1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other A build with a difference

Discussion in 'General' started by PauloWhysalli, 3 May 2012.

1. PauloWhysalli

PauloWhysalli Confused.com

Just having some building work done on my house and thought in a similar way to a project build thread I would start a house build thread. So over the coming days I will be posting progress reports, updates and any "mods" I have made to the base build.

A quick break down of the build plan

Demolish existing lean-to sun room.
    Rebuild single storey extension, knock through into kitchen and dining room to create a large l-shaped kitchen/dining/snug.
    Raise floor level in kitchen and dining room to meet snug level.
    Raise ceiling height in kitchen and floor height in the bathroom.
    Change various windows, plaster, decorate, fit kitchen and new bathroom, shot blast back of house to remove old paint
    Install technology (sneakily to avoid wifes budgetary requirements).
    Try (unsuccessfully) to keep mess to a minimum.
    Avoid loosing temper with various contracts (probably unsuccessfully)
    Install blue leds to make it look cool (actually wrong build sorry)
    New wiring throughout the extension for sockets and lights

Time for the build - 10 weeks
    Time till insanity lost - 1 week

Oh and we are still living there, our living room is now the kitchen, dining room and living room as well as the dogs home for the next 10 weeks :waah:

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Love the idea.

Fact, no mod is complete without some sort of LED, so best put those plans back in.

3. PauloWhysalli

Thanks thought it might be fun for a change, piccies to follow shortly!

Well I was thinking of LEDs under the kitchen units..... not sure if I will get away with blue neon though :D

Just been home for lunch, walked into what was the dining room and couldn't see my hand in front of my face due to the dust!

4. PauloWhysalli

Ok as promised some pictures initially. I will also be putting up the achitects plans, my own doodles, some of the tech thats going in, design ideas and anything else that comes to mind.

So to start here some of the back of the building

The Back of the House - In all its glory

[​IMG]

The Sun Room - Wood construction with corrigated plastic roof and chipboard floor - Nice!

[​IMG]

2nd Bedroom - Above the Sun Room

[​IMG]

Dining Room - Looking from the dining room into the Sun Room, note the nice carpet

[​IMG]

Sun Room - Looking out into the garden

[​IMG]

Sun Room - One of the boyz, and the nice wooden floor

[​IMG]

Sun Room - Soil Pipe from the toilet into the room, that wall is coming out

[​IMG]

Sun Room again - we will be raising the floor level so its the same as the dining room

[​IMG]

Kitchen - This is all coming out ad the floor level is coming up

[​IMG]

Thats about it for now, got a few more internals to put up and then I will be putting the plans up, drawings, pictures and then some of the house after works have started.

5. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Those are some proper "what ya doin' Mr man?" looks from those two little monsters.

This is a cool idea.

6. PauloWhysalli

Update - Architects Drawings

So as discussed some images of the architects drawings and his notes, might help to make it a bit clearer

Demolitions

[​IMG]

Aspect

[​IMG]

Side View of New Build

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t517/paulowhysalli/Architects Drawings/SideElevation.jpg

Architects Notes and Detail

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t517/paulowhysalli/Architects Drawings/ArchitectsDrawing.jpg

I was going to upload them as PDF's but couldn't remove certain information from them :wallbash:

Work has commenced so I have demolition pictures to share shortly.

7. bsp

bsp Minimodder

Might be an idea to lay down some network cables whilst you're gutting the place ;)

Good luck though. I know how mess this kind of stuff can start to get.

If you're looking at limiting dust flow - try taping some plastic sheets with a vertical slit through the middle to get in and out. It helps a lot!

8. PauloWhysalli

I did think about it but have decided against it as I am going wireless with everything. I have just invested in a couple of Apple Airport Express to stream music from Itunes into the new extension and garden which work very well. Just need to sort out some good speakers for them.

Last edited: 9 May 2012
  9. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I've done this twice now and it's great fun although it can get a bit soul destroying when your sitting in a half built house and the end seem's a long way off. Good luck with it and keep the pictures coming! If your going to be taking down a lot of plaster and lathe then buy a full cover face mask as it makes an enormous difference. Probably the best £70 I spent during the renovations plus you get to pretend your an astronaut when no ones looking. :worried::D

10. PauloWhysalli

First time for us but I have to say that my DIY is stretching no further than painting and decorating, the builders doing all the ripping out although I am tempted by the mask thing :thumb:

I've got loads more pictures to put up and will be doing that later / tomorrow. There's been substantial demolition works so there's a few pictures of that as well as the shot blasted back of the house as well.

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I leave most of it to the pro's as well, I just do some of the labouring as I know most of the tradesmen I employ. I also tend to do the donkey work like demolition as it doesn't require skill and keeps the costs down.

12. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

Update Update love things like this...

13. PauloWhysalli

Update coming over the weekend, got a load more pictures to put up, demolition is well under way and the downstairs toilet is taking shape!

14. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

very nice - although the AV forums have an entire house modding sections, there's literally thousands of peoples home builds. Some truly amazing log and ideas there, well worth a look.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Gotta love the 70's and 80's --when they ripped out priceless wooden sash windows from Victorian terraces and replaced them with cheap PVC windows of totally the wrong proportions. Ugh!

We live in a relatively preserved one, but we are spending a fortune putting back the original features so indiscriminately ripped out 20 years ago.

16. PauloWhysalli

May pop over and have a look thanks for the heads up. Probably won't join though as I don't have the time to post in loads of forums.

Couldn't agree more, ours look wrong against the rest of the row. We will be having smaller ones put in with some Georgian bars but they will be Upvc, can't warrant the cost for wood frames unfortunately.

We have some original features such as the coving but most of ours have been ripped out to. We will be replacing in some places but not everything due to the cost again.

17. JPicasso

JPicasso What's a Dremel?

The kitchen cabinetry all looks quality, is it being trashed, or being put to the side and re-installed? what kind of flooring are you putting in?

18. PauloWhysalli

Not sure if there is a level of irony there but will assume there is :D Kitchen units are all going to be replaced. I will post up some pictures shortly relating to what sort of thing we are going for.

Flooring is probably this http://www.karndean.co.uk/en-gb/floors/products/kp39-warm-oak.aspx?fromsearch=true although we haven't definately decided as of yet. Already been out and walked on some and its warm underfoot, durable and looks and feels like real wood.

19. PauloWhysalli

Ok so as mentioned earlier works have progressed a fai bit. The main things that have been done are as follow.

Sun Room has come down and drains have been put in.
    Downstairs toilet is taking shape, will be plumbed in by the end of today, then the bathroom is coming out.
    Back of the house has been shot blasted.
    Ceilings are down in the dining room and kitchen.
    Kitchen units have come out (well most of them anyway).
    New damp proof course has gone in (as there wasn't one for the back of the house).
    New windows have been ordered.
    Steels are due to arrive Wednesday.

And some pictures of demolitions to start us off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the downstairs toilet is still a work in progress but something like this :D

[​IMG]

Soil pipe has gone in and dropped down into the cellar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then outside under where the new extension is being built

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Toilet and pipes in ready for the sink and radiator

[​IMG]

Back of the house shotblasted and grinding out started prior to repointing

[​IMG]

More updates and photos to follow but loads going on this week so some substantial updates to come...

20. JPicasso

JPicasso What's a Dremel?

Hilarious. Well, from the one picture, the cabinets looked to be in good shape. Perhaps the camera lies to me.

So is that strip vinyl? or laminate "wood". I have real wood floors in my kitchen right now, and I'd much rather have a nice vinyl. We cook, and my wife and I are very good at dropping things. so are our kids. A durable vinyl would fare much better than the wood has.