1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

_______miniG5ized_______:23 of March. `06

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by FanatiK, 28 Sep 2005.

1. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Jazzle, thanx for the support.

2. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Pics of my new workbench and a glimpse of how the fan grill is turning out. Still didnt finish. I ran out of terminals. I`ll pick up some more and finish it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Nov 2005
  3. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Updated. I decided to add two other screw holes to the fan grill. Didnt get a pic but this will help in filling out those two sides of the ring so it wont look so empty.

4. invalid

invalid What's a Dremel?

Great job thus far. Impressive.

5. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

This is awesome work, I can't get over how clean everyting is looking! :)

Keep it up dude :thumb:

6. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Thanx guys. I`m trying to make it look clean but its real time consuming. There is a lot of time filing and sanding to make things fit perfect. Its things you guys dont see and would bore you so I dont post that. I updated the thread. The grill came out better than I anticipated. I live the silver fan beneath the blue ring and silver cables. Everything comes together nicely.

7. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Got the fan all shiny and painted silver.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I got the top grill finish but then I noticed that it looked way better without the middle mesh in it. Without it you can see that shiny circle of the fan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then started a new idea for the metal plate that will hide the imperfections on the top handle.
    [​IMG]
    I changed it from the idea of having the aluminum plate with a blue acrylic peice on top of it. It adds too much thickness to the handle with the metal plate and the acrylic. So now I will have this aluminum piece that is all shined up with my logo cut out.
    [​IMG]
    I`m going to glue this piece of paper to it as a template and use my coping saw to cut out the logo. Then i will drill four holes on the corner to hold it in plate to the handle. Since I didnt have any spray adhesive with me I had to stop there. Thats the wrong logo but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

But I did get the back grill finished before I left. Sorry for the bad pic. It was dark and I couldnt keep my hand steady.
    [​IMG]

8. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Started working on the metal plate today. Since I had my spray adhesive and the right logo printed out. I printed it out in three sizes to pick the best one that would fit and look good. Went with the middle one.
    http://www.rogelioyanez.com//projects/miniG5ized/IMG_1083.jpg

My super 77 to sticky the paper to the metal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drilled holes so I have somewhere to run my blade through.
    [​IMG]

Started cutting out the lettters.
    [​IMG]

Half way there
    [​IMG]

Done. Just need to clean the glue off.
    [​IMG]

Then I fitted on the handle to see where to drill the holes and how much to shorten the plate.
    [​IMG]

Beauty shot of the plate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After the holes where drilled on the metal plate i used a clamp hold it in place while i drilled the holes on the handle and then I tapped them. Still didnt finish.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Nov 2005
  9. s29feb

s29feb What's a Dremel?

WOW :baby:

That is just simply stunning :clap:

I get enough complaints from the wife for just sitting reading forums. If I was to spend that much time and effort on a new comp I would probably be divorced :waah:

10. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

wow.... now thats sweet as!

that grill does look super sexy!

11. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Since I got my workbench its easier for me to just go to my parents house and start working. So I would expect an update to my worklog everyday, hopefully.

Got the plate semi-mounted and removed the tape. I couldnt help it. I wanted to see how it looked against the blue acrylic. Came out better than I imagined.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then when I was cutting the screws to make them shorter so that they wouldnt stick out from the bottom of the handle; I noticed that it would look better if i screwed them in from the bottom. THis way you don`t see the socket. All you see is a flat side. I still need to sand them and clean up the burs from what the tap made. I think it`ll look cleaner that way.

Socket side shown.
    [​IMG]
    Socket side hidden. Looks way better.
    [​IMG]

12. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I have to say that I'm not so keen on the fan grille holding wires - They seem to spoil the 'cleanliness' of the rest of the design.

13. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

I wasn't sure about this at the beginning of the mod - hacking a G5 up like that! However, your concept and workmanship is superb - I really, really like your res!

14. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

I understand where you are coming from but I`m going to use those cables for my cable management inside the case and I thought it would tie everything together nicely. We`ll see though. We`lll just have to wait till I start working on the inside of the case. If it doesnt look clean at the end don`t worry i`ll take them off and redesign something else. :thumb:

15. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Finished the metal plate today. The screws came out very clean filed and sanded down. The one thing i did change was the finish on the plate. After i was done I didn`t like the mirror finish on the plate so I went with a brushed look with 800 grit sandpaper. The mirror finish didnt go with the finish on the case. Looks better now and the plate doesnt contrast with the case anymore. They seem as one. Pics of course.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

beautiful case. some very original ideas and it's turning out great. the blue plexi goes really well with the g5 case.

just one complaint - the first page of your log just about killed my computer. do you think you could split up your big updates in to a few smaller posts so that one page isn't so long? maybe 5 or 6 pictures per post to be nice to us with slower connections?

17. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

K I`ll try that. Another thing I was going to do was use thumbnails. Maybe I`ll convert them to that.

18. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

All the pics on the first page are changed to clickable thumbnails. Hopefully that will help you guys out. I`ll convert the other pics later on.

19. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Started working on the logo cutout for the mobo tray. Decided to dress up the tray since I had a window there and it would be boring to just have the mobo tray there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had to use my dremel scroll saw to cut out the big portion of th tray. I then moved to my coping saw to cutout the letters.
    [​IMG]

Drilled the holes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally cutout with the frosted plexi behind it. I`m going to add white leds behind the plexi to light it up. It should look good after the lighing is done.I didn`t have leds yet so I stopped there
    [​IMG]

Then decided to take away that mirror finish on the psu. It really sticks out being mirrored. Nothing else is so I gave it a brushed look. I still need to work on it more.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I must say, this is an awesome mod.

Keep up the good work dude.