1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos A few shots from recent Yosemite trip

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Ligoman17, 17 Jun 2010.

1. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 New Member

Last weekend I visited Yosemite Valley for some relaxation and hiking. :cooldude: We had a lot of snow this year and with the recent warm weather the waterfalls were absolutely gushing. I brought my 500D + EF 17-40 lens on the trail from the valley floor to the top of Nevada Falls. The shots have kind of a point 'n shoot look to them because, well, that's exactly what I did. It was so hot and with with 4 liters of water already weighing me down I decided to leave the tripod + filters in the car. In any case, on to the show...

A rainbow over the rapids below Vernal Falls. The spray from the waterfall was so intense it was like standing in a cold shower. Definitely tested Canon's claim that the 17-40 is weather sealed (it is!).
    [​IMG]

Nevada Falls
    [​IMG]

An engineer tries his hand at art
    [​IMG]

Ligoman's hiking buddy perched on the edge of Nevada Falls
    [​IMG]

Pointing the camera straight down from the top of Nevada Falls. You're looking down a 180 meter sheer cliff :jawdrop:
    [​IMG]

And finally, on our way out of the park, the ubiquitous "Tunnel View" of Yosemite Valley and many landmarks. From the right: Bridal Veil Falls, Cathedral Rocks, Half Dome and El Capitan. It was shot mid-afternoon under harsh lighting, but I was able to balance it with just a circular polarizer on the sky.
    [​IMG]

Overall it was a great, albeit short trip. I have a followup excursion planned in a few weeks where I'll have time to shoot the landmarks under more dramatic sunrise/sunset lighting conditions. Until then, hope you enjoyed the set! :thumb:

2. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I absolutely love #2 and #6. Beautiful stuff.

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I wish I hadn't lost my C-pol. I got to use it for a grand total of 10 shots before it disappeared into the mess that is my apartment.

Great shots, especially the last.

4. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 New Member

Thanks guys.

Chris - you produce some amazing work and your feedback is much appreciated.

Stonedsurd - I hope you find that cpl; it's an invaluable tool (and expensive to replace...)

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Turns out my roommate packed it in with his stuff. He mailed it back to me, should have it tomorrow or today.

I'd like to get some practice in.

6. stuartpb

stuartpb Well-Known Member

Great photos! Regarding photo 5, are you mad?? I was getting vertigo just looking at the pic!!:D Photo 2 is my favourite.