1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9-11 Memorial Chosen for Flight 93 Victims

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Dad, 8 Sep 2005.

1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

From Foxnews:

WASHINGTON — The heroic struggle by airline passengers who thwarted a terror attack on the nation's capital on Sept. 11, 2001 (search), will be commemorated in a 2,000-acre memorial site that includes a chapel with metallic wind chimes.

The "Crescent of Embrace" (search) memorial, created by a team of designers led by Paul Murdoch Architects (search) of Los Angeles, was chosen Wednesday by the Flight 93 Advisory Commission. (search) The aim of the one-year competition was to honor the 40 passengers and crew who died after their plane was hijacked and crashed in a field in rural Pennsylvania.

The chapel, featuring 40 chimes symbolizing each of the victims, will stand at the entryway to the vast park.

"The idea is, as the wind continues through the site, there will be sounds generated that will act as a living memory to those who died," Murdoch said.

The memorial in Shanksville (search), Pa., will also include pedestrian trails and a roadway leading to a visitor center and the actual crash site, which will be surrounded by a crescent of maple trees. The victims' names will be inscribed on a white marble wall.

More here

See the selected design here

This thread is NOT about terrorism, is NOT about the Iraq war, is NOT to be political thread of any sort. This thread is about the 40 souls who began a normal day like anyone else and in an instant became true American heros. Personally, I believe that the families all deserve our respect and the people on flight 93 should be recognized federally by each individual receiving the Presidental Medal of Freedom. Especially since it is speculated that flight 93 was heading for either the White House or Capital Building.

I can't imagine what was going thourgh their minds when they realized what was happening and the method as to which they all decided to take conrol of the plane at all costs. There is a show this Sunday on the Discovery Channel at 9:00p est called 93 - The Flight that Fought Back which is to be aired without any commercial interuptions. I suggest that anyone who doesn't know the story to watch it..

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I completely agree. Although it was a tragedy in itself, they prevented something that could have been far, far worse. They demonstrated heroism in its truest form.

3. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Very nice. I am glad they decided to make a memorial for those who gave their lives to save who knows how many more.

Great to see. I wonder when they will start building this and the new Trade Center Memorial.

4. .308AR

.308AR What's a Dremel?

A crescent is a bit disconcerting..

5. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Is "semicircle" any better? That's what it is, really.

6. Elextrik

Elextrik What's a Dremel?

Rest in peace thoughs who have died in the 9/11 tragic.

7. robbins1940

robbins1940 Banned

I heard rumours that the plane was shot down and that these passengers fighting the terrorists is just fiction.

8. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

These are just rumours, although there is a lot of evidence of this, we should still have a memorial to the people who died.