1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking 9900K @ 5GHz 1.2V guide Gigabyte Z390 Master + 5.2GHz 1.28v guide pg2)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 20 Nov 2018.

1. sberesni

sberesni What's a Dremel?

You just knocked 20° off of my load temperatures, I owe you my sanity for the last few months!

Guest-44432 likes this.
  2. djones

djones What's a Dremel?

Your guide worked great for me, although with the newer bios I can't find the PWM and VAXG settings. In addition I've went and adjusted the "IA AC" & "IA DC" to their lowest value (1) as the "normal" vcore setting for running an offset seemed wonky for me without it. I run "normal" vcore with a +0.140 offset, 5Ghz, 47x ring ratio no AVX offset. prime 29.8 small fft without going above 79 degrees.

Quick question as I've gotten my system running very stable @ 5ghz and plenty of headroom with temps as I've delidded. If I wanted to push 5.2Ghz, could I alternatively keep AC/DC loadline on power saving and go slightly more flat on the LLC? I went from low to medium when going to 5.2 @ 1.37 and it seemed pretty damn stable. Still had vdroop (1.29/1.3 under load on VR VOUT) which I'm perfectly fine with since LLC turbo> scares the hell out of me. Going to have to run some longer stress tests but did a quick realbench stress and was looking good.

Thank you so much!

3. Ethereal

Ethereal What's a Dremel?

Works great for me.

Although my core speed and voltage fluctuate a lot at idle. Seems to jump from 5000 to 800mhz thereabouts every second or so, .670-1.25v. Is this normal? I it possible to just have the clock speed sitting at 800 during idle? Under load it just pegs at 5000 which is great, im just not so sure about the constant core clock and voltage fluctuation at idle.???

4. Elric

Elric What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I have set up a fixed vcore profile: which goes like this :https://www.casimages.com/i/20060411544998419.jpg.html
    I did 2h on occt large, AVX 2 and got those results : https://www.casimages.com/i/20060411544998419.jpg.html

I tried to do an adaptive profile without success for now
    Tried 1.29 on different LLC, got errors on SMALL OCCT (no avx)

I wondered what I could use to get a stable and cooler oc or are my settings fine? I was told to avoid using turbo llc but seems to be stable without overshoot

Thanks

Last edited: 5 Jun 2020
  5. icyulkn

icyulkn What's a Dremel?

Great guide, I was able to get it pretty stable at 5.2 GHZ 9900K and an Aorus Master, but at a much higher 1.45vcore under load which is just too much. I'm @ +0.20 and medium LLC (rest of guide as is) How were you able to achieve -0.100 and normal LLC?! I try that and my computer won't even boot. Am I missing something? Anyone else had success at 5.2? Really interested in this one.

Last edited: 15 Jul 2020
  6. Try12

Try12 What's a Dremel?

@Elric your two links are showing the same screen shots.
    @true_gamer, could you please publish screenshots from the new Bios, as the layout seems to be changed. Or in case you use the old version what Bios version are you using?

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Awesome, glad you have it running well.

Those PWM and other settings are in "Advance Voltage Settings/CPU-VRM Settings" (Just scroll drown under the "Tweaker Tab"

Usually it will fluctuate like that when you have things running in the background. So, close any unnessary programs in task manager.
    To help fix that fluctuation, just turn "Power Saving Mode" On in the power options in Windows, but you will need to revert it back to "Balance" to get the CPU to boost from 3.6GHz to 5GHz.

I will share some settings in a new post I have been testing for a 5.2GHz overclock. Should work for 5GHz aswell, but this is with using AVX Offset, which seems to help with these "Small FTTs prime tests"

I will share some settings in a new post for my 5.2GHz with HT overclock which needs around 1.28v.
    I am also running the latest Bios F11c.

Yes, I will do this in a new post shortly. This guide will be for 5.2GHz with HT.

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

9900K 5.2GHz 1.28v with HT and AVX Offset - Prime95 Small FTT's stable.*
    *Overclocking is at your own risk, and I accept no liabillity. Although these settings shown work for my CPU, yours may vary.

As with any overclocking, we will not overclock anything else but the CPU first. So Leave the memory at it's default or XMP Profile.

[​IMG]

Once you have copied all the above settings, we will now head to "Advance CPU Settings"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again, copy all settings as shown above. (Leaving "Intel(R) Speed Shift Technology" Disabled, for now...)

Once copied, press esc to head back to the main menu. We will now go to "Advance Voltage Settings"

[​IMG]

Then on the below screenshot, you will head to "CPU/VRM Settings"

[​IMG]

From here, copy these settings as shown.

[​IMG]

Now we can save and exit the bios, and load into Windows.
    If you can not boot, then I suggest loading default settings, reboot, then try again adding these settings.
    If again you cannot boot into windows, you can try increasing "Dynamic Vcore(DVID)" by 0.010v. (Found in the first pic of this post).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once in windows, you should be seeing the CPU at 5.2GHz and a Vcore around the same (Depending on your CPU, some are better than others).

[​IMG]

This image is for demostration purposes of running Prime95 Small FTT's, and showing you what AVX Offset does to the CPU frequency when running AVX instructions like Prime95.
    I get a bit of Vdroop using the "Medium" CPU Loadline Calibration. But as it is 100% stable, I have kept it at that. You may want to try "High" LLC if you get errors during the stress test.
    If you find you cannot get a stable test, then you will need to change the AVX Offset from 2, to 3, up to 5 etc, until you can run Prime95 Stable.

As you can see in the above image, the CPU is running at 5.2GHz, but when you run any AVX workloads, the CPU will drop frequency to the offset you set in the bios. So in this case, we are using an AVX Offset of 2, which means we are running Prime95 at 5GHz rather than 5.2GHz, where it would error, see the pic below.

[​IMG]

AVX Offset is a great feature, as it means your system will be more stable under certain heavy workloads.
    As you can also see here, the CPU will run at 5.2GHz in games fine.

[​IMG]

Once you find your stable overclock, you can then go back into the Bios and enable "Intel(R) Speed Shift Technology" and also overclock your Memory if required. You will need to run futher stress tests if you do, to ensure the overclocks are stable.
    For me, I have overclocked some G.Skill 3000MHz sticks to 4000MHz, I also need to increase "CPU VCCIO" and CPU System Agent Voltage" to get my Ram to play nicely with my CPU. Your settings will vary here.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 16 Jul 2020
    Try12 likes this.
  9. icyulkn

icyulkn What's a Dremel?

You the man! Would this work with an AVX offset of 1 too?

Last edited: 15 Jul 2020
  10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

The AVX Offset on my Mobo works like this. 1=100MHz off the max frequency. If you have an overclock of 5.2GHz with an AVX Offset of 1, then your CPU will drop 100MHz when dealing with AVX workloads.

So the question is, you need to find out if it is stable at these settings first, and if so, then you can reduce the AVX Offset.

11. icyulkn

icyulkn What's a Dremel?

I injured my back so when it heals (if I didn’t mess it up permanently) I will try those settings. This is very helpful thank you for this.

12. Sly

Sly What's a Dremel?

Sorry if this thread is a little old but there's not really a guide like it as I am concerned about temps w/ OC and quiet (cool) usage. I tried your initial guide and had to bump to +.020 DVID to test and was hitting 90c 5 seconds into AIDA64. Any suggestions on next steps? I need to up the DVID (I'm assuming) b/c I did BSOD a while later on chrome but I know that's not going to resolve temps. I was on bios F9 at the time and just flashed to 11 but haven't resumed OCing yet.

I don't think this is a screen grab of the OC AIDA test as the max ratios are 48x but perhaps you can glean some info from it as still had high max temps from another test run. I have tried reapplying thermal paste a few times and the spread has always looked decent - rad is heating up so pump isn't out. Playing the Witcher 3 on max for ex. nets me temps in the 70s.

9900kf
    z390 Master
    h150i pro intake config
    2080 w/ aio intake config
    Corsair Dominator 32G 3200

Attached Files:

13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I understand the 9900KF is without the iGPU. From my findings when buying CPU's, if you don't buy into the first batches on release, you will tend to find that over time, they keep the better batches for a newer CPU release. In this case, the 9900KS (Basically a cherry picked 9900K). This tends to mean you won't get a good overclockerable CPU like mine for instance.
    You may find with your CPU, you may only be able to do 5GHz on one core and 4.9GHz on the other seven cores. So try reducing the clocks, and see if you can get 100% stable with say a 4.9GHz overclock on all cores?

14. Sly

Sly What's a Dremel?

Thank's for the reply! From my limited understanding I thought "worse" chips meant they needed more volts to hit higher GHz, but I suppose that's only one side of the coin. Each voltage increase producing more heat than other chips is certainly another variable. Unfortunate. I will try 4.9 on all cores and see what that nets me since my main goal was to get an OC that was more heat efficient than stock turbo boost anyway. Thanks again for the reply and for bringing attention to another path for OC. I'll edit with more appropriate screen grabs if I get any relevant data.

15. Sly

Sly What's a Dremel?

Hi there, I've started playing around again since I have some time today. I was following your most recent setup since its in F11 bios. I set everything the same except left the ratio at 50 instead of 52 and left AVX offset off for now. When I save and load back into bios I'm getting CPU voltage at 1.4v and at desktop vrvout and vcore are both at 1.38-1.4v instead of under 1.3 like your screen shots. Anything obvious you can think of that might be causing this assuming all the settings are the same as yours? If I manually set voltage to 1.2 instead of normal I can't boot.

I'm going to try setting it to 1.2 and giving it an offset to see if I get any change, just thought I'd post while I tinkered.

As far as my temps go I tipped my PC over and got some apparent air out of the AIO pump block and my full load temps were around 70-81c over an hour on AIDA64, so still hotter than I'd expect but not "my AIO if disconnected" hot.

EDIT: I flashed to a beta bios version F11k that was suppose to fix a VID bug when switching between vcore auto and DVID that would throw high voltages due to the VID not resetting and my voltages are down to expected levels.
    Additionally you cannot set vcore manually to 1.2v specifically or you can't boot on any bios due to some other bug. Anything else will supposedly boot.

Last edited: 11 Sep 2020
  16. jasperlevi

jasperlevi What's a Dremel?

Hi OP, I've been using the settings that you have described in your post, and everything is working great, except that my igpu does not perform well at all. I get very glitchy renders, with pixelated interference all over, and sometimes it's so bad that the entire video is just a green mess. If I set my BIOS to all default settings (while keeping the overclock), everything is fine. I have tried many other settings for the LLC and VAXG settings, but nothing works. Will I always have bad igpu performance if I use your settings, or is there a middle ground somewhere?
    Hi OP, I've been using the settings that you have described in your post, and everything is working great, except that my igpu does not perform well at all. I get very glitchy renders, with pixelated interference all over, and sometimes it's so bad that the entire video is just a green mess. If I set my BIOS to all default settings (while keeping the overclock), everything is fine. I have tried many other settings for the LLC and VAXG settings, but nothing works. Will I always have bad igpu performance if I use your settings, or is there a middle ground somewhere?

17. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

That OP has now left the forums, Jasper - hence shows up as Guest-xxxxx.

If you're OC'ing your CPU to its limit, I personally wouldn't be using the igpu... a mild overclock wouldn't affect it but the level of OC that the OP is demonstrating should only be used with external graphics.

jasperlevi and Bloody_Pete like this.
  18. jasperlevi

jasperlevi What's a Dremel?

Hey thanks Sentinel. Ok, so if you look at it, the 9900K is not being pushed too far, if it is just overclocked to 5 GHz. And the 5.2 GHz overclock with an AVX offset of 2 does mean that for any processing activity involving the iGPU (hence an AVX-involving activity), it is more or less the same 5 GHz overclock, which is very stable. Now, in the time that I had posted my query here, and your response, I did get the 5.2 GHz overclock to be stable, without any glitches from the iGPU. SO things are more or less fine, BUT, that's the case when I am booted into Mac OSX. I am running a multi-boot Hackintosh OS X, Windows and Manjaro Linux. Now I understand that I can't really expect anyone else to be running the same config as myself, and most people will refrain from having anything to do with Hackintoshes, but I'll put my post down anyway. My issue is that while I am getting very decent VCore numbers between 1.272 v - 1.325 v in Mac OS, I am getting above 1.4x v in Windows. Now, I don't really care, since I don't use Windows for anything. But I need to know if the numbers I am seeing from HWMOnitor in Mac OS X are the true numbers, and that I am not slowly killing my CPU by overvolting it. Can it be that Windows shows different VCore and VRVOUT numbers than Mac OS X (which does not show VRVOUT anyway)?

19. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

When I OC a CPU with an iGPU, I completely disable the iGPU and run from PCIE graphics.

OCing a cpu requires more power. More power means more heat generated. An IGPU also draws power from that 1.2-1.4v and generates heat. The more power it draws, the less stable your OC and it’s also adding heat which also makes an OC unstable.

You’re robbing Peter to pay Paul....

20. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Here’s a timely video released overnight by Tech Jesus