1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 9800pro to 9800XT BIOS flash guide

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unclean, 24 Jun 2004.

1. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

i just got a 256mb saphire pro, and was wondering what cooler people would reccomend? i hear a lot of good things about the artic cooler and the zalman...is there anything else i should look at?
    cheers...

2. DanMcr

DanMcr New Member

I got my connect3d rad9800pro a while back and also looked into this. I got the R360 and 1.6ns hynix mem.
    You can also get the temp monitor working as long as you have a small chip abit further away from the core towards the back of the card. (Crap description i know, but i cant find the pic anymore, ill try and dig it up again)
    The temp monitoring only works through atitool, and not the ati control panel for some strange reason. And overdrive doesnt work either.

3. felix the cat

right...i just took my heatsink of and i have the r360 core...what program can i use to check temps? tried ati tool but i cant see anything... :duh:

4. DanMcr

DanMcr New Member

Needs to be flashed to XT mate.
    You then get an extra check box in atitool.

Also, you dont have to take your hsf off to check if you have r360 core.
    Go into atitool, in advanced options i think and choose dump bios. Find the bios.bin file in atitool install dir (if you cant see it make sure you got show all hidden & system files on in folder options). Rename it bios.txt and open. Should be right at the top what core you got. :D

5. DanMcr

DanMcr New Member

6. felix the cat

well, the ati tool bios dump said r350 but the core says r360, as stated by unclean in his guide this can be the case...i will definatly flash it to xt but i reckon i ought to try and get this measly cooling sorted first...any ideas on whats good and whats not cooling wise?

7. Chobbler

Chobbler Running with a Spoon

you might want to get the asus bios if you flash to the xt because it has the VIVO theatre chip that the others don't have...

edit: i was checking the bios dump and apprently i don't ahve the power connector connected!!!!! will that make a differnce? (it is plugged in...might be worth using another connector...) at least its the 360 core.

8. felix the cat

but would my card support it if its a saphire?

yeah i got that about the power connector but chose to ignore it as why would it make any difference?

9. DanMcr

DanMcr New Member

I need to get some better cooling on mine too. Can get the core quite high on stock hsf, but the memory isnt playing.
    The vga silencer looks good to me. Bound to be beter than stock anyhow, and its bloody cheap. :D
    That and some ramsinks.
    I want to move over to water, but its not gonna happen for awhile.

As for the power connecter thing, have you actually got it plugged in?? If so then test out some other leads and see if it says the same.
    You get a warning i think if it isnt plugged in, and the card runs at lower clock speeds, so you it shouldnt be a problem as long as your card is at the correct speeds.

10. felix the cat

hmm...i still dont see how the hell it knows that it is not plugged in....but anyway...quick question for unclean...do i just search for a 9800XT 256mb bios?
    ta

11. lcdguy

lcdguy Active Member

got a question, i have a

MSI RX9800 (9800 Pro) videocard.

but when i loaded either the Catalyst Driver or Omega Driver it lists in windows as a 9800XT.

also when i looked at the exported bios file using ati tool

it says the following

Uªhé¯ ¼ IBM 761295520 ?? P 2004/03/24 10:58 éR é
     DvN7’b`•
    Radeon 9800Pro P/N 113-AA06905-100-MI 4x32 Hyn VGA+DVI+VO
    (C) 1988-2003, ATI Technologies Inc. BK-ATI VER008.015.099.000 nj8956b2.p00 v611 R360AGP DGD1UN
    Radeon 9800Pro PLUS P/N 113-MS8956B-100

12. felix the cat

take the heatsink of to see if its an r360 or r 350 core to make sure....

13. Leeum

Leeum New Member

Don't go putting on any old BIOS mate, use this guide: http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=92&pgno=0 It also links to BIOS archives. I'm all ready to flash mine, it's running at 9800 Pro much higher than 9800 XT speeds with Tweakmonster RAM Sinks and a VGA Silencer.

14. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

unclean, did u get that new cooler yet?? and have you tested it?

I've just fitted my VGA Silencer, about to see if it'll clock high enough as its an r360 :D

Death

15. lcdguy

lcdguy Active Member

how do you tell if it has a xt bios, will it show up in windows as a 9800XT, cause if that is it, then it was already done by MSI. :)

16. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Arggghhh my memory is crapping out at anythin above above 335 :wallbash: Can i improve this with burning in with something (if so what??) Or shall i invest in some RAMSinks?? The memory is warm to the touch.

Core is fine tho, can put that above 412 with no artifacts :thumb:

Death

17. felix the cat

ramsinks do bugger all imo...but you can always give it a try, as some people say it helps...

18. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

They really do fark all except look pretty.

Most of the heat on the card comes from the core, so once that's cooled, theres not much more you can do to cool the memory. If you give the chips a prod after a benching sess. and see how hot they are, if there very hot, you might aswell stick some sinks on there.

I haven't had the chance to get an arctic cooler, and it's looking to be another couple of weeks before i can get one :sigh: I hope to get another ~20MHz on the core when i do, and possibly make the mem stable at 410MHz (currently 400MHz). That should push me clear of 7,000 in 3dmark01. Then that's all I'm doing to that rig, gonna be another 2 years before i fork out on a PCI-E moster.

And yes, ATItool will read 9800pros with the R360 core as R350.

19. Leeum

Leeum New Member

Just flashed mine tonight. Mine's fitted with VGA Silencer Rev. 3 and Tweakmonster BGA RAM Sinks

(3DMark03)

Before - 9800 Pro - Stock = 5600
    Before - 9800 Pro - 430/378 = 6250

After - GeCube 9800 XT - Stock = 6150
    After - GeCube 9800 XT - 430/378 = 6551

Still deciding wether it was worth the risk. One thing to note the monitor goes standby for at least 10 seconds before turning on the XP screen :confused:

20. DanMcr

DanMcr New Member

Mine shows as R360, so im not gonna bother pulling the hsf off to check.
    The core clocks well beyond xt speeds, but the mem is dying about 5mhz under. :sigh:
    Gonna order an artic cooler and some ram sinks for good measure.
    Ill check the core too while fittin the new hsf.

Tags: