1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 9800pro to 9800XT BIOS flash guide

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unclean, 24 Jun 2004.

1. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

Hey,

I spent a while gather info on how to flash my 9800pro. Theres a couple of things if anyone out there want's to try it..

First off-Only perform this if you have an R360 core! It will work on an R350, just there is no performance benefit and some of the shading, etc won't work properly due to the core differences. I also strongly recommend an upgrade in cooling, as flashing the BIOS increases the card voltage, this will be the reason for artifacts kicking in at lower clocks if you are using the stock HSF.

Want to know how to tell if you have an R360 core?

Remove the heatsink covering your GPU, carefully wipe the thermal paste off the core. You will either see "R350" or "R360". R360 cores usually have black heatsink attachments insted of gold, and Hynix memory is also a pretty good sign. Ignore what ATI tool says, as it said i had an R350 core, which i checked manually, and it turned out to be an R360.

Got yourself an R360 core?

Good, lets continue. Next you need to check your card will run at XT stock clocks. There is a variety of tools for overclocking your GPU. ATI Tool, Rivatuner and Radlinker all do a great job. What you are aiming for is a 412MHz core clock speed and a 365MHz memory clock speed. Once you have installed your overclocking program (google...) set your card to these clock speeds. You should then run a good 3dmark01/03 and have yourself a nice gaming session to be sure it's stable and artifact free at these speeds.
    If you have a R360 core r9800np/pro that copes with the clocks, go ahead!

Next, your gonna need to find a BIOS with the same type and amount of memory as your card. E.g. Do NOT flash a 128mb pro card with an XT 256mb BIOS. Yes, they do make 9800XTs with 128mb of memory, there just not too available.

The card manufacturer isn't too important, just the memory.

Ok. What you need to do now is prepare a boot floppy. If you've forgotten how to do this, download this file, it will create the boot floppy for you.

The next thing you will need to do is copy the BIOS flashing applications.
    Download all thee apps in this folder, and copy them onto the boot floppy you should have made.

Once this has all been done you will need to put on the BIOS you will be flashing to onto the floppy. I have made a collection of some of the more hard to find 128mb XT BIOSes here. They are all pretty much the same, most are for Samsung memory, i have also got samsung e-die there. As i know a lot of people here will have recently bought Sapphire 9800pros, i have included a BIOS that uses Hynix RAM, which the Sapphire is currently shipping with.

I have only tested the Hynix BIOS personally, but have had others with results from the Samsung BIOSes.

Ok, so download the appropriate BIOS for your memory (or if you have a 256mb card, use google and download one!), you should then rename this to "9800xt.bin" as DOS can get in a state with the longer names, and plus it's easier to remember. Copy this "9800xt.bin" file onto your bootable disc with the flashing apps. This is all the prep work done. You now have all you need to flash your card.

But before you reboot and flash that BIOS you need to know a few commands.
    Set floppy as the primary boot option. Once you have booted the floppy you should be presented with an "A:\" prompt. At this point you should BACK UP YOUR EXISTING BIOS. If the BIOS flash goes wrong for some reason you will need to reflash it with the original BIOS, better be safe than sorry, etc.
    The command you need is "flashrom -s 0 9800pro.bin" This will copy your cards current BIOS to the floppy, and name the file 9800pro.bin. Note that it is zero "0" rather than "o".

Once you have backed up your BIOS you are ready to overwrite it with the XT BIOS. The command to do this is "flashrom -f -p 0 9800xt.bin". The -f forces the BIOS to flash, as the card may not accept BIOSes from other manufacturers by default. It should then display "6xxx 6xxx" on the screen. Once the "A:\" prompt is returned, reboot the PC.

If all goes well, the new BIOS has been written and your ready to roll.
    I found that i had to boot the computer in VGA mode to get the display to appear. Press "F8" during boot up and select "VGA mode".

You should then log in as normal, at low res. settings. You will probably need to reinstall your drivers if there is any trouble with windows plug and play recognition.

Gawp at your "XT" card, and have a laugh. Pretty cool, huh?

Here's some results....

Before flash:

[​IMG]

After flash:

[​IMG]

Spot the difference? Also note how ATI tool reads it as an R350 core with the pro BIOS, and R360 when XT.
    I found a slight increase in 3dmark03 at the same clock speeds. I haven't done too much benching, as I'm waiting to install my Artic cooler to try some real overclocking, but everything works fine with no artifacts or other errors. Hope that was of help to anyone. :D

Last edited: 30 Jun 2004
  2. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

whats the difference between the XT and the pro bar clock and memory speeds and amount of memory?

3. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

what was yr 3dmark(s) before and after?

4. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

The XT BIOS increases the voltage if you have an R360 core, it also enables some better shading, etc. This should allow for higher clocks.

(Plus it makes you look like more of a big man on the ORB ;) )

As for 3dmarks. In '03 i was getting 6555 with heavy tweaking and with the core at 443/408MHz as a pro.

I then got 6471 at 429 MHz/388 MHz. At the moment, it won't clock as high (artifact free) as an XT. BUT, this is on stock cooling, and the artifacts in my case are caused by heat, and as the increase in core makes more heat...

In the XT run i was also connected to the net and had an IE mIRC open. To be honest, ~70 points is a normal variation, and considering there was less core and less memory, i would say it performs better at the same clocks as an XT. I will have to put the artic cooler on and see what clocks i can get with some real cooling then.

5. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

Erm.. between the latest 9800pros with the R360 core? Not a lot.

As i said, some XTs have 128mb of memory. That is likely to be rated at 2.5ns. So basically the pro is an XT with slightly worse memory.

Mine even has the XT PCB.

The difference between the 256mb 9800pro with the R360.. well there isn't any, when flashed, even the "overdrive" feature and temperatures were unlocked on the card. I'm currently looking into how to unlock the temps on the 128mb version.

6. Bamze

Bamze What's a Dremel?

so i understand that in order to achieve more oc i must increase the core voltage
    my question is: will that heat the core causing more artefacts ??
    in fact, is the voltage raising encreasing the number of artefacts on my card?

and tell me pls where in bios i should search for the voltage modification option for my video card and which is the safe limit to raise that voltage ?
    my mainboard is an abit an7

7. ElCid

ElCid What's a Dremel?

Your video card bios and your motherboard bios are completly seperate. You either need to update the bios of your card or voltmod it.

8. k3nn

k3nn What's a Dremel?

im guessing that a bios form one manufacturer wont work on a board form a different manufacturer?
    Anybody seen a bios for a connect 3d 128mb xt?

9. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

I mentioned in the guide, that it doesn't matter what manufacturer the BIOS is from, as long as the memory manufacturer is the same.

I'm running a club3d BIOS in my Sapphire pro, works fine.

I also mentioned that you should upgrade the cooling. I get artifacts at lower clocks with the XT BIOS. But that's because the voltage has been increase and it has the crappy stock Sapphire HSF.

10. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

This quide will be very usefull to me as I just got my Sapphire Radeon 9800PRO with a R360 core :rock:

Cheers,
    Mike

11. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Where from dude?

12. SFOD-D LoneWolf

A friend of mine bought a few and he sold me one

Cheers,
    Mike

13. mushky

mushky gimme snails

ok thanks,
    i was just wondering which shop they came from as it could be useful if I get one..
    Cheers

14. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

I got mine from komplett.co.uk.

1337modderman has the same card, got it from scan.co.uk.

both R360 cores. Hope that helps.

15. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

unclean which bios did you use for your card?

16. mushky

mushky gimme snails

thanks dude :)

17. SFOD-D LoneWolf

Page down, please direct me to those apps as I wan't to flash my card ASAP :hip:

Cheers,
    Mike

Nevermind...:
    http://unclean.no-ip.com/downloads/flash/

Last edited: 30 Jun 2004
  18. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

As i said.. I have Hynix memory, so i had to used the clud3d 128mb, Hynix BIOS.

And i fixed the link guys!

19. SFOD-D LoneWolf

I'm gonna have a heartattack!

During the flashing of the 9800XT.bin i got an ERROR!
    What may be wrong?

Cheers,
    Mike

P.S.
    I have a Sapphire 9800PRO Atlantis on a XT PCB with a R360 core, it copes well with the XT speeds.

20. SFOD-D LoneWolf

Turn off all the alarms.

All is well so far.

Cheers,
    Mike

Tags: