1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shuttle SN25P review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 13 Jun 2005.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Pezboy

Pezboy What's a Dremel?

I can and will. The G5 is the hottest looking chassis they've made to date. "Shiny plastic" is the reason we like Coolermaster cases over the $20, finger-slicing generic piles of crap. The brushed aluminum fascia on the front plate is far superior to shiny plastic.

I also take issue with "runs like a little oven." I haven't used the 25P, but I get temperatures in the 35-45C range with room temp at 23-25C, 45 only on load. The 92mm fan in my G5 has a lot to do with that, but even in my 45G4 they were 40-50C.

Sorry if I sound like a raving lunatic, but I think the P chassis was a step backwards and is far outclassed by the G5.

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

The chassis design is all a matter of personal preference. Both the G5 and P series chassis are nice in my opinion, and it is down to personal preference as to which suits you best. :)

4. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

I own a G chassis and have recently been building a computer in the P series and have to agree Pezboy. The P series is highly annoying and more difficult to build in. It's definity a step backwards imo.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Hmm, i agree about the brush alu G5s, they are really really nice but the Gs are MORE of an oven than the Ps which have a FAR superior thermal design and your harddisks are less likely to die because they have a dedicated airflow and are in the top of the case making them easier to remove. Like all new cases youve got to get used to building it a few times to see how it all works.
    Admittidly it's probably ever-so-slightly too large but it's still SFF, and the pics never seem to do it justice, youve got to use one for a while to appreciate it more as it definately grows on you. It's not one of those "OMFG need it NOW!" kinda things.

Remember, the G styling has had 5 revisions and the P is in it's first. A brushed alu cover to the P will make it much nicer.
    Also the P interior is suprimely superior to the G in every way: 350W PSU that doesnt get in the way and better thermals etc. They could have made the ICE unit bigger though and put in a much needed PCI slot.

6. IronFire

IronFire What's a Dremel?

"but others might have more luck with higher rated ram and more labile CPUs"

"We lowered the CPUs mulitplier to ensure "

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

what's wrong with labile?

multiplier is just a typo :blush:

8. IronFire

IronFire What's a Dremel?

Just seems to be a strange word choice to refer to a CPU.

9. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Perhaps its the english teachers at my school who are getting to me with this comment... :worried:
    Your liberal use of the word style and its various other forms makes me want to reword parts with the word aesthetics, or at least phrase things differently to take out the word; repetition of the same word referring to the same thing makes the reading very monotonous, and a bit more boring than if you rephrased lines to remove the word style.

Other than that, nice review Bindi; Id love to get one if only it could overclock-and if I had cash to spend on such things :p

10. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Do you guys like your shuttles? I'm curious because the next computer I do, I might take the plunge. The only issue is that I love to OC, aside from that I don't see any reason that I couldn't go for a shuttle.

11. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Agree with Bindi's point about airflow. I just hate the sheer amount of clips the P series uses.

Da Dego - I love mine, oc's nicely, small and convient.

12. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

At least it doesn't have a stupid thermal design like the SN85G4 v1. hot air from the psu blowing over the I.C.E unit, nice one shuttle! I like shuttles, but i hate my SN85G4v1. Just wish i had the money to ditch this one and get one that wont melt down if i leave the case on.

The ST20G5 is going to replace my shuttle when i can afford it. tri monitor, mmmmm.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's the joy of choice of where you read reviews. If you dont like my own british english style then there are many other sites to cater to your tastes :naughty:
    I get what you mean about reptition but it goes through 2 editors, stuff is swapped around and there's litterally only a certain amount of times you can say the same thing "it's fast" "it's nice" blah blah :|

14. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Hmmm...someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed (or hasn't gone yet). :hehe: Bindi, was that really necessary? :) That was only constructive criticism...not like he was ripping your review apart!

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

What timing, I was just looking into getting one.

Basically the same results I've read elsewhere. Others had better luck overclocking, but oh well. I'm looking for media center, not powerhouse.

I've also heard conflicting things about the chipset. I've read NF4 ultra and non-ultra. Even amongst the review sites I've had split results, and customer reviews at newegg show the same thing. One guy said that an updated bios (and a call to shuttle) showed it as an NF4 Ultra, but I'm really not sure.

Also, you guys wouldn't know what socket heatsink mounting that is (it wasn't pictured, but I've seen it elsewhere). I know it doesn't use A64... it it LGA775? Watercooling ponderings, for what it's worth :D

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No no no no. I was merely explaining that there is a variety of editorial wealth out there to suit everyones tastes, not having a go. Roto knows what i mean, yea, aiiight ;)

:worried:

Fire:
    [​IMG]
    Best ive got, it's a custom shuttle size. LGA is square.

17. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

Its listed on the shuttle products page as having - Chipset: NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra MCP. But in the product info, it simply says NVIDIA nForce™4 MCP. Bindi?

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

In the guff we got with it it was specficially listed as an nForce 4 MCP like in your product info and ACHI options werent clearly labelled in the BIOS revision we had so i dunno. Iirc the front of the box didnt even have the ultra labelling either.
    I cant check either cause the unit has been passed on, sorry.

Maybe nvidia lowered the price of the ultra chipsets so shuttle upgraded the spec and some people got ultras to review and others standard??

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Plop in a SATA-II HDD and see what it says for transfer mode?

Gah, custom waterblock mounting I guess. Unless it's 478 or Xeon. I could have sworn it looked dead square in another review I read (I read at least 6 last night), but the one at amdzone I just checked (read:first google result) definately put it a bit more rectangular than I thought.

Ok WTF?
    http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Barebone/SN25P.asp
    "NVIDIA nForce™4 MCP"
    "(4) Serial ATA 300 headers"
    and the two-page spec sheet pdf says "hardware firewall"
    soo confused!

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTExMzk2NDk5MG9PZkJpa2lRbjNfMV8xN19sLmpwZw==
    definately rectangular, but hard to tell if it's actually custom or just some other socket.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You cant just pop in a SATA2 harddisk, you first have to enable ACHI in the BIOS and reinstall windows with ACHI enabled. If you try to use an ACHI harddisk in a non ACHI system windows will BSOD on boot and visa versa.

I dont think ANY shuttles are "standard" since they employ their own ICE unit as a complete solution. You might as well buy it and work out the rest later ;) you're gonna need to use some screwdown thing unless you dremel off the screw threads from the chassis underneath the mobo.

Iirc, nvidia has a standard hardware firewall, but lacks the activearmour in the non-ultra version. I think.

Tags: Add Tags