1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress ______RESURREKTION______

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 22 Apr 2011.

1. Akira749

Akira749 New Member

Bill, I noticed on the few last pictures that you did rotate the "skull" cover on the motherboard to be seen correctly with the board oriented at 90 degrees. But this way the airbrush job on the thermal armor around the cover don't fit anymore.

Are you planning some airbrushing adjustments on the armor?

2. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

@Akira, I plan to black it out, it no longer appeals to me.

@Jeremy, yea, drawing a lot of of influence from Rat Rods :thumb:

For the liquid loops, I'm using Clear Plastic PETG Tubing from Excelon. This is the same material used to make Pop bottles, so it won't stain and it's also shatter resistant. Video of PETG tubing for PC hardline. Primochill Clear version of PETG isn't any different than what McMaster sells for less, which is purchased and resold direct from Excelon, who is largest manufacturer of PETG.

Purchase PETG Tubing, 1/2" OD x 3/8" ID, McMaster.com #9245K21

PETG only works with Fittings for 1/2" OD Tubing, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2yZsIzHYdg

PDF Data Sheet for PETG Tubing made by Excelon
    http://www.thermoplasticprocesses.com/sites/default/files/tpi-petg.pdf

I'm using Primoshill "Revolver" compression fittings, but I've painted mine Matte Black.

Here are the steps involved in working with PETG, same identical procedure as cutting and bending the Acrylic tubing from Primochill, so here are the photos I used for the Frozen Tech Station build for FrozenCPU.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm using a Jewelers hand saw, but Hack saw with bi-metal cutting blade also works great.

[​IMG]

Cutting down the PETG tubing to length

[​IMG]

To clean and debur edges of the PETG plastic tubing, you can use hand file or medium grit sandpaper. I've opted for quicker solution and used Plumber's tubing reamer. You can pick-up these Tubing / Pipe Reamers at most Home Improvement Stores, in their Plumbing Aisle. Pretty handy tool for this task, so placed a bulk wholesale order and stocking them here, Acrylic / PETG / Pipe / Tubing Reamer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Place reamer on flat surface, hold it in place, apply pressure while twisting or rotating tube clockwise or counter clockwise*between three blades, then flip reamer upside down and repeat for inner diameter.

[​IMG]

...then flip reamer upside down and repeat for inner diameter.

[​IMG]

It does decent job...*you can also use medium grit sandpaper or hand file as alternative*

[​IMG]

Place Primshill "Revolver" compression fitting shell over PETG tube first, then o-ring

[​IMG]

then insert tubing into compression fitting...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Silicone Fill Tubing, insert into PETG Tubing, 1/2" OD x 3/8" ID, ordered from McMaster.com #9245K21

[​IMG]

Dip the Silicone Fill Tubing in Dish Soap water

[​IMG]

Insert Silicone Fill tubing into the .5" PETG tube before heating the Tubing.

Hold the PETG tubing around 4" above the heat, and keep rotating the PETG tubing over the heat.

PETG tubing is easy to bend by hand, but if you prefer, I made this PETG Tubing Bending Jig, from Acrylic!

[​IMG]

I made it from .5" Clear Acrylic scrap from the workshop. For the bends, I used these aluminum PC case feet Billet PC Case Feet[/b] for two different sized PETG tubing bends.

1-3/4" pc case foot diameter, https://mnpctech.com/pc-computer-st...-rack-server-case-feet/grooved-case-feet.html
    [​IMG]

1" diameter pc case foot, https://mnpctech.com/pc-computer-stereo-desktop-case-feet/mini-itx-pc-case-feet.html
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Placing .5" OD PETG Tubing along channel and 1" case foot, to create 90 degree bend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Aug 2015
  3. Akira749

Akira749 New Member

:thumb:

4. mnpctech

Another note about the PETG tubing from mcmaster, we noticed they're now shipping the PETG tubing in individual plastic bags, after we complained about them arriving unbundled without any protection, so it was getting scratched, so was nice to see they acknowledged our request.

5. mnpctech

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:lol: McMaster doing careful packaging? Is this a sign of the apocalypse or something?

Warning to potential MM customers: If you also order a big chunk of metal, be very descriptive of how you want things packaged.
    The usual packing method is to throw everything in a box, and toss a few bits of un-wadded packing paper on top.

7. mnpctech

[​IMG]

ADATA was founded the same year as Mnpctech, in 2001. I've used ADATA DDR and SSDs in several of our custom PC builds for it's reliability and their exceptional customer support. This project will utilize 32GB ADATA XPG DDR3 and 256GB Preimere Pro SP920SS SSD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've worked with AMD on several different projects. My first build for them was Project Phenom for 2006 Cebit Sow in Germany. AMD delivers good performance for your dollar. I'm using two Radeon R9 270X video cards with Copper blocks from Syscooling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The loop layout and selection of fittings hasn't been finalized in these photos.

[​IMG]

8. OrangeClockwerk

OrangeClockwerk Clockwerk Industries

Awesome stuff man!! This is turning out great! I love the Apogee XL, mine arrived yesterday! I got the clear one and I love it!

Yeah I had McMaster ship to me 1 time, it was super expensive and not packed well. No more being lazy, I now take the 30 minute drive to their facility and use will call at least once a week for parts =D

9. mnpctech

hell yeah, great block for $69! I forgot you can drive there, I'm so envious!!! haha

10. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Looking great!

I never thought frosted tubing could look great but you trump expectations once again! :dremel:

11. mnpctech

Thank you Fanatic!

I've finally finished my H.R. GIGER Tribute PC.

So to summarize everything... It started on this build in 2006, but got it shelved several times for customer commitments. What prompted me to finally get it done? H.R. GIGER's Passing on May 12, 2014. If you've never heard of him, you've probably seen his artwork. He was most well known for his Visual Effects and design work on the first Alien movie, in which he created iconic "Xenomorph" ALIEN. Long before working on that movie, he had established career as a painter, and had a very distinctive style that blended human bodies and machines that he described as "Biomechanical"

The hardware is combination of old and new, since progress has been staggered over past 3 years. The chassis is a Cooler Master 912 turned 90 degrees, and it's been 3 years since the ASUS P67 Sabertooth TUF shield was airbrushed with the Giger theme. The system has two separate liquid loops, the stainless tube reservoir is for the Radeon Crossfire GPU loop (2x 270x) with Hardware Labs Black Ice 360 GTX. This radiator is cooled with Panaflo L1A (38mm thick, 68.9 CFM. Max. noise: 30.0 dB-A). The 360 radiator grill is from Mnpctech.com with D5 pump and Alphacool top, the CPU is 3570, 3.4 GHz, with Swiftech's new Apogee XL waterblock. This is a great waterblock for $69.99. It comes with interchangeable illuminated face plate, which my good friend EEL Ambiense designed a replacement with a Giger-esque design. The cpu loop is PETG hardline tubing with EK 190 & DDC res / pump combo with Hardware Labs Black Ice 120 GTX radiator. Both loops are running distilled water. The system utilizes 32GB of their ADATA's new XPG V2 DDR3, and their Premirer Pro SP920 256GB SSD. The power supply is Corsair 750W. I'll be using this PC in the shop for video editing primarily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Akira749

Akira749 New Member

Amazing result Bill!

13. siliconfanatic

Great to this this finished, looks better than I could have possibly expected!

14. mnpctech

Thanks guys for your comments and support! btw, I really like the 90 degree orientation of the video cards, you can see both sides and easier to see and connect their liquid loop. Turning the chassis on it's face, also allowed location of cpu loop res/pump combo closer to the motherboard, so the loop is very small and efficient.

Ok next up, is deepcool steamcastle case mod.... Hmmmmmm

[​IMG]

15. siliconfanatic

Curvy case is curvy :D

16. mnpctech

Very curvy... and imagining the entire case painted Copper... hmmmmm :eyebrow:

17. mnpctech

The 90 degree orientation really works well with the Cooler Master HAF 912, especially for fitting the 360GTX radiator beneath the motherboard. I could see doing another build with this same approach

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. mnpctech

I gave the PETG tubing a weathered and aged look by airbrushing it with Matte Black paint. Doing this created an eerie reflective glow on the tubing from the illuminated Green Apogee XL waterblock cover.

[​IMG]

19. mnpctech

20. OrangeClockwerk

OrangeClockwerk Clockwerk Industries

Congrats Bill! You are the man! Your HAF912 came out awesome! Well deserved article!! Now we both modded HAF912s and both got an article about them! Cheers my friend!