1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V A better/more direct sound from TV?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pete*, 26 Jul 2017.

1. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Hey guys,

I'm seeing if anyone knows a way I can get a better sound from my TV for my use.
    I'm hard of hearing, wear hearing aids and so I struggle to hear some TVs very well.
    The TV I have is this one
    https://www.tesco.com/direct/sharp-...p9UCFWgz0wodsf8JJg&gclsrc=aw.ds&source=others
    No idea when it went so expensive! I didn't pay that much haha
    But anyhow, is there a way, that doesn't include lots of money on surround systems etc to improve the directional sound of the TV?
    To hear it well, I have it turned up to like, 60+
    It can be heard on third floor and at both neighbours.
    It seems I can hear it better (people's voices at least) when I put the sound setting in "sport" mode.
    But apparently to other people this sounds awful.
    So I'm a bit at a loss. Does anyone know a way to improve it?
    If anyone understands what I am getting at, as I'm struggling to, haha. Barring buying another TV.

Thanks in advance for any help.

(I will check this on pc later and edit to be readable. I've written it on my phone and it looks awful.)

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Wireless headphones.

3. pete*

Can't be headphones as other people watch the TV too.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I think on board sound from today's flat TVs is generally crap.

Samsung seem to be particularly awful (well the ones I've experienced newer ones are probably different).

I only buy Panasonic TVs these days.

I'd suggest maybe looking at getting a sound bar.

5. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

^ soundbar. Nice and neat and will give out plenty of volume.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Set up an induction loop, either around the whole room or just under the sofa, and set the hearing aids to T mode.

There are plenty of guides for how to make one, but the basic version is:
    - Get an old amplifier (or a new one. I'm not your mother)
    - Run a coil of wire around the room with the impedance that amplifier expects (usually 8 Ohm, so your coil needs an impedance of 8 ohm. You can make it up with a resistor added in if needed, for a bit of loss in efficiency),
    - Hook that coil up to the speaker terminals of the amp
    - Connect the input for that speaker channel to the output of the TV

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

As edzieba suggests you can either make a DIY induction loop, buy a retail induction loop, neckloops, and TV listeners, it depends on what best suits your needs and budget.

I can't vouch for any of them BTW as those three links are only to give you a better idea of what's out there. :)

8. pete*

Sorry, meant to reply the other day but didn't have a chance!
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've used loops before (about 10 years ago now), it was horrible.
    I'll see if they have improved since then. The idea of one plugged directly into the TV to get the sound rather than from a mic sounds a bit better and less problematic.
    I'll just have to get to the hospital and get the 'T' setting back on my HA. -_-

Was wondering about soundbars, think that would just be a good idea all round, on top of having a loop.

Thanks all :)

9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

My thought would be to connect some headphones in such a way that you can have the TV speakers on at the same time.

That way the audio would be boosted and very directional for you without effecting anyone else (or the neighbours). If the headphones were nice and open you would still feel "in the room", as it were.

10. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I used to use a headphone splitter with headphones on 1 socket and a decent powered 2.1 speaker system (Logitech X-230) from a PC on the other. It worked extremely well.

11. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That should work with a sound bar too. Splitters are peanuts, I have a couple here I use :)

12. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If the TV audio is fine otherwise a cheap headphone amp connected to the external audio output (not the headphone out) on the TV would probably work too.

13. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

You can usually tell the TV to send the sound signal over both the headphone jack and the speakers. That might be your best bet. The downside is that unless your headphones are powered alone, the TV volume will still need to be loud.