1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 96 percent of netbooks use Windows, says Microsoft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Apr 2009.

1. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah if you know how to tweak xp out.. all you need is the key- I can understand the power saving on linux but that's about it.. not everyone is going to be computer literate- just look at the popularity of facebook rofl.. half of those people can barely put their shoes on :eek:

2. Neophyte4Life

Neophyte4Life What's a Dremel?

i have xp, backtrack, and easy peasy on my ee904. Needless to say the default grub is set to easy peasy since it boots the fastest.

3. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

If windows "just works," what do macs do?

4. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

They have marketing campaigns maybe?

5. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i bought a netbook with windows on it, then wiped the disk and installed linux. my brother, who is as n00b as they come, bought one with linux. i offered to install windows on it for him because i had a spare license, but he said he would rather keep linux. it's 5mo later now, he knows how to use apt-get and is still very happy with linux. i did the initial setup for him, and he hasn't had to call asking me for help once.

6. digitaldave

digitaldave What's a Dremel?

i had linux on my asus netbook, then went to windoze, then sold it and bought a macbook pro.

still have a windoze PC but would like to get away from their wares eventually, only problem is i have bought lots of apps and cant switch the license, from now on ill be buying mac apps only and eventually get out of the grips of MS.

7. labr@t

labr@t What's a Dremel?

i had xp on my lenovo s10 but choose to install ubuntu 8.1 onto it, much nicer os all round and perfect for my needs .

8. EvilRusk

EvilRusk What's a Dremel?

Many companies have windows domains (remote profile etc) and all of the licenses/hardware they have is for windows systems so it makes sense to have a windows netbook as it's easier than fitting a linux one into an existing windows only system. It just makes business sense that way.

Of course for home users there isn't much reason not to use linux as how many of us log in to a remote profile?

9. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

I've stuck XP on my old Dell CPi. It has a 266Mhz processor, 128MB of RAM, 4GB HDD. I have it down to 11 background processes. It works pretty decent actually.

XP can literally be put on anything and still be a useable OS.

Your average computer user only knows Windows, why would they want anything different? People have no interest in learning new things, they just want a computer that is easy to use.

10. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

96% of people are too lazy to raise their kids, why would anyone think that they can learn to use Linux? Windows and macOS are for idiots and ignorants (usually referred to as "general public"), Linux is for people that know what they need and are not afraid to use their brain.

XP is actually quite good - after several years of patching and when you put a little effort into configuration it's a good day-to-day usage and gaming system so it fits nicely an a netbook if you're too stupid to use Linux or just prefer XP.

11. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I don't think the windows based netbooks are that much more so why not just spring for the windows based one

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Fanboyism at its finest.

All OS' have a time and a place. Linux isn't always the best one, especially for the general public. Just because some people don't want it doesn't mean they're stupid though.

13. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

A bit harsh? I mean not everyone wants to use Linux(I don't) because I haven't the time to learn how to code, ect ect.

I know full well how to modify XP and Vista, and so far it's fine, even great for my needs.

Not to bash Linux, but it's a bit hard to meet that gaming need in any Linux distro w/o a few headaches.

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

its just a matter of ease, and most users know how to work Windows and thus would be easier for the masses to get a netbook and know everything will work with little thought so of course most use windows.

15. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

lol fanboi troll alert....

16. naokaji

naokaji whatever

My very old 12" Macbook works just fine as well, just like my windows pcs...

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

You don't need to know how to code, to be fair. But it is harder work than simple point-and-click tbh.

18. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Don't get me wrong - i don't have anything against Apple, I was just commenting on the effect that Apple's adverts have

19. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Why the hell would I want to install an OS like Linux that may or may not be compatible with my hardware? If it is compatible and yet I have to jump through hoops to make it work, why would I do this? OS's like Linux may be good for servers, but not for personal home use. Sure, Microsoft OS's can be bloated and eat up more resources than it needs or should, but I don't have to spend hours trying to figure out how to make a peripheral device work on the system. I just plug it in and most of the time don't even need a driver disk.

I actually prefer an OS that is self intuitive. I spend all day looking at code trying to diagnose issues and come up with solutions. I want an OS that is easy to use and does what I need without having to consult Google on 'How do I do this?'. MS have been doing this for years and OS's like Linux are decades behind.

Note: Until now, I didn't even mention games in this rant. Having to run some sort of emulation software to make a game work on Linux kinda buries the hatchet.

20. FR34K

FR34K What's a Dremel?

the second I got my netbook, I removed everything windows related...sticker and all

Tags: Add Tags