1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 9700 resolution query

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shambla, 11 Mar 2003.

1. Shambla

Shambla What's a Dremel?

I am thinking of upgrading my GF4 to a 9700/9700 Pro but the slight catch is that I need to be able to run my monitor 1280 x 768, which isnt one of the listed resolutions on the ati site. It states below the list that other resolutions are possible depending on your OS and drivers, as you would hope considering the tiny number of resolutions on the list. Anyhow, my question is this; can someone with a 9700 (ideally running win2K, though XP is prolly much the same) tell me for certain whether the resolution is possible on the card.

2. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Banned

3. Shambla

Shambla What's a Dremel?

cheers for the prompt reply, I assumed it would since even my GF4 does but you gotta check these things before spending £200

4. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Banned

if it doesnt have that res in windows when you do by it, download a program called PowerStrip, you will be able to adjust it from there. :)

5. Shambla

Shambla What's a Dremel?

yeah I have a copy of power strip but the thing is that I am gonna be running dual monitors - 1 on 1280 x 768 and one on 1280 x 1024. Do you happen to know if this is possible? I am running version 3.18 of Powerstrip but there doesnt seem to be any obvious way of setting both monitor's resolutions in its options. Am I right in thinking that I can use PS to set a custom res of 1280 x 768 on my primary monitor and then use the ATI drivers to run my second monitor at 1280 x 1024?

6. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

it does appear to be possible to run 2 seperates at different reses.. just playing with the dual functions on my new 9500 card. if that works I dont see why it wont on a 9700 or 9700 Pro.. I think im converted to ATi now though.. dunno if thats good or bad.. hmm.

7. Shambla

Shambla What's a Dremel?

yeah I am a bit of an Nvidia fan having owned every generation of Geforce card - a GF1 DDR, a GF2 GTS, a GF3 and a GF4 Ti4400, but even I have to say that Nvidia is loosing it. The FX is disappointing to say the least and right when Nvidia really had some competition to fight off. Well I dont see them going bankrupt any time soon, so I will wait to see their next card before any final judgements.
    Anyway back on topic - does anyone know a definate answer to my last query? I know its not exactly a common monitor setup to run but surely I am not the first to try something along these lines...

8. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

AS I said above. it does appear to be possible from what I have seen on the ATI software
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

obviously my settings are fubared cause I dont actually have a second display but it looks doable.. may rig up my spare (slightly broken) 15 inch and have a play.

9. Shambla

Shambla What's a Dremel?

yeah sorry I didnt make it completely clear, I knew you could do that but I wanted to know basically whether a particular combination of resolutions was possible as I have one standard 4:3 monitor to run and one 16:9 widescreen screen too. Cheers for the help none the less as I have been wanting a decent screenshot of that settings tab as most reviews just have the d3d and open gl stuff. I ordered my 9700 anyway, and I will prolly post some pictures of the setup at the weekend

10. CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax What's a Dremel?

I have a Sapphire 9700, and I am running two monitors at different resolutions and refresh rates from it with no problems at all:

Monitor 1: 19" @ 1600 x 1200, 75Hz

Monitor 2: 15" @ 1280 x 960, 70Hz

The smaller monitor is running quite a high res really but I chose that so that things are about the same size on both, so when something is dragged between the two it doesn't grow or shrink :)

Tags: