 2x4GB modules.
    to be honest i would not bother with the expense the change between 4-8gb isen't going to be
    huge especially on a laptop where very intensive apps (multitreaded/large memory demands) will not run very well anyway.

4. NeedlesKane

thanks for your help guys, i ask purely because i run virtual machine. which wouldve made 8 gb nice. and i had no idea you could get 4gb ddr2 sodimm :S

5. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Not sure if you can get them, but if you ever find them they won't be cheap! :eeek:

6. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

I have never heard of a reliable 8gb stick of RAM. 2x4gb of RAM is very expensive and less reliable then 2x2gb but if you want 8gb, 2x4gb is the best.

7. smc8788

smc8788 ...at least I have chicken

Yup, you can get them, but they generally start at around £150 each, so it's not advisable.

8. NeedlesKane

thanks again guys, ive had a look round and the cheapest ive found them is £42 a stick for 4gb. have just looked in the laptop bios and everything is locked off except boot order. so VT is inaccessible. how stupid am i for thinking vaio would give me a real bios!

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

That, or your CPU doesn't support VT.

10. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

check tool for vmware for 64-bit guests.. you should be fine running a 32bit os as a guest on the vaio without EM64T and VT- if your running the win 7 vm, your getting the melee island marketing scheme of selling more chips! =p it should at least do old xp but I guess microsoft wants it that way..

Processor Check for 64-Bit Compatibility

This is a standalone processor check utility which you can use without VMware Workstation to perform the same check and determine whether your CPU is supported for virtual machines with 64-bit guest operating systems.

Version: 6.0 | 2007/05/09 | Build 45731

http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/drivers_tools.html

Note: This utility is provided without support from VMware.