1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice A few questions about my current build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrhrk01, 12 Jun 2010.

1. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It sounds like it might be worth installing the bottom mounted fans like you suggested. Seems to me like there's not enough air in that case.

2. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

it had to happen at some point in some build by someone :D

3. mrhrk01

mrhrk01 What's a Dremel?

Yep I also seem to think so, I have just ordered the Gentle Typhoon as well as a Wireless PCI card, so hopefully some time tomorrow I will get to type a post on the forum from my new PC :)

Lol, it was a simple enough mistake to make, but also simple enough to fix :)
    I am just very happy that the new system working very well am.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Negative air flow is regarded at better than positive, as any hot air is literially being sucked out of the system :)

And I found on my machine and my mates i7 that if you leave the vcore on standard setting it'll be 0.2-0.5v higher than you need and you can lop off 5-10 C while keeping stability :)

And remember, all CPU's are different, you may just have one that runs hot.

5. mrhrk01

mrhrk01 What's a Dremel?

Im not sure I want to change the vcore settings atm. Thinking about it more, I could decrease the vcore by the tiniest amount possible and see whether the CPU is still stable and the temps have decreased decreased..

I have ordered two of the Gentle typhoon fans. I am thinking of having a push/pull system for the CPU Cooler. I am thinking of installing just the one Typhoon fan first (onto the CPU so that the CPU cooler will have two fans), and monitoring the CPU temps on load and idle.

I am then thinking of adding the second extra fan which will be placed at the bottom of the case. I think even if I do install these two fans, the case would still have negative air pressure, as it would have 2 massive exhaust fans at the top and a single exhaust fan at the back . The front single fan & the bottom placed fans would be the 2 fans which would be intake.

The extra fan onto the CPU would just help the air flow out of the system quicker that it is atm hopefully. So in the grand scheme of things I think the case would still maintain nagetive pressure but at a reduced rate that it was before.

Hopefully that made sense, it made sense whilst i was thinking of it and typing it lol.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeh, that should be ok, my mates ATCS has the same and it runs beautifully. You may want to populate the fan spaces on the HDD rack too :)

7. mrhrk01

mrhrk01 What's a Dremel?

So I got my three Gentle Typhoon fans today, and i suddenly got another Idea into my head :idea:

This idea was to mount one of the fans onto the existing Titan Fenrir fan just as an experiment nothing else , to see whether this would help my CPU temps.

I have kept my overclock at 3.1 Ghz:

CPU Temp Under 100% load with just one CPU fan(the default one with Titan Fenrir): 71-82 Celsisus.

CPU Temp Under 100% load with the new Gentle Typhoon fan added: 67-76 Celsisus

Result: A 4-6 Celsius drop in the CPU temp. :thumb:

Update:

I also run the another test but at 3.3 Ghz
    Findings:
    CPU Temp Under 100% load with just one CPU fan(the default one with Titan Fenrir): 79-88 Celsisus.

CPU Temp Under 100% load with the new Gentle Typhoon fan added: 75-84 Celsisus

Result: An average of 4 Celsius drop in the CPU temp. :thumb:

Not bad for an experiment :)

This result was with running Prime 95 for about 10-15 minutes.

Now onto installling the 2 other fans I have still to install and see what that does to the CPU temps :)

Of the remaining two fans left, I am thinking of installing one as a intake fan on the bottom of the CPU and the other one, as an pull fan on the other side of the CPU cooler :)

Last edited: 15 Jun 2010
  8. bulldogjeff

Sounds like a plan, the only thing with installing the fans on the Titan is that they are not PMW fans and wont be controlled by the mobo, they'll just run at a constant speed instead.

9. mrhrk01

mrhrk01 What's a Dremel?

:thumb:

All fans that I have installed today are running at full speed, and its not loud at all, the noise is audible but not loud. Im used to much louder fan noise (old PC was very loud). so its all great.

Now me thinks, I should buy a camera and put a pic up of my case, and the Cooler set up, as I am sure some of you will want to see how the fans are mounted etc ...

Just been doing some more testing and the CPU temps are defo dropping :clap: - which is fantastic. :)

I would like to try the Aqua Tuning Phobya (spelling ?) fan, as that looks like a nice fan, not sure of its specs though ...

And I am typing this post from my new PC, as I also received the Wireless PCI card, and have installed it. All is working beautifully :) :rock:

10. bulldogjeff

wooohooo new Pc on the go...lol

What sort of temp are you getting at idle with the new fans?

11. mrhrk01

mrhrk01 What's a Dremel?

Im getting around 37-39 at 3.3 Ghz (which is idling at 1.8 Ghz) but this is with one side of the case taken off, just monitoring a few things to ensure all is good before i put the panel back on :)

Im not sure exactly why ithe CPU temp is at around 37-39, i would have expected it to have fallen with the same rate as load temps, with the 2 new fans i have installed, but I do know that the load temps are the more important ones, idle temps are apparently not always accurate as they are very far away from the TJ max ... i think

12. bulldogjeff

The TJ max will be at the opposite end of the scale, it's where the cpu will start throttling back to protect itself from over heating.

13. mrhrk01

mrhrk01 What's a Dremel?

I am still learning :), but what I meant was that apparently the higher the CPU temperatures , the more accurate a reading you will get, and the lower they are i.e at idle the less accurate the temps will be. Thats what i read whether that is true or not, I don't know, do let me know :)

14. bulldogjeff

I've always found bios temps to be pretty accurate and I use CPUID HW Monitor and find that very consistent aswell on just about any mobo.

15. mrhrk01

mrhrk01 What's a Dremel?

I wasn't using the bios to report the temps today, I was using Real Temp. Maybe I should use them both to get the temps.

16. bulldogjeff

like I said the cpuid one is good. Gives loads of info, temps voltages etc

17. mrhrk01

mrhrk01 What's a Dremel?

:thumb:

CPU ID is being downloaded as i type this message :)

Thanks again

18. bulldogjeff

Thats ok mate

19. seanbean

seanbean Certa Cito

While you're at it you might consider downloading GPU-Z which gives a pretty comprehensive picture as to what your GPU is up to.

20. mrhrk01

mrhrk01 What's a Dremel?

@ bulldogjeff and seanbean - Thanks again guys really helpful :)